Has anyone here actually ridden in a tuk tuk @ patong?

phuketruski

I sure never have and im sure I sure never will , But there must be a good 1000 plus ripoff taxis and tuk tuks all around patong with another 100 more popping up every day, I seriosly wonder if they actually get any customers bcause the odds are there is more taxis than there is farang tourist in patong right now.

And while the yellow-roofed Tuk Tuks in Patong are fined, the ones in Karon are showing off their Ghettoblast-Equipment und taking passengers illegally. I wonder if they charge 30 Baht, which is the allowed maximum (but within Phuket City limits only).

As I'm typing this, they're wringing their hands in greedy anticipation as the first cruise ship of the season sails into Patong Bay.

Mariner Of The Seas (Royal Caribbean Line). Big ship, more than 3000 pax.

Should kick start the high season in Patong!

As I'm typing this, they're wringing their hands in greedy anticipation as the first cruise ship of the season sails into Patong Bay.

Mariner Of The Seas (Royal Caribbean Line). Big ship, more than 3000 pax.

Should kick start the high season in Patong!

I was surprised to see it sailing past Kata Beach at 06.30 this morning. Quite an early start to the high season.

I boycott tuk's in Patong.I just walk a lot.I take the 1000 baht note from my left pocket,smile and put it in my right pocket.Works for me.

Don't cry when they kick the crap out of you for mocking them. I understand your sentiment but if you actually flash money and put it back you are inviting an ass whooping. The tuk tuk drivers are not above violence.

I boycott tuk's in Patong.I just walk a lot.I take the 1000 baht note from my left pocket,smile and put it in my right pocket.Works for me.

Don't cry when they kick the crap out of you for mocking them. I understand your sentiment but if you actually flash money and put it back you are inviting an ass whooping. The tuk tuk drivers are not above violence.

Sometimes I casually ask for a price, with no intention of ever getting in. I just want to see if there has been a change in the monopoly set price.

When they tell me the price, I say, "Too expensive" and walk off.

Sometimes I casually ask for a price, with no intention of ever getting in. I just want to see if there has been a change in the monopoly set price.

When they tell me the price, I say, "Too expensive" and walk off.

I'm sure they lose a lot of sleep over that............coffee1.gif

^^ thats pretty lame NKM , but whatever floats your boat I guess

My point is, if you walked into a market here and asked the price of say, a T-shirt, only to be told, "800 baht." - you would say "too expensive" and walk away, or offer a considerably lower price, and maybe eventually agree on a price, where the sale then takes place.

I occassionally ask for a price to see if there has been any change in the industry, or if they are willing to haggle.

Last time I asked, about 2 weeks ago, the price was still high, and they refused to haggle on it. So, still no change.

As mentioned by the OP, I also wonder how long they can hold out. This coming "high season" and I use the term "high season" losely, will be very interesting.

We've already had "The Thai Business 101" price increases, which is, "money go down - so put price up to keep same money" however, we can now see the effect of their ridiculous prices on the tourism industry here.

So, sooner or later, they may have to actually lower their prices, or go back to working a proper job, because the demand has really shrunk in recent times, which is totally their own fault.

Mmmmm. 19 posts and 2 answered the OP's question.

I rode in one once 13 years ago.
From Patong to Nai Harn when I moved there.
It was 400 baht and I only took it because I had a bunch of stuff to move.
I swore never again and I haven't.

By the way there was a cruise ship at Panwa a little over a month ago for you guys who are keeping track.

I am staying in patong for 3 days from Saturday and then we was planning on travelling round the island and staying in different areas for a couple of nights plus won't I need to get to rawai to catch a boat to some of the islands

Depends which islands. Most of the smaller speedboats run from Chalong pier, larger ferries to Phi Phi and beyond run from Rassada Pier in Phuket town. Speed boats to Koh Yai etc run from Bangrong pier north of Phuket Town.

Ok so on average say from patong to chalong or even to rawei do you think I will be paying

Tuk Tuk will try for 1,000 baht, might settle for 600 baht.

I would try ordering a cab from Grab Taxi application. Google it.

Might be lucky and see a passing meter taxi - lot more of them about these days, maybe not in downtown Patong.

Might want to consider renting a car, probably the same price as R/T from Patong to Rawai/Chalong, approximately 800 baht/day.

I thought about advising a rental car, but not sure these 800 baht/day roadside places in Patong offer true full insurance. Personaly I only rent from accredited car rental compnaies like Avis, Hertz, Budget and they usually charge more than 800 baht, more like 1,200 baht/day.

Sixt car rental operates in Phuket and rents cars from about 850 baht/day including 3rd party insurance and a loss damage waiver.

Go to their website Sixt.com and enter "Patong" as the pickup location. I think their office is at the southern end of Rat-U-Thit 200 Pii road near the Patong Merlin hotel.

Another option: Right now, GrabCar (GrabTaxi) is doing a promotion for one free ride anywhere in Phuket. Use promo code "FREE". They have another promotion for a 200 Baht discount for up to 3 separate trips using promo code "PHUKETGC". These discounts are being heavily promoted at the Patong Carnival this week, and are valid through 30 November. You'll need to download the GrabTaxi application to your smartphone, then select GrabCar when making your booking.

Ok so on average say from patong to chalong or even to rawei do you think I will be paying

Tuk Tuk will try for 1,000 baht, might settle for 600 baht.

I would try ordering a cab from Grab Taxi application. Google it.

Might be lucky and see a passing meter taxi - lot more of them about these days, maybe not in downtown Patong.

A tuk-tuk will try for 1000 baht and will settle for 1000 baht. biggrin.png