Bang Saray - Building permit from military required?

Can anybody help me out with a bit of info? My builder has informed me that Bang Saray comes under sattahip city hall for relevant planning permits, but also we need to get a permit from the military? I know there`s a navy park next to village and I can see some logic I suppose? But I`m told it could take 3 months and around 45000baht? Anybody had experience of this and info or tips?

thanks in advance...........

Yes, it is true, unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly where the dividing line is but there are parts of the Navy base that adjoin Bang Saray proper. In fact if you are on Bang Saray beach that whole mountain to the south is owned by the Navy and is where the induction / training center is located

Had a friend that built in the hills East of Sattahip and everything had to be duplicated, local building permit, Navy building permit. Plan approval by local tessaban, same plans needed Navy approval. Electrics in the area are handled by a private "Navy" cooperative electric company. So there are a lot of small wrinkles in building in this area that you don't have to deal with in other areas of Thailand

As far as I know there is no way around the Navy requirements and considering that they are in absolute power these days, I wouldn't even try

Permit from Navy allows Tessabhan to issue the buiding permit. Cost isn't 450,000. last one we applied for was less than 2,000. Time was about 6 weeks

The OP intimated his builder had told him the Navy permit costs 45,000bht not 450,000bht. If as you say, the permit only costs 2,000bht, maybe the builder was factoring in a small 'commission' for himself at the expense of his client?

your builder is not telling you the truth now, and he has not started building yet....if you want a good builder who is local and honest with more than a pickup truck with mum mixing the cement,,,pm me and i will give details of the best builder i know here...good price and finishes every project he has.... bang saray navy permit cost me about 2000 and took 4 weeks....not a hardship at all good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about abandoning the thread, been moving house and offline a while...

To clarify all fees involved in obtaining a full permit to build on piece of land?

I think it's been determined it's 2000baht for the navy permit? How much are architect fees normally? And the sattahip city all permit?

Thanks in advance...

An architect is not required, only a certified engineer to certify the plans

If you know what you want you can have a draftsman do up the plans to be submitted to an engineer who will check them and attach a statement for the tessaban that they are structurally sound

Then you will be issued a building permit, which will be good for one year, no cost to renew, other than a new certification from the engineer stating that nothing has changed and most won't even charge you for that. Even after the house is completely finished there is no method for closing out the building permit. ie. no final inspection

The good news is I have never heard of a building inspector going to a house job site in Thailand. The closest you will get to an inspection may be Immigration officers checking to make sure your contractor is not employing illegals, but that is the contractors problem, not yours

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks buddy...maybe I should have bought the cheapo plans off the websites? Something a bit similar to what I'm after and altered it a bit?

If you are talking about the plans off of the Thai government website then yes, that is the way to go since most of the "engineering" has already been built in and a draftsman to alter them a bit is absolutely the cheapest way to go

And to be perfectly honest with you, since there is never any inspections during the build, just having something that will get you a building permit is sufficient

Instead of having a back porch, as shown on the plans submitted, I changed it during construction to enlarge the living room. No one ever said a word