Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

he also forgets that it was the usa british and austarlians who nurtured the repugnant sex trade that has so restricted the countries development and fostered its somewhat negative image amongst so many.still producing 60% of foreign male "tourism"

leading to an horific incidence of aids made worse by the farang ignorance that to be active is safe and the closet homosexual to carry the disease to his spouse or partner elsewhere.

i so want to live here and a few rules may need to be adhered to but lets hope a new generation of long stay and respectful farang will help turn this glorious country around.

oops as it says im a newbie and keep erasing the quote to which my diatribe refers, but if you have been reading all the bits im sure which narrow minded facist got my goat

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always transfer enough money to ensure I have the required amount to assure my "Marriage Visa" is in place prior to my interview for another years Visa...Right now I dont have the required 400,000 in my bank. I think I have 350,000, and my nxt visa renewal is next month :o

Sure I can transfer the money tomorrow from my Offshore account, but from what I am reading this is not good enough.

Maybee I will get kicked out...or won't I? :D

TP

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost.

I don't know what Hague will do about it but what you say is bull. Tell me one other country that does not allow you to live in it if you are married to one of their nationals.

This is allowed in all of the Americas, North and South and in all of Europe. Asia may be differen, Africa too, I don't have som much experiene there, but "virtually every country in the world" is just bull, pure unadulterated!

Depends on what you mean by living in it. I am currently living in China. I am married to a Chinese lady and we have a baby together. According to Chinese authorities, if you are a foreigner married to a Chinese national you are allowed to get a one-year tourist visa-that's all. But, you are not allowed to legally work on this visa. So, yeah, you can stay in the country, but you cannot work while you are here.

What are the things i see here ???? Everybody was familiar with the old rules , they were confusing and difficult sometimes but somebody knew how they worked . Now they are new so everybody has to figure them out . ...probably going to take a while , but then it is business as usual again , like somebody said here before . However i see big , very big problems for Thai economy in the near future . The housing market will have a serious rumble . You can say , it is only a small part and you are true but these are up market values as farangs do not buy ( build ) small wooden houses . Tourist industry is in the rough water allready and this will not make it better . I mean , Malaysia sure wants a piece of the big pie in this industry , samelike many other countries in this region ( Vietnam , Cambodia ..... ) and they will certainly attrct more pople if Thailand stays in the news like it is now . It doesn't really matter for the 2 week holidaymaker but for somebody who wants something in the future , they are going to look at the other countries around . According to investment bankers and money traders , TBH is seriously overvalued and with all this going on we can see a big crash coming... look at the signs ....

[a new generation of long stay and respectful farang will help turn this glorious country around.

i recommend , you read on daily base THE NATION and BANGKOKPOST, visit local chanell like on sophorn cable about crimes, or look thursdays police 11.30 pm channel 7.

BKKPost for high profiled corruption and other related things and the rest fr cirme

GLORIOUS COUNTRY ........just open your eyes and look around you ( for example waste,spoiling nature)

GLORIOUS SAME LIKE THE NEW RULES

Ernest Hemingway, who resided in Cuba and Spain with a bohemian lifestyle, wouldn't have been welcome in Thailand. The Buddha himself would have a hard time adhering Thai immigration authorities - with his Inidan/Nepali nationality, no bank accounts, no pension, no paying taxes. The point here is it takes all types. Those who are well off enough to jet thousands of miles to renew a visa, good for you, but don't let your ample funds and easy visas make you smug - and wind up looking down on the less well-heeled among you - as Thai authorities do as eveidenced by their ill-thought-out policies.

.....Those who are well off enough to jet thousands of miles to renew a visa, good for you, but don't let your ample funds and easy visas make you smug - and wind up looking down on the less well-heeled among you - as Thai authorities do as eveidenced by their ill-thought-out policies.

Maybe you should get a job.

If you can't legally support yourself here, maybe you should go home and get on the unemployment benefit, or do you already have your friends reporting for you and the money is directly credited to your bank account ?

Hi

I own stocks/part in a familybusinnes and have payment of 150.000baht every month.That mean

I not work offshore or anything else.I am retaired but only 44 years.I dont do any work here

and I dont go back more than once evry secon year.Marraige to thai and baby on the way.

I dont realy fit in anywere,so any know wath I should.I have non im O for 3 months but them

I extend but Iam not fitt in of anything I read or I missed something??

