Powerful earthquake strikes northern Afghanistan

webfact

Powerful earthquake strikes northern Afghanistan

(BBC) A powerful earthquake has struck northern Afghanistan, with tremors felt as widely as Pakistan and northern India.

The quake had a magnitude of 7.7, the US Geological survey reported, and was centred in a mountainous region 45km (28 miles) south-west of Jarm.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34636269

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-10-26

NEW DELHI (AP) - People run out of buildings as strong tremor is felt across northern India.

ISLAMABAD (AP) - Powerful earthquake felt in Pakistan's capital.

Well, if their homes have been destroyed they can always head to Europe, but they should hurry before the cold weather sets in.

Realistically, I hope that the damage is minimal. Afghanistan really has had it's share of troubles without Mother nature unleashing more.

My best to all those who are negatively affected by this.

Death toll ‘surpasses 200’ in south Asia earthquake

606x341_315912.jpg

KARACHI: -- Local media reports suggest more than 200 people have died as a result of a magnitude 7.5 earthquake, which has rocked Afghanistan and Pakistan.

In Afghanistan’s Takhar province, a frenzied evacuation at a girls’ school ended in tragedy for at least twelve students, who were reportedly trampled under the feet of others trying to escape the building.

The ‘quake struck some 75 kilometres southeast of Feyzabad, near the mountainous Hindu Kush region of northern Afghanistan, shortly after 2pm local time.

Communications were brought down in some regions, meaning the death toll is likely to continue rising.

In Pakistan’s provincial capital Peshawar, at least a hundred people were taken to hospital.

The country’s army chief ordered troops to the areas affected by the ‘quake, which reportedly had the biggest impact in the north, but could be felt across the nation.

In the capital Islamabad buildings shook and people poured into the streets in a panic.

Noor Mohammad’s granddaughter was injured.

“I was saying my afternoon prayers when the earthquake happened and the roof and walls of the house collapsed,” he said. “Two children from my family were wounded.”

Shockwaves were felt as far away as northern India and Tajikistan, officials say, although there are no reported fatalities.

India’s prime minister Narendra Modi has ordered an urgent assessment of any damage.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-27

Houses in this area are often made from unreinforced masonry. This kind of structure is cheap to build in areas where timber is scarce, but has the worst resistance to earthquakes of any kind of building.

In 1988 a 6.8 earthquake hit Armenia and destroyed thousands of unreinforced masonry buildings. About 30,000 people died. In 1989 I experienced the 6.9 Loma Prieta earthquake. Because of US building standards only 63 people died.

This earthquake struck a remote area, so the casualties may not grow much beyond the numbers already reported, but I suspect that whole villages have been wiped out and we just haven't heard about them yet.