Enormous Shakeup Of Visa And Immigration Rules

My dad always taught me that when you are a guest in another person's house, you ask permission before getting a beer out of the refridgerator. We, those of us living here are guests. I would encourage us to live quietly and peacefully. Let our "Jai rohn" tempers settle, and be pragmatic about the situation.

My 2 satang

Peace

Guests don't pay. You are closer to being a 'customer' in this country than a 'guest'.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the extension of the Tourist Visa to 90 days has simplified things enourmously. No more hassles with extensions.

Bugger the 30 day border hops. I'm sure the expense of doing 1 Tourist Visa Run every 3 months would be cheaper than 3 border hops in 3 months .. and less hassle to boot! I think a border hop to Cambodia with one of the visa run buses costs around 2000 Baht (never used them) .. thats 6000 baht every 3 months. How much to pop down to Penang ONCE every 3 months for a Tourist Visa? Anyone got the figures?

Just use Tourist Visas. 4 visa runs a year every 3 months. Simple.

I am not sure that it is as simple as you suggest, already we have seen examples of passports being stamped with words to the effect of "too many visits to Thailand... no more visa from here". It is always up to the officer at the Embassy/Consulate to decide if he/she wants to grant a visa or not. It would seem that it may not be possible to get 'back-to-back' tourist visas anymore, only time will tell.

This seems to be just about what has been discussed at length for several weeks here with the addition of the 3 month retirement deposit and medical information. If anyone processing this week can confirm changes as they experience them it will be most helpful.

Having read all the posts so far - 17 pages, I agree with lopburi3's first post on the subject.

Those reading through the thread should bear in mind that the original post is just the opinion of a journalist

...... lets see what our members experience and report back.

QUOTE:

I wonder what the future for the Condo, market will be? With no more investment visa's being issued, and no new threshold set, who in their right minds, is going to buy a Condo, and those who's stay is based on such an investment, will be trapped, into holding on to theirs. How many Thais opt for Condos over houses?

I'd imagine that considering the virtual non-existant regulations in regard codes of practice to do with honest selling in Thailand it will make virtually no difference. Prices near me have rocketed to western values in recent years, with poorer quality in most cases (other than size) and most constructed with Burmese and such like labour costs.

Case after case of ripoffs, mis-sold land and a stack of other pitfalls and roads to ruin. Has it stopped foreign tourists buying in their droves listening to wonderfully honest real estate agents that make Thaksin look like an angel from above?

Not in the least. A fool and his money are easily parted and for now I don't see much changing!

The mentality amongst most who visit once or twice is that everywhere in the world has the same legal safeguards as Europe. I think there may be more than a few screams if this falls like a stack of cards in the next year or two!!

Edited by makavelithedon

My dad always taught me that when you are a guest in another person's house, you ask permission before getting a beer out of the refridgerator. We, those of us living here are guests. I would encourage us to live quietly and peacefully. Let our "Jai rohn" tempers settle, and be pragmatic about the situation.

My 2 satang

Peace

Guests don't pay. You are closer to being a 'customer' in this country than a 'guest'.

Tue 03 Oct 06, 10:59 a.m.

Pragmatism is fine, but I get tired of hearing this "guest" euphemism used as a tactic to shut down discussion of topics one doesn't like and points of view one disagrees with. At least when we are a "guest" at the Holiday Inn, we get a mini-bar, room service and maybe a little bottle of shampoo! When you examine this "guest" euphemism thoughtfully, what does it really mean? A "guest" in Thailand is a person

(1) Who is present incountry

(2) Must pay taxes, but

(3) Has no vote, no representation or direct access to government services.

(4) May only work or conduct business under certain and very restrictive circumstances.

(5) May not own property.

(6) Has no automatic right to be with his Thai spouse and family

(7) And even when that is sorted, it remains a chore and to maintain ongoing legal status.

(8) Must leave the country every 90 days or report his address to the gov quarterly.

(9) Is often over-charged for things because it is assumed he is rich.

