Visa run to Laos

I am leaving a in a few days to get my double entry visa in Vientiane, Laos.

First, this will be my 2nd straight visa from Vientiane...any problems?

Second, will I have any problems with Lao immigration because I have 2 previous Lao visas... all with the same border - Nong Khai. And same with Thai immigration any problem with them for exiting and re-entering (with visa) ... i have also done this same trip 2 times before and this is my 3rd time. Nong Khai to Vientiane.

Basically, will there be a problem with Laos or Thailand because I have done this border crossing 2 times previously and this will be my 3rd time.

And finally, I had a single visa photo and wanted to get more, so went to a kodak store and they scanned my photo. However, the scanned photos have a yellowish tint while the original is white and looks clear. Will using the scanned photos be a problem at the border and with the Thai consulate? They're on regular photo paper and glossy and clear, just looks a little strange wink.png

Thanks!

Edited by DanceAllNight

• You should be ok for a second double entry visa from Vientiane. The worst that is likely to happen is that they limit you to one entry.
  • You will have no problem with Laos immigration.
  • If you have a valid tourist visa you should have no problem with Thai immigration.
  • No idea about the photos.
  • Like 1

• You should be ok for a second double entry visa from Vientiane. The worst that is likely to happen is that they limit you to one entry.
  • If you have a valid tourist visa you should have no problem with Thai immigration.

I think i will be okay getting the 2nd visa from Vientiane, but you never know. If they refuse double and just do single, i will say no thanks and try Savanakhet.

I think i will be okay getting the 2nd visa from Vientiane, but you never know. If they refuse double and just do single, i will say no thanks and try Savanakhet.

I recently returned back from Savanaket (loved it there actually even if it is a bit sleepy) and my passport has 2 pages left. The rest are full of 90 day reporting stamps for ED visa's for about 3 years and then before that 2 years of tourist visa stamps. I had no issues whatsoever and have a double entry tourist visa now. So good luck anyway I think you will be fine.

I think so too.

FYI..... Savannakhet were recently reported giving someone a single because they already had a couple of doubles so I'm not sure Savannakhet would be a guaranteed solution.

Good luck.

I have read that the Thai Consulate in Vientiane can refuse issuing visas for people who have received them there previously. Will there be any problems in my situation?

I would like to go to Vientiane in 2 weeks to get a double entry tourist visa. I am currently finishing the extension to a visa exempt entry in September this year.

My current passport (from a G-7 country) shows 2 visas from Vientiane in 2014. I received a single entry visa in June 2014 and a double entry visa in November 2014. Does the reported limit of 3 visas apply to non-consecutive issues such as mine?

Thanks for your help!

I have read that the Thai Consulate in Vientiane can refuse issuing visas for people who have received them there previously. Will there be any problems in my situation?

I would like to go to Vientiane in 2 weeks to get a double entry tourist visa. I am currently finishing the extension to a visa exempt entry in September this year.

My current passport (from a G-7 country) shows 2 visas from Vientiane in 2014. I received a single entry visa in June 2014 and a double entry visa in November 2014. Does the reported limit of 3 visas apply to non-consecutive issues such as mine?

Thanks for your help!

Visas are issued at the discretion of Consular Officials.

Given your stated history there should not be a problem.

Thanks for your help!

The only way to know for sure is to go and apply but your previous visas, if in your current passport, will probably go against you and they might limit you to a single entry.

A new multi entry tourist visa is being launched from Nov 13th. It's not confirmed yet, but it looks likely that double entry tourist visas may not be available after that date. If you are going to apply you should do so asap if you want the chance of a double.

Edited by elviajero

i forgot to mention this...

i have 3 visa exempt stamps from sept 14 onwards

and a single entry tourist visa from vietnam

after the visa from vietnam expired, i did a visa run to laos.

i extended the tourist visa from vietnam and extended the double entry from laos once

Are you talking about what you got in 2014 or what you have recently received in 2015?

