Will Honda replace the Phantom 200 with a 300 anytime soon?

Kf6vci

Like the Phantom 200, but wonder why Honda doesn't offer a new model with their 300 cc single? It was such a hit in Thailand!

Just bought a VFR 800, 2001 model, 1st owner, very low mileage and no ssies like "it fell over and got scratched". 2.500 Euros, wish I could buy a legal one for that over here. But would likely prefer a 650 cc thumper.

Earlier this month, I rode a KTM MX 450 ESC and that was one scary experience. Quite humbling, TBH. Am not man enough for a hard enduro sad.png

post-7704-0-91279800-1445593550_thumb.jp

post-7704-0-81929600-1445593589_thumb.jp

The Phantom 200 power to weight ratio is so low it's not funny. To call it a chopper is an insult. A single cylinder 200cc, has more hardware wieght, sissy seat, panmiers and saddle bags than a Harley Davidson Fatboy. Common, it's for posers and not for practical riding. A liitle Honda Click has more power to weight ratio, but not the Easy Rider macho look.

I can't count the number of Phantoms I left in the dust with my both the old model CBR 150 and the newer f/i model. Had a friend with one who TRIED to ride with me from Chiang Mai to Lampang. Going through the "mountains" I had to keep stopping and waiting for him to catch up, and I wasn't going all that fast. It might be a nice bike for old geezers (of which I'm one, but not one of them) who like to putt-putt around the city, but other than that? Forget it. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it the next day for whatever the scrap metal was worth.

I can't count the number of Phantoms I left in the dust with my both the old model CBR 150 and the newer f/i model. Had a friend with one who TRIED to ride with me from Chiang Mai to Lampang. Going through the "mountains" I had to keep stopping and waiting for him to catch up, and I wasn't going all that fast. It might be a nice bike for old geezers (of which I'm one, but not one of them) who like to putt-putt around the city, but other than that? Forget it. If someone gave me one, I'd sell it the next day for whatever the scrap metal was worth.

Or put a Suzuki 400 twin in it, fits really well with only a minor chop under the tank, adding 2" to the wheelbase, if I still had mine that is what I would do.

I too am and old geezer and it wasn't/isn't a nice bike, but at least at 400cc it goes as it should.

Or put a Suzuki 400 twin in it, fits really well with only a minor chop under the tank, adding 2" to the wheelbase, if I still had mine that is what I would do.

I too am and old geezer and it wasn't/isn't a nice bike, but at least at 400cc it goes as it should.

I agree. When the CBR 250 came out, and I bought one, I told my wife: "This is the motor they should drop in the Phantom." Of course, the don't do the 250 any more and have gone to 300cc and 500cc. I'm looking at a 300cc CBf around the first of the year.

I had a Phantom a few years ago ,now have a PCX150 , better all round . OK the Phantom on a long straight would do 130kph and the PCX 120 but the Phantom didn't like corners the PCX loves them + there is all that room for luggage, I too am an old fart and 120 kph is fast enough.

The Phantom 200 power to weight ratio is so low it's not funny. To call it a chopper is an insult. A single cylinder 200cc, has more hardware wieght, sissy seat, panmiers and saddle bags than a Harley Davidson Fatboy. Common, it's for posers and not for practical riding. A liitle Honda Click has more power to weight ratio, but not the Easy Rider macho look.

"Easy Rider macho look"?

Erm, not sure the Honda Phantom achieves that. To me it is a chopper looking (ish) bike but it is too heavy for its engine which makes it unwieldy and pretty useless on the road. Its a pointless bike really and doesn't have any place as a classic. It sold because it looked a bit like a chopper and it was cheap.

post-170560-0-44869000-1445691130_thumb.

A GREAT bike for the money. I Love it and still have it

Originally the Phantom was designed to have 197 cc for the market of Sin

i thought they originally had 150cc two-stroke.

Yes and than the next model went to the 4 stroke. The 2 stroke was a piece of sxxt. I have had 6 of them.

If the two-stroke was such a piece of sxxt, why did you have six of them.

Just curious.

Originally the Phantom was designed to have 197 cc for the market of Sin

i thought they originally had 150cc two-stroke.

Yes and than the next model went to the 4 stroke. The 2 stroke was a piece of sxxt. I have had 6 of them.

So that means what? You like................?

One piece of sxxt is normally enough for me, I try to rule that out of my life.

Still it takes all sorts to make the world go around.

Re:- 400cc Phantom, I will talk to Jo Modify who did the job, but it looked really easy chop. The downside may be the handling on a Phantom, so just ride on dead straight roads then.

It was hard to recognise the bike afterwards, well he did have Harley stickers on the tank.

Love my Phantom 200cc going on 12 years with 30k km. Great bike for in the city but not for long distance. An old man's bike.

I have had my 2005 model a little over 6 years now and I put 45,xxx km on it.

It starts first time every time but a high speed crotch rocket it isn't. It does however get me to where I want to go to, albeit a little slowly.

I am an old man of 71 with a bad back and crook kneecaps and the Phantom works for me very well.

Rubbish.

Yes it is a bit underpowered and heavy but mine took me to BKK and back in the same day from Khampaeng Phet. A nearly 800 km journey 4 years ago and never missed a beat even though the last 100 km was through a heavy thunderstorm.

I didn't buy mine and call it a chopper. I bought it because I liked the look of it and it got me back into biking again. It has certainly paid for itself in enjoyment for me and as for a Honda Click it is a nice little scooter for around town but for a 400 km trip it would be a waste of time. To me out in rural Thailand it is a FAR more practical bike than any scooter.

"Easy Rider macho look"?

Erm, not sure the Honda Phantom achieves that. To me it is a chopper looking (ish) bike but it is too heavy for its engine which makes it unwieldy and pretty useless on the road. Its a pointless bike really and doesn't have any place as a classic. It sold because it looked a bit like a chopper and it was cheap.

attachicon.gifeasy rider copy.jpg

Where's the photo of the Honda Click that was referred too? We stem to be agreed on our opinion of the Phantom. First time I saw a Phantom, I thought someone had stolen the engine. Its may be a "cruiser" and they are collectively called "choppers" by some Thais.

Last January when papa was riding north thru Laos,

had coffee with couple who had ridden over from Chiangmai.

Two-up.

On a Phantom.

"I'm short." the guy explained.