(10) Last is best; may be summarily imprisoned and deported for a minor infraction such as miscalculating a date and overstaying a visa.

I could go on . . .

And before anyone accuses me of "whining" I challenge you to dispute one fact, just one little fact, that I have listed above. I am all for pragmatism. And I endeavor (although not always successfully) to make that a priority in my dealings with people and circumstances. However, in order for me to be effectively "pragmatic" I need first acknowledge reality, and not falsely comfort myself with some sentimental fantasy that we are "guests" in the same sense as we are when we go to visit Granny on Christmas! Maybe there is no really adequate term to describe what we are, but "guest" is a euphemism and a polite expression, nothing more. According to official government forms we are "aliens." Such terms may offend some more than others, but think I'd rather be an "alien" than a "guest." At least it is more honest.

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

Is this part for real? No more multiple entry visas unless you go HOME?

They gotta be kiddin' me. Ten years in-country and there is NO way known my business makes enough money to fly me home to Aussie every year. Shit, that'd cost me at least 60,000 to 80,000 Baht and no way we can afford that.

QUOTE:

Multiple entry visas.

Many Thai consulates in the Pacific rim, specifically Penang, have now issued statements that they will issue only single entry visas in future. This ruling is irrespective of type. However, if foreigners choose to return to the country of their passport (say Europe, USA, Australia) they may find that multiple entry visas, both tourist and non-immigrant, are still being awarded. The reasoning seems to be that if you need a double, triple or multiple entry visa, then go back to your own country.

END QUOTE:

Anybody got any follow up on this item? Like, can we just skip Penang and do Kuala Lumpur?

I think for many farangs here, who are totally legal right now, having to fly home to US, UK, EU, Aussie, whatever, would hurt their small business very badly in terms of cash...

Comments? Should I begin freaking out now?

This seems to be just about what has been discussed at length for several weeks here with the addition of the 3 month retirement deposit and medical information. If anyone processing this week can confirm changes as they experience them it will be most helpful.

Having read all the posts so far - 17 pages, I agree with lopburi3's first post on the subject.

Those reading through the thread should bear in mind that the original post is just the opinion of a journalist

...... lets see what our members experience and report back.

I agree. This comes from a journalist and not the Immigration office although certainly changes are in store, however the new government hasn't been approved yet and once they come in they'll take a look a tweak the rules yet again.

Aside from that it sounds like the tower of babel has collapsed this morning

IF you have a letter from the us embassy showing you have an income of 1,100 or so in the states, ( apx 42,000 baht) ( do they ask for any papers to verify?)

which comes to 500,000 baht/year then you only need to show 300,000 in the bank 3 months before am I correct?

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost.

For those that are genuine there will be no problem. For those that are scamming expect to get caught out.

It's the same the world over.

Get a lawyer. Do the paperwork. Pay the fees, and everything will be fine.

Sit and whinge and moan and criticize and you can always expect your worst nightmares to come true.

I am genuinely married and have been for five and half years. The point here is that the Thai system, has no form of redress for mistakes, moreover after being married for a certain period of time, one should not have to be reliant on annual renewals, but be given some form of permanent residency, providing all the paper work and the circumstances are kosher! But that is not the case, I know someone who has been married here for 27 years and still has to go through the ridiculous process of annual renewal. If his wife had gone to the UK with him, should could have been a prominient local politician or even an MP by now! But here your just a foreigner!

In New Zealand it took my wife two and a half years to get permanent residence.

It can take less time than this.

As a permanent resident she can own or start a business, own a house and do what ever she wants.

She is also entitled to the social welfare system, like it or not.

New Zealand also supports many of the Pacific Islands financially.

Many of these Island people have come here over the decades and many of those that have come abuse the social welfare system.

And you know the funny thing is, that a Kiwi cant buy land in the Pacifis Islands. Or Thailand.

I just dont think it is fair somehow!

You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

wrong.

In all civilized countries you get the right to stay in the country if you are (genuinely) married to one of its citizens, and thats is usually based on the constitution. You might wanna take a look there first.

“fortune”-teller or…..