I feel so sorry for the hundreds of people who will be kicked out like rubish most who have very little to return with, i hope thailand goes bankruped and tourists get to know first hand what the thais are doing to the forigner, then they will boycot.

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost.

I don't know what Hague will do about it but what you say is bull. Tell me one other country that does not allow you to live in it if you are married to one of their nationals.

This is allowed in all of the Americas, North and South and in all of Europe. Asia may be differen, Africa too, I don't have som much experiene there, but "virtually every country in the world" is just bull, pure unadulterated!

It is not a slam dunk in Denmark any more, and I believe several other EU states have similar legislations.

i think if you were not so reactionaryh it would be plainly obvious that my use of the word glorious prefered to the physical geography the visual the traditional and not the damaged, i suspect i tweaked a guity nerve. surely every country has parts which are glorious, if dispoiled by human it is no fault of the soil.

[a new generation of long stay and respectful farang will help turn this glorious country around.
i recommend , you read on daily base THE NATION and BANGKOKPOST, visit local chanell like on sophorn cable about crimes, or look thursdays police 11.30 pm channel 7.

BKKPost for high profiled corruption and other related things and the rest fr cirme

GLORIOUS COUNTRY ........just open your eyes and look around you ( for example waste,spoiling nature)

GLORIOUS SAME LIKE THE NEW RULES

Ernest Hemingway, who resided in Cuba and Spain with a bohemian lifestyle, wouldn't have been welcome in Thailand. The Buddha himself would have a hard time adhering Thai immigration authorities - with his Inidan/Nepali nationality, no bank accounts, no pension, no paying taxes. The point here is it takes all types. Those who are well off enough to jet thousands of miles to renew a visa, good for you, but don't let your ample funds and easy visas make you smug - and wind up looking down on the less well-heeled among you - as Thai authorities do as eveidenced by their ill-thought-out policies.

Once every 18 months is just not that big of a hardship is it? The monthly run costs most folks around 24k baht/year. It is possible to get to Many places for that amount of $. <plus the 3 'extra' months of a non-imm-multi would make it 30k ... and then you could in theory stretch 90 days more by visa-exemptions so no savings on those 3 months> So a couple of nights hotels and a 5000 baht visa later .... and you should be fine!

(b)In case of the applicant who is married to a Thai wife, one of them or both of them need to have the total annual income that is averaged out not less than 40,000 Baht per month.[/b] Except for the case that the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife. Then if the applicant does not have the said income, then, the latest 3 months records of the account book of any Bank in Thailand with the account name of either or both parties need to have the amount of money not less than 400,000 Baht.

. According to the Criterion No. 6, the applicant is required to attach the certificate of having the savings in the bank account of any Bank in Thailand and copy of the bank account, or evidences of personal income of either party or both that shows the total income of both parties not less than 40,000 Baht per month, such as the evidence of the personal income tax filing and the receipt, evidence of being a pensioner, credentials of receiving the interest of the saving money, or the evidences of having other income from other related organizations.

Example: Your Thai wife makes more than 40,000 Baht per month. If she can show proof, you as a foreigner do not need to show proof of income in Thailand or outside Thailand.

Example: You do not work and neither does your wife. You must show proof of pension, from a letter of such from your Embassy that you get more than 40,000 Baht per month.

Example: You now for the first time apply for the so called married man's visa. You cannot just show just 400,000 Baht in the bank account to qualify. You need to show you and your wife gets a personal income not less than 40,000 Baht per month. If your income is inside Thailand, you need a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

let say my wife make 40k+ baht a month and have 400,000k+ baht in bank account, in another word she is supporting me, every penny come from her, i do nothing, no job, income, or saving, would this still qualify me for a marriage visa

By the way -- I get interest on my money in UK banks and only bring it here to satisfy immigration then back to UK -- Thai banks don't give interest and so we are robbed even more.

:D

You clearly are mistaken.

Thai banks do pay interest for accounts held by foreigners and the tax at source is only 15%, a tad less than UK methinks... :o

Indeed the banks her do pay interest but the rate for instant access account is only 0.75% pa. Now what I will do is with my 650K Baht annual pension just deposit 150K Baht in a new and separate Thai Bank savings account fixed for 6 months or 1 year and just not touch it. I earn in such an account 4 or 5% last time I looked at the local banks interest rates. so with my embassy pension letter and the reasonable level of interest earning fixed deposit bank account all should be okay.

