Can I become responsible for a debt my wife makes during a marriage?

zen4dummies

I have reason to believe that my marriage is close to being at an end. We have no children or real estate. I would like to give her some income for a year but my wife probably would want a golden parachute. Is there any way that she can put me in debt without my knowledge?

I am not being totally heartless. We have been together almost 9 years and married almost 5. Her daughter will be graduating form the 12th grade next spring and I feel that it is an opportune time to split. I would put her daughter through college and continue to make the annual life insurance payments on her mothers megabaht policy and give her a 16,000 baht monthly income for a year.

She has a cousin that is setting up a guy and she recently flew up north to talk to her. Since she came back with a plan to build a grocery store in a remote village that already has one, my paranoid mind tells me that she was getting coaching from the yaba using, laokao drinking, round the clock gambling cousin. She has another friend that has done very well with her marriage to a Dane and recently, after a few beers, told me that maybe she could also get lucky.

I plan on getting out of Bangkok after the daughters graduation in March and felt that it would be less disruptive if I stayed here until then. I wonder what pitfalls I should look out for before the divorce.

Thanks for your wise advice.

1. begin the lie now.

2. make her feel safe, happy, everything....DON'T GET HER MAD

3. file this divorce ASAP

4. have a long nice talk with the daughter AFTER you filed

5. forget what i said, get a lawyer

you are talking about your life's savings and trusting a TV board???

OK, great.....send me 1,000,000 baht and I will turn it into 100

let me go on yahoo board and see what they think..

If possible try to avoid the divorce court. There's a little thing called a seperation period prior to being able to file for divorce along with the amount of time it takes and the legal fees that quickly add up.

Try to have her agree to attend the Umphur with you for an uncontested divorce. No seperation period and it only takes an hour or so to get divorced. A relatively simple proceedure.

Try to arrange a financial agreement to split with her. It may be best to offer a lump sum payment then have a lawyer draw up an agreement. A lump sum also looks good in her eyes as she will have that money available straight away.

Take that agreement with you when you meet at the umphur. One of the parts of the uncontested divorce includes financial arrangements. A quick divorce also takes away the worries of any debts she may run up while you go through the slow court system.

Technically yes, it could be possible. In reality, when you leave, don't tell her or anyone that knows her where you are going to.

When you move, chose somewhere a good distance away.

Your problem is pretty much solved.

In the meantime make sure all your important papers are stashed out of the house and you have a USB or cloud copy of anything on your computer.

As a previous poster said, give her no idea of your plans. When you go, just go.

"In reality, when you leave, don't tell her or anyone that knows her where you are going to.

When you move, chose somewhere a good distance away."

That is my plan. Maybe one of the islands. Or even another country which is what she would expect me to do. But I would have to return to Bangkok for health care. Not that I have a problem but I am 74.

I should talk to an attorney as Puukao suggested.

I would prefer to do some sort of an friendly agreement as Farma suggested. However I pay 55k baht now for life insurance on her mother and when she dies the wife will get 1 megabaht. If I disappear and then try to make the agreement might work. Again it sounds like I need legal advice. I have had friends tell me to 'Just disappear' as they or their friends have done. But I do not know of anyone doing this in Thailand.

an agreement is goner cost you a LOT,she has her next plan already sorted out,so i would just leave and dont say a word to ANYONE.

about the divorce at 74 dont bother,she's already got another farang lined up for the marriage stakes,so let her chase you,otherwise she WILL MAKE YOU PAY.as for feeling soft towards her be has hard as her,cause she dont care a fk.about you now only what she can screw you for.

as for the insurance policy stuff that aswell.

so save yourself while you got the chance the next time she goes awol.

GOOD LUCK.

You really don't need a solicitor. What are they going to do for you? If you are not going to get married again you don't have to worry about getting divorced.

You are 74. Are you going to get married again?

If you just go you will find that she divorces you on the grounds of desertion. Until she does, she can't get any further with the next guy.

You really don't need a solicitor. What are they going to do for you? If you are not going to get married again you don't have to worry about getting divorced.

If you just go you will find that she divorces you on the grounds of desertion. Until she does, she can't get any further with the next guy.

But she can rack up plenty of debt...which he is also responsible for if they are still married

But she can rack up plenty of debt...which he is also responsible for if they are still married

not if he puts it in writing,THE NATIONAL NEWS PAPER[PERSONEL COLM.]

Try reversing the situation, & ask yourself would she do the same for you.

I guess you've been married before & most likely got burned the first time.

It all turns nasty eventually, when the smell of money is in the air.

It sound like she's planning a financial coup....be vigilant.

I think its very compassionate of you to think about her dort; but contact her & make an arrangement with her directly.

Why not contact Siam Legal who give advice on here?

In theory the OP can do the same. He can go live in another country though.

In theory the OP can do the same. He can go live in another country though.

Or just get a divorce and have peace of mind

Is this one of those 74 year olds with a 44 year old thai girl? This is REALLY odd behavoir.

JUST NOT RIGHT. What would be right is to get the h.el.l. out of town! But then again you are a nugget while doling out all the cash!

THE pitafall is PRE_mature ejaculation.................. i mean death...............hahahaha.

Good Lucj.

Edited by Nomyai

• 5 weeks later...