A couple of months ago I placed some ads with the content: “EXPATS GOING BACK TO EUROPE? We have property for sale in …………”.

As there are worldwide expats wanting to live again with their family for several reasons.

Apart from the fact that this ad had been flagged in a certain ad-site as “impropriate” (?) by, I think, local Estate Agents, it gave me an opportunity to start earning money now as a “fortune” teller never realizing that this header should be a bitter reality for lots of good willing and solvent Farangs who felt in love with the Thai country and culture, now falling in between the quay and the vessel. Thailand: your trees do not grow till in the heaven!

I look forward to the day, when some has the balls, to take the immigration department to the International Court in the Hague, for seperating a man from his legally wedded wife!

Good luck with that.. But be sure to bring a case against virtually every country in the world when you do it..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost.

For those that are genuine there will be no problem. For those that are scamming expect to get caught out.

It's the same the world over.

Get a lawyer. Do the paperwork. Pay the fees, and everything will be fine.

Sit and whinge and moan and criticize and you can always expect your worst nightmares to come true.

"You don't get an automatic right to live in any country just because you are married to someone..

This has been the case since the middle ages almost."

I think you are wrong!

My 2 satang

Peace

At least when we are a "guest" at the Holiday Inn, we get a mini-bar, room service and maybe a little bottle of shampoo!

some sentimental fantasy that we are "guests" in the same sense as we are when we go to visit Granny on Christmas!

Quite accurate with extremely relevant, very funny references... :D

can't ask for more in a post, well done....

:o

Work permit regulations.

We are advised that work permits with the term “Consultant” in the title will not be accepted in future. It is felt the term is too vague and potentially condones work related activity contrary to the alien labour act. Obviously, work permit holders need to consult their lawyers about the detail.

I would appreciate some clarification on this. For example, if someone is holding a WP under BOI promotion with a job title like "Engineering consultant", does that mean that his position will be rejected when the WP is renewed? Or does it have to be amended and become "Engineer expert" prior the next renewal time?

Thanks for bringing up this issue.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEY WANT ALL OF US OUT. COME TO THINK OF IT, THINGS AIN'T SO BAD BACK HOME IN THE U.S.A. THAT I WOULD WANT TO TRADE MY RIGHTS AND PRIVLEDGES BACK HOME FOR NO RIGHTS AND NO PRIVLEGES HERE.

I've been thinking about this lately. I'm Australian but have lived in the Philippines for 3 years and 1 year in Thailand.

What are the real advantages, apart from it being cheap, of living in Thailand once the novelty of the girls wears off (when you finally realize they are just after your money) and you become exhausted by the unrelenting heat.

Comparing Thailand with USA and Australia:

There are better beaches back at home.

It's cleaner back at home.

They speak English.

The food is better with more choices.

The infrastructure is more reliable and better: Electricity, Internet, Cable TV.

Better cinema (I'm comparing with Pattaya, where I can watch only 1, or if lucky 2 new English movies per week).

I even believe they're friendlier back at home (Australia). I know they call this the LOS, but from my experience, that's nonsense. Even the Philippines is MUCH friendlier and welcoming. I can stay for a year without leaving. That requires 6 x 30 minute visits to the local Immigration Office and under 9000 baht for the year.

Speaking for myself, the only advantage of living in Thailand (over Australia) is the price.

Have I be living in Asia too long? What have I missed?

When they start making it difficult to stay I really start thinking of getting back home, or at least moving back to the Philippines. I've even been considering Malaysia as an alternative.

The point has been asked several times: if you have an adequate, proven pension of over 68,000 baht/month, why would they want you to have some money in the bank, as well? Let me guess: you could spend your pension monthly for monthly expenses, and then get a very expensive ride to a private hospital that would charge you in the hundreds of thousands of baht.

Bureaucrats can usually think, inside of their little mental boxes. They've been doing this for years, full-time. They see some guy with a self-serving embassy statement, knowing it hasn't really been verified. But if they see bank statements with monthly pension deposits, and regular withdrawals to live in Thailand, but with a low overall balance, they wonder if you're going to be dropped at the emergency room of a Thai govt. hospital without any cash.