But what of poor sods who have been here retired for several years who have less than 800K Baht pension (though 600K per year is more than enough to live on here) and have no capital to top it up having borrowed it at visa renewal time before. Seems very hard on them when they have used all their capital on buying themselves a small retirement condo to live in here in a country they can afford to live in too. These very people who are not wealthy will have to take out a UK or USA or wherever loan at exorbitant interest rates (like 18% pa in the UK !!) yet it is these honest but older retired folk who can ill afford the extra outlay. Sorry the whole think stinks and is immoral, hit the poor rather than the rich the good old unacceptable face of capitalism is at work here me thinks. The criteria for living in any country should be that you are honest and can support yourself so not a burden on a society that is not your own by birth. That is too much common sense for them here though by the sound of it, shame as I personally love Thailand and hate to see such crass stupidity.

[Work permit regulations.

Those applying for work permits for the first time will first require a non-immigrant business (type “B”) visa from a Thai consulate or embassy abroad. This will only be granted if the applicant has a Wp3 work permit receipt form from the Labour Office, photocopy of all limited company registration papers, all official paperwork showing company stamp, invitation letter from the limited company advising on your potential role and stating salary, photocopy of your passport, two passport size photos. ]

I don't understand this part, unless something has been lost in translation.

A non-immigrant B visa will only be granted if you have a work permit receipt from the labour office????

You need a non-immigrant B to submit an application in the first place, don't you?

I'm hoping to get my non-imm B renewed in Singapore this week and will be applying for a work permit after the renewal. Fingers crossed.

Noel said:

That said, there may well of course be some truth in their sensationalistic screed, but I really do doubt that Retirees extending their Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visas for the umpteenth time will be told that they are no longer eligible because they have not maintained a balance in excess of 800,000 Baht three months prior to their annual renewal.

Of course, it might well be the case for first time applicants, as that a least would make some sort of sense.

It will be interesting to read firsthand accounts of actual experiences over the coming weeks… :D

Noel, I will be going for my 3rd retierment visa extension Tuesday morning.

I have always used the B800,000 route in the past.

In October, 2005 I renewed with B945,000 in my account.

By April, 2006, my balance was down to B 100,000, so I wired over another B900,000.

Last week, I was down to a small balance again and wired over another B950,000 to be ready for my renewal.

I will be very surprised if they give me a hard time about this new regulation.

On the other hand, who knows?

A full trip report will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Twin

Thanks for that Twin, and I will await your report with interest.

I personally believe you will have no problem whatsoever, but I will cross my fingers for you all the same... :o

you can't get a work permit with-out a B, if you get work permit with-out a B that mean you work illegaly, you can't get a B with-out work permit, and how are you suppose to go around all this. what idiotcy

This is all overwhelming. I am married to a Thai wife from the Isaan for the past 32 years and have

resided in the US with annual return-trips back to visit family and friends on the 30-day tourist visas

upon arrival. We will retire in 2007 and wish to reside at least part of the year in Thailand, as we have

a home built there already. What is gonna happen for us? What sort of visa should we apply for? My

wife is a holder of a Thai-id, on the tabian-baan and yet is also a US-citizen and travels on a US pass-

port. What visa will be our best bet for ease of extended-stay? Any information will be helpful. All of

this new immigration-change is overwhelming........

I am amazed at how many people need or want to ask about their future in the LOS on Tv...

If is it so serious why oh why are they / you not talking to lawyers/visa consultan6ts that can really help you?

puzzled :o

I wonder what the future for the Condo, market will be? With no more investment visa's being issued, and no new threshold set, who in their right minds, is going to buy a Condo, and those who's stay is based on such an investment, will be trapped, into holding on to theirs. How many Thais opt for Condos over houses?

Good point,

Condos may turn into Time Shares, :o

Nong Khai have always checked up with our local police for the first 'married' extension of stay. And there have been previous warnings that, when Nong Khai sends our papers to Bangkok, it will be checked that we don't just have our 400,000 bahts in for a few days once a year!

I thought that if one sticks the 400000 or whatever in a fixed account it was possible (no idea if it is still the same) to pay 2% or so to free the amount up but leave it in the fixed account, ie in fact borrowing your own money back. Might be more profitable then if one can earn more then 2% with the cash...

This is all overwhelming. I am married to a Thai wife from the Isaan for the past 32 years and have

resided in the US with annual return-trips back to visit family and friends on the 30-day tourist visas

upon arrival. We will retire in 2007 and wish to reside at least part of the year in Thailand, as we have

a home built there already. What is gonna happen for us? What sort of visa should we apply for? My

wife is a holder of a Thai-id, on the tabian-baan and yet is also a US-citizen and travels on a US pass-

port. What visa will be our best bet for ease of extended-stay? Any information will be helpful. All of

this new immigration-change is overwhelming........

