How about a minivan?

Manassas

We're shopping for a car that will haul people (senior citizens, kids etc) and also cargo such as a pair of bicycles. Looked at a lot of the SUVs but the models available here really don't do the trick. Now we are discussing a minivan or multipurpose vehicle (MPV) as they are called now. Recently rented a Chrysler Town and Country in the US and it was amazing how much we could load into it with the seats down. It was also very easy to drive.

Hard to find the Thai models online and I guess it will be a matter of going from dealership to dealership looking. But maybe some of you car buffs can give me a head start. What models of minivan are available in Thailand and how is the quality? Prefer the sliding side door for senior citizens and fold down rear seats for cargo. Also, want to avoid those huge commuter vans used as shuttles.

Thanks

Check out the Kia Carnival, closest thing to what you are looking for, only problem will be servicing is at limited locations. Quality should be pretty good, KIA ranks number two overall according to JD Power survey in terms of reliability.

Kia Carnival - 1.92 million baht

Another option is Honda Odyseey, but its imported and it cost almost 3 million

Toyota Alphard is nice, but again over 3 million

Toyota Commuter - Not comfortable at all, well its what all the public vans are, not really a family vehicle even though they have a top of the line model.

Hyundai Starex / H1 seems to be the best all round base on price. Ranging from 1.01 million to 1.6 million

The rest of the line up IMHO listed are probably too small for your needs.

Edited by mike324

• 4 months later...

To reply to my own post, after a lot of research and visits to dealers, I decided on the Honda BRV. It meets all my requirements, small enough to navigate small sois, but big enough to haul people and cargo. The crucial test of having enough power was not answered until I drove on the back roads for awhile. Good passing power on the two-lanes and went up a mountain with 3 people and 200kgs of concrete block in the back.without straining. So far I am very happy with the vehicle.

The only downside was the wait time for the dealer to get them in stock.

Hope this may be of help to the next person car shopping with similar requirements.

To reply to my own post, after a lot of research and visits to dealers, I decided on the Honda BRV. It meets all my requirements, small enough to navigate small sois, but big enough to haul people and cargo. The crucial test of having enough power was not answered until I drove on the back roads for awhile. Good passing power on the two-lanes and went up a mountain with 3 people and 200kgs of concrete block in the back.without straining. So far I am very happy with the vehicle.

Hope this may be of help to the next person car shopping with similar requirements.

Just curious. Did you bring your own concrete blocks for that test, or did the Honda dealer have them. Who loaded & unloaded, you or Honda staff? I'm surprised they went to that much trouble to make a sale.

Just curious. Did you bring your own concrete blocks for that test, or did the Honda dealer have them. Who loaded & unloaded, you or Honda staff? I'm surprised they went to that much trouble to make a sale.

No, the weight test was after the purchase. A test drive in town didn't really show me anything. I live out in the country and have to go aver a rather steep mountain to get to town. I went to town to buy the block and cruised home with no problem including up and over the mountain.