My 2 satang

Peace

Tue 03 Oct 06, 10:59 a.m.

Pragmatism is fine, but I get tired of hearing this "guest" euphemism used as a tactic to shut down discussion of topics one doesn't like and points of view one disagrees with. At least when we are a "guest" at the Holiday Inn, we get a mini-bar, room service and maybe a little bottle of shampoo! When you examine this "guest" euphemism thoughtfully, what does it really mean? A "guest" in Thailand is a person

(1) Who is present incountry

(2) Must pay taxes, but

(3) Has no vote, no representation or direct access to government services.

(4) May only work or conduct business under certain and very restrictive circumstances.

(5) May not own property.

(6) Has no automatic right to be with his Thai spouse and family

(7) And even when that is sorted, it remains a chore and to maintain ongoing legal status.

(8) Must leave the country every 90 days or report his address to the gov quarterly.

(9) Is often over-charged for things because it is assumed he is rich.

(10) Last is best; may be summarily imprisoned and deported for a minor infraction such as miscalculating a date and overstaying a visa.

I could go on . . .

And before anyone accuses me of "whining" I challenge you to dispute one fact, just one little fact, that I have listed above. I am all for pragmatism. And I endeavor (although not always successfully) to make that a priority in my dealings with people and circumstances. However, in order for me to be effectively "pragmatic" I need first acknowledge reality, and not falsely comfort myself with some sentimental fantasy that we are "guests" in the same sense as we are when we go to visit Granny on Christmas! Maybe there is no really adequate term to describe what we are, but "guest" is a euphemism and a polite expression, nothing more. According to official government forms we are "aliens." Such terms may offend some more than others, but think I'd rather be an "alien" than a "guest." At least it is more honest.

Aloha,

Rex

Well as a retiree, the only tax I must pay is on interest income from a Thai bank.

I can also own a condo in my own name, albeit only under certain circumstances.

Every 90 days I am required to notify Immigration of my intention to stay in the Kingdom for more than 90 days, using a TM 47 form. Whilst they ask for my address, that is not the specific purpose of the requirement.

That said, I do agree that the term 'guest' is something of a misnomer for our status: 'alien', I believe, is the official term used and quite apt 'twould seem... :o

I am a retired military person that recieves an adequate amount to meet the Visa requirements as they now stand and have recently initiated the starting of a firm covered by the Amity Treaty.

The services that I provide are for clients outside of Thailand, therefore I will pay income tax, but, other than that small amount I will keep my monies out of harms way. Why do tot he new policies.

This means that as a result of these draconian measures I will not be building a new house, I will not be buying a new Sapcewagon Van, I will not be remodelling our present home, that is intended to go to one of my three children, nor will I be employing any Thais to help out in my business. That is a substantial loss for Thailand from me alone.

I will save my money and prepare for my eventual and it seems unavoidable exodus from life here leaving all in the form of savings to be passed to my kids either before or after my demise. But, I am sure that the years that I plan looking at the final sunsets and enjoying my final retirement will not be spent here, for I feel unwelcomed here and want something in return for my patronage other than difficulty. This is not something that I want, but, something that will eventually be forced upon me also due to the new and continued policies that make little of no sense.

I am a retired military person that recieves an adequate amount to meet the Visa requirements as they now stand and have recently initiated the starting of a firm covered by the Amity Treaty.

The services that I provide are for clients outside of Thailand, therefore I will pay income tax, but, other than that small amount I will keep my monies out of harms way. Why do tot he new policies.

This means that as a result of these draconian measures I will not be building a new house, I will not be buying a new Sapcewagon Van, I will not be remodelling our present home, that is intended to go to one of my three children, nor will I be employing any Thais to help out in my business. That is a substantial loss for Thailand from me alone.