• Like 1

i extended the tourist visa from vietnam and extended the double entry from laos once

Are you talking about what you got in 2014 or what you have recently received in 2015?

i am talking about how my previous visas and exempt stamps will impact me getting the new visa double entry in laos in a few days

i am talking about how my previous visas and exempt stamps will impact me getting the new visa double entry in laos in a few days

Visas/stamps obtained in 2014 will have no impact on an application made in 2015

My last experience in Vientiene (~2 months ago) was that old visas from 2014 caused them to blue-stamp me and restrict to single-entry. I had a 7-month break outside of Thailand, which was not considered. I had received only one TV, after that period.

I was not warned of this when I submitted my application, nor asked for any supporting documentation - though I offered it (bank statements showing foreign-sourced funds and condo-lease). I only discovered I was getting a blue-stamped, single-entry, when I received the visa the next day. I was only charged for the single-entry, as payment is now made upon receipt.

Edited by JackThompson

My last experience in Vientiene (~2 months ago) was that old visas from 2014 caused them to blue-stamp me and restrict to single-entry. I had a 7-month break outside of Thailand, which was not considered. I had received only one TV, after that period.

I was not warned of this when I submitted my application, nor asked for any supporting documentation - though I offered it (bank statements showing foreign-sourced funds and condo-lease). I only discovered I was getting a blue-stamped, single-entry, when I received the visa the next day. I was only charged for the single-entry, as payment is now made upon receipt.

how many previous visas did you have and where were they from?

well, since i am not likely to be denied a double entry in Vientiane, when is the least busiest day of the week to go? The day where their are no visa run companies ;) The last time I went, there were a ton of people, but luckily I got there early and was in the front of the queue.

I am not pressed for time, so I want to go when it is slow...if that is possible. I plan on doing a little traveling, perhaps to Luang Prabang, Pakse, Vang Vieng. Who knows. I like Laos a lot. And I have all the time in the world.

well, since i am not likely to be denied a double entry in Vientiane, when is the least busiest day of the week to go? The day where their are no visa run companies wink.png The last time I went, there were a ton of people, but luckily I got there early and was in the front of the queue.

I am not pressed for time, so I want to go when it is slow...if that is possible. I plan on doing a little traveling, perhaps to Luang Prabang, Pakse, Vang Vieng. Who knows. I like Laos a lot. And I have all the time in the world.

The visa run companies are there on Mondays and Thursdays so it's best (less busy) to go on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Apply on either of those days and you get the passport back next day. Fridays are good as well, but you cannot collect your passport until the Monday.

• Like 1

well, since i am not likely to be denied a double entry in Vientiane, when is the least busiest day of the week to go? The day where their are no visa run companies wink.png The last time I went, there were a ton of people, but luckily I got there early and was in the front of the queue.

The visa run companies are there on Mondays and Thursdays so it's best (less busy) to go on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Apply on either of those days and you get the passport back next day. Fridays are good as well, but you cannot collect your passport until the Monday.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to get the visa from Vientiane instead of Savannakhet . For someone who doesn't want a crowded consulate and is planning to travel within Laos, Savannakhet is the better option especially from Chiang Mai.

Out of curiosity, why are you looking to get the visa from Vientiane instead of Savannakhet . For someone who doesn't want a crowded consulate and is planning to travel within Laos, Savannakhet is the better option especially from Chiang Mai.

Savannakhet is better is from Bangkok. Chiang Mai is good for Vientiane and Luang Prabang...more so Vientiane. I don't want a crowded consulate, but i don't want to travel back to Thailand from there and from Vientiane it is another 300b for the bus to Savannakhet. I would only go there if for some reason Vientiane denies me the 2 entry visa.

I want to travel laos, but more so in the north. and i want to apply before nov. 13

Savannakhet is better is from Bangkok. Chiang Mai is good for Vientiane and Luang Prabang...more so Vientiane. I don't want a crowded consulate, but i don't want to travel back to Thailand from there and from Vientiane it is another 300b for the bus to Savannakhet. I would only go there if for some reason Vientiane denies me the 2 entry visa.

I want to travel laos, but more so in the north. and i want to apply before nov. 13

Have you been to Savannakhet? I have been to both consulates from Chiang Mai and since you stated a desire to visit Pakse, why not fly from CM to Ubon Ratchathani (Kan Air) and then work your way up Laos to Luang Prabang. From there you can take the boat upriver to Chiang Khong or fly direct to CM. That's a great trip and brings back memories.