Does your wife not have a Thai Passport?

Regardless, the obvious option for you is to apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa. On the assumption You can apply on the grounds of supporting a Thai wife or retirement, the latter being on the assumption that you are at least fifty years of age.

Of course you will have to meet the financial requirements if you wish to extend, whichever of the above routes you take.

On the other hand, if you plan to spend three months or less in the Kingdom per annum, then a (real) Tourist Visa is also an option.

what level of pension do you need to negate the need for cash in bank ?

if you are a newbie and not married to a Thai, it is B800,000 divide by 12 months [assuming you are paid monthly]. So that means B66,667/month. For more details look at Thai Visa front page index.

Very interesting stuff - Alot of head scratching going on, and many people uncertain about there future here in Thailand. It taken me about 2 hours to get to the end of this topic, thinking there would be some kind of answer to it all. I dont think im any the wiser, and only hold my own views as like most people here. Personaly I think the visa laws will change again in the near future. Right now I can only imagine there is something that we are all missing but cannot place the finger on it. There were nearly 600 people reading this post an hour ago, its now down to 400+. How many westerners are there in Thailand does anybody know? I dont think thare are many, judging from my observation while driving around the streets of BKK, and if you do happen to spot one the chances are they are tourists. Thailand is changing and it changes everybody who stays here. If your unhappy and unsure about your future here, then you should seriously reconcider. There is a new governing power and we should all wait and see what happens.

There seems to be a lot of panic here:

For those married to Thais, I can see the new 3 month rule with the cash is a bit of a puzzle and a nusiance. What nobody has mentioned though is this:

When applications for marriage visas are made, immigration check all the paperwork and if it does not meet up exactly, they should question you further. They can use their power and discretion in every case, and even those who meet the standards can be refused (a visa).

For those residing for many years here (with proof); (take along the Thai wife); (Bank books) (pensions) etc. An immigration supervisor/manager will use his/her discretion. There are many people of all nationalities here; who have marriage visas while not quite meeting exact requirements.

Everyone seems to have someone to blame. Living here on continuous 30 day visa stamps has always been preposterous (and expensive); living here on constant tourist visas is also suspicious.

The way to go is home country issued non-'O' s. Which can last upto 15 months given the right math.

Some posters here seem to think that it is their right to demand multiple tourist visas in contiguous countries to Thailand. I have done it myself in the past, thought myself lucky, whilst all along knowing I should be on a non-O.

I really suspect that those who are panicking need to be honest with themselves: Why are you not on the right visa? A trip home might cost U.S.$1000 economy; but that trip would yield peace at mind, the right visa and a lot less hassle and uncertainty.

Some posters, and they know who they are; are living hand to mouth, very little savings and just 20-30 thousand baht a month from their home country income, where they have either burnt their bridges or else cannot afford to return. I do not have any problem with these people, but it is they, and they alone who have ruined the system for oil and gas workers who work and visit Thailand on 30 day visas.

I stand to be corrected or criticised. These are my views alone.

I for one, see the newly defined rules as making it easier for TOURISTS, like myself. For us, a visa obtained from a Thai Consulate in Canada will now mean 3 months stay in Thailand without the difficulty, cost and basically silly necessity, to do a visa run after 30, 60 or whatever days.

It seems to consolidate what was already in place (the 60+30) but without the need to do a visa run.

what level of pension do you need to negate the need for cash in bank ?

65000 Baht/mth

Even if one has a pension/income of 65K Baht/month or more this does not necessarily negate the need for at least SOME cash in the (Thai) bank when applying for the 365 day extension of stay

based on retirement. Ive seen numerous posts by those who have income in excess of 65K baht/month who were told they also need money in a Thai bank acct. How much that would be is,of course,dependent on the individual case involved. But I try to have as much as possible (in my case about 300K baht) even tho my income exceeds 65K baht/mo AND also show that Im actually using the acct. for living expenses throughout the year. The question now seems to be(for those of us who need less than the 800K baht each year) Does the amount we do keep in the bank have to be there as far in advance as it would if we actually needed the full 800K? Anyone who is 'in the same retirement boat" as I am,please dont hesitate to PM me with any info.

All the best,the Harpman