I will save my money and prepare for my eventual and it seems unavoidable exodus from life here leaving all in the form of savings to be passed to my kids either before or after my demise. But, I am sure that the years that I plan looking at the final sunsets and enjoying my final retirement will not be spent here, for I feel unwelcomed here and want something in return for my patronage other than difficulty. This is not something that I want, but, something that will eventually be forced upon me also due to the new and continued policies that make little of no sense.

:o

May I suggest that you are overreacting somewhat?

My advice to you would be to sit tight and see how things pan out.

Throwing the towel in now simply because of recent developments that do not even appear to particularly affect you seems totally unwarranted IMHO.

Watch and wait... :D

Overreacting? I think not! Just wise planning on my behalf. My business I can run from anywhere where there is a Internet connection and a computer.

I am not throwing the towel in and not giving up but also not willing to invest into a society that makes life for me and my family worrysome without any future assurances. I would hate to be on my way out when 70+ years looking for a place to live. I would be insane to buy more land, build a second house or buy additional vehicles and then be told in 7 years time that my $2,500 in pension and Social Security is not enough and that everything we have build has to be left behind.

I expect them to make an investment into my future by providing me with only the emotional security and peace of mind. In return the will have my undivided loyalty in all matters to include my financial dealings within this lovely country. This is after all a two way street.

I really love living here and hope that things will change for the better for all concerned.

hello jap,

dont really see where luck comes into it.

surely it cannot be right if a westener earns less than 30,000bht a month - thats only 600euros or so....

if they earn so little and pay no tax or insurance what happens when they reach pension age.. who pays for them then?

it seems like a serious problem to me and better for them and for thailand if they leave now and go and get a proper job and join in society again.

amarka :o

May I suggest that you are overreacting somewhat?

My advice to you would be to sit tight and see how things pan out.

Throwing the towel in now simply because of recent developments that do not even appear to particularly affect you seems totally unwarranted IMHO.

Watch and wait... :o

You're quite right of course Noel - things may settle down after a while and the current so-called rule tightening may slowly become relaxed, especially with a new regime at the helm

Speaking personally, there is noithing in the new guidlines that will in any way affect me. I have retirement visa, and am not short of a few bob, and leaving 800k, or 1M, or whatever it takes in the bank for 3 months or longer is not a big deal.

However, after having been nearly thrown out of the country when I mistakenly (and very foolishly) tried to change my retirement extension to a marriage extension last year (on the stupidly simple premise that leaving 400K in a non- interest bearing Thai bank account is better than leaving 800k), I know how precarious my continued existence is here.

I am 60 years old, have burnt most of my bridges and am committed to staying in Thailand with my wife and family until I die. The very notion of having to go back and live in the UK (and for sure my wife will not follow me), scares the shit out of me. I can live here very comfortably. If I go home, it will be a very different existence indeed.

We are all at the whim of the powers that be , most of whom have no love for us farangs, and don't really care if they disrupt, upset and even destroy our lives. It's not a happy situation, and I for one get depressed about it, wondering when some new crackdown may come along and put yet more of us on the boat back home.

I'm beginning to feel that it's not really worth the effort to stay in Thailand.

Recently I've been thinking about the reasons for being in Bangkok and I can't really come up with a unique selling point!

If you want to hang out in pool bars with lots of willing women who don't speak much english, then Bangkok is great. It gets boring after a while (several years ago!)

Restaurants serving western-style food are pretty poor or very expensive (even by western standards), Thai restaurants are blandly luxurious or great food but austere surroundings.

Entertainment? - Cinema? ummm....golf?

Work environment - don't get me started!

Traffic and cost of cars? :D

I'm tired of not being able to get an original version of movies, CDs and computer software, tired of getting sold stuff where the pacakaging has been opened already. Tired of buying fake Polo shirts, or getting tailored suits that fit worse than M&S off the shelf. Tired of pressing the 'guaranteed 60 second' button in McDonalds (has anyone ever been served in 60 seconds!?)

Tired of reporting every 3 months to say that I'm still with my wife and kids. Tired of signing all rights away.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, but now that I just spent a bundle of cash to set up an IT consultancy company over here, it seems I might find it difficult to get a work permit to work there! I wasn't planning on any more assignments in Thailand anyway, but I need the WP and salary so I can continue to live with my wife and kids in our house (in her name).