Edited by kanook

I don't want a crowded consulate, but i don't want to travel back to Thailand from there and from Vientiane it is another 300b for the bus to Savannakhet.

I agree, always good to keep the costs down on a visa trip; just throwing out other options. smile.png

photos should be fine, i've done them from a tweeked photo sized correct & color printed on standard copy paper to which quality is not amazing & never had issue with lao, cambodia, vietnam or consulates I used them at . lao & cambodia normally happy take a monetary note if you short on pics .

• Like 1

My passport is currently getting renewed in preparation for my Nov 11 run for a double. I almost filled up my passport prior to renewal, so I guess my "visa-value per passport ratio" was OK. But from memory...

I had a Lao single + double, then a 4 mo break in Cambodia, then another pair of Lao doubles, then a 7 mo break in Cambodia, then one more Lao double, then a couple weeks in Cambodia, then applied for the last double and got a single+blue-stamp. Included with that were Exempts on each return from Cambodia (only one, then to Lao for a visa - never back-to-back). Every entry, save two, were extended 30-days at immigration.

At every Lao application, I offered bank-book and lease info, and was told, "not need these."

Clearly, I could not have held down a job here, given the extended exits. I was doing my best to avoid the "employed here" suspicions, skipping good condo-lease options to do it, and staying in less-than-ideal apts with shorter leases. Finally, I said "enough with the apts" and leased a nice condo - then got the blue-stamp - hence my statements (in other threads) about preventing us under-50s with decent foreign-incomes from filling up the empty units.

Note: My apt-searches led to seeing, first hand, how many retirees live in wretched, rat-and-roach infested apts. I hear some younger folks live similarly on some "hippie street" in Bangkok, though I haven't seen that first-hand. If the "kick the bums out" proponents apply the same logic equally to both categores, we will get along just fine.

My passport is currently getting renewed in preparation for my Nov 11 run for a double. I almost filled up my passport prior to renewal, so I guess my "visa-value per passport ratio" was OK. But from memory...

I had a Lao single + double, then a 4 mo break in Cambodia, then another pair of Lao doubles, then a 7 mo break in Cambodia, then one more Lao double, then a couple weeks in Cambodia, then applied for the last double and got a single+blue-stamp. Included with that were Exempts on each return from Cambodia (only one, then to Lao for a visa - never back-to-back). Every entry, save two, were extended 30-days at immigration.

At every Lao application, I offered bank-book and lease info, and was told, "not need these."

Clearly, I could not have held down a job here, given the extended exits. I was doing my best to avoid the "employed here" suspicions, skipping good condo-lease options to do it, and staying in less-than-ideal apts with shorter leases. Finally, I said "enough with the apts" and leased a nice condo - then got the blue-stamp - hence my statements (in other threads) about preventing us under-50s with decent foreign-incomes from filling up the empty units.

Note: My apt-searches led to seeing, first hand, how many retirees live in wretched, rat-and-roach infested apts. I hear some younger folks live similarly on some "hippie street" in Bangkok, though I haven't seen that first-hand. If the "kick the bums out" proponents apply the same logic equally to both categores, we will get along just fine.

There is quite a large retired multi national ex-pat community where I live. Nobody I know lives "in wretched, rat-and-roach infested apts."

Thanks to the efforts of the RTP, Immigration and the Labour Dept. "the hippie street" mob who were dodging around on ed visas, tourist visas and overstays have been cleared out ! smile.png

that is quite a large number of tourist visas from Vientiane...even with the breaks.

Some were from Savanakhet, but good point. I would not have done as well as I did, without the info found on this forum. Depending on what happens with the METV, I will be spreading things out over more countries, with the new passport.

There is quite a large retired multi national ex-pat community where I live. Nobody I know lives "in wretched, rat-and-roach infested apts."

Thanks to the efforts of the RTP, Immigration and the Labour Dept. "the hippie street" mob who were dodging around on ed visas, tourist visas and overstays have been cleared out ! smile.png

Glad to hear it. It has been almost 3 years since I ventured into the neighborhoods I described, so perhaps those have similarly improved, as proof of income is reportedly being requested (at least, sometimes) to back up "embassy letter" statements.