Trekking in Thailand

STMx

you don't even know what "hard" means!!!

I trekked in Thailand through 23 croc-infested swamps, through 132 anaconda nests, through forests where i pulled out trees with my bare hands, and then climbed a 144 foot tree just to see the sunset. Three hundred thousand feet elevation gain, no sleep, no shoes, and no bug repellent.

just a rusty spoon

To "trek" means to make a "slow or arduous journey". Thus a "not very hard trek" makes no sense. Do you mean "hike"? (Full disclosure: I hate the poseur word trek)

Umm, maybe so Seligne 2, but ALL of the Trekking and Tour companies that I know of ( in northern Thailand anyway ) use the word TREK...easy trek, medium trek and hard trek. They even use 'half day trek', which usually only entails a couple of hours walk to a nearby Hill tribe village. In my 23 years in Thailand I have been on dozens and dozens of HARD TREKS dozens of MEDIUM TREKS and many many EASY TREKS.... terms used by the Tour/Trekking companies. So that's good enough for me.

I am a bit lost as some of the posts and response seem a bit off -

I just returned from a few days in Nan Province… If you go into the mtns east of Pua it is quite scenic - if as a professional trekker, you mean like conquering Everest, this will be mild - if you are a casual hiker, w/o proper supplies, you may not find anything much around the most beautiful of the mtns.. and it might be very challenging...

of course, to ease the obstacles you can invite along some of the sarcastic responders.

I also agree that some of the spots in Northern Petchaboon Province are lovely...

I can recommend a couple of malls in BKK. On a more serious note go to the National Parks website, if I remember correctly they have walking routes, but it's not as well developed as you may think. Many of these walks are 4 hours out and back. If you are in BKK maybe Kao Yai would be closest to you.

Link for you

wikiloc.com/trails/hiking/Thailand

Edited by SOUTHERNSTAR

To "trek" means to make a "slow or arduous journey". Thus a "not very hard trek" makes no sense. Do you mean "hike"? (Full disclosure: I hate the poseur word "trek")

Hike is a day trip,

Trekking involves overnights.

Beam me up, Scotty.

In Chiang Mai there's dozens of operators taking 1,2,3 and 5 day treks every week.

Cost is around 500bht/day inc. + park entrance fee (if any).

Here's one of the many

http://chiang-mai-trekking.com/

http://www.allchiangmaitours.com/trekking

Edited by MaeJoMTB

you don't even know what "hard" means!!!

I trekked in Thailand through 23 croc-infested swamps, through 132 anaconda nests, through forests where i pulled out trees with my bare hands, and then climbed a 144 foot tree just to see the sunset. Three hundred thousand feet elevation gain, no sleep, no shoes, and no bug repellent.

just a rusty spoon

I guess this was humour ?, there are no croc-infested swamps anymore in Thailand, and Anacondas are form S. America. !!!

And where to find a 144 foot tree ? The highest mountain is Doi Inthanon, 2,565 m (8,415 ft).....

Regards,...funny dough...

Although there are other areas of Thailand for trekking, the Chiang Mai region remains the center for such activity. And unlike Nepal, in Thailand you will need a guide as it is very easy to get lost in the forests as grand views of neighboring peaks to get your bearings are few and far between. Most of the time things looks identical in all directions. Not to mention there is little difference between the main trail between two villages and the trail leading to a farmers field. I have known more that one guide who took a wrong turn back in the day when they trekked around my neighborhood. But like a lot of the mountain neighborhoods today, there are roads and electric poles and cell towers and no trekking to speak of in the neighborhood.

Too bad the political situation in neighboring Burma remains unstable as the potential for trekking there is fantastic. But perhaps you might want to look at such activities based in Nan. Few people are disappointed with Nan.

Edited by Johpa