Perhaps I'll chage my mind, but right now, I'm thinking the whole family is going to be moving, next time I get a contract outside Thailand.

Had several friends who havelivedhe many years coming to the same conclusion my friend,

even stared me thinking after 8 years here. :o

Paul

I'm beginning to feel that it's not really worth the effort to stay in Thailand.

Recently I've been thinking about the reasons for being in Bangkok and I can't really come up with a unique selling point!

If you want to hang out in pool bars with lots of willing women who don't speak much english, then Bangkok is great. It gets boring after a while (several years ago!)

Restaurants serving western-style food are pretty poor or very expensive (even by western standards), Thai restaurants are blandly luxurious or great food but austere surroundings.

Entertainment? - Cinema? ummm....golf?

Work environment - don't get me started!

Traffic and cost of cars? :D

I'm tired of not being able to get an original version of movies, CDs and computer software, tired of getting sold stuff where the pacakaging has been opened already. Tired of buying fake Polo shirts, or getting tailored suits that fit worse than M&S off the shelf. Tired of pressing the 'guaranteed 60 second' button in McDonalds (has anyone ever been served in 60 seconds!?)

Tired of reporting every 3 months to say that I'm still with my wife and kids. Tired of signing all rights away.

Perhaps I'm just jaded, but now that I just spent a bundle of cash to set up an IT consultancy company over here, it seems I might find it difficult to get a work permit to work there! I wasn't planning on any more assignments in Thailand anyway, but I need the WP and salary so I can continue to live with my wife and kids in our house (in her name).

Perhaps I'll chage my mind, but right now, I'm thinking the whole family is going to be moving, next time I get a contract outside Thailand.

Had several friends who havelivedhe many years coming to the same conclusion my friend,

even stared me thinking after 8 years here. :o

Paul

Sorry I forgot the last one to leave please turn the lights out :D

(Pattaya Post) .....single entry tourist visas. These used to be valid for a stay of up to 60 days but from October 1 they are valid for a stay of 90 days. They cannot be extended.

The question has to be asked "have any TV contributors entered LoS since 1st October on a Tourist visa, and if so how many days did they get..... 60 or 90?" The Pattaya Post article does not seem to be attributed to anyone and I have checked for press releases on the Ministry of foreign affairs website and there is no reference to any changes to tourist visas. I was at Nong Khai Friendship bridge on friday 29.9.06 and there was a notice on the immigration cabin stating that visitors from 40 countries would be allowed to enter on a Tourist visa for a maximum of 60 days.

Enormous shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Most farangs will be affected

The so called retirement visa. [/b]

This allows foreigners aged 50 and over to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand. It requires either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank or a combination of cash in the bank and proof of pension paid in the home country. A letter from the respective embassy is required for proof of pension. -- Pattaya Today 2006-10-02

I am going to stay in Thailand between 5 to 9 months. Since I am over 50, I may apply for a retirement visa but the above says that you need a proof of pension. What if you don't have a pension but have long term fixed investments that produce more than the required 65kbaht/month? Will this monthly income be accepted with an embassy letter of proof?

Edited by vagabond48

So let me get this straigh... I have tried to follow these new rules once they were made public a few weeks ago but and still baffled.

I am leaving Thailand in Mid Nov and plan on getting a tourist visa from the Thai embassy in NY for my return in Jan. Once that has been completed, I assume I will have a 90 day visa to stay in the Kingdom. Before those 90 days expire, I am allowed to make 2 or 3 visa runs to Cambodia, Laos or wherever for an additional 60 days????

Once those 2 or 3 visa runs have been used, I must then leave the country and apply for a new tourist visa at an embassy outside the Kingdom, such as Cambodia? Then the whole cycle can begina again?

I am currently going to school her learning the language and am really contemplating not coming back if I can only stay for a total of 6 months then go home for 3. Not really following what the whole deal is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff