McDonald’s denies boycotting fish from Thailand

webfact

McDonald’s Denies Boycotting Fish From Thailand
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14458624941445862544l.jpg

BANGKOK — McDonald’s Thailand today denied rumors the multinational franchise did not use fish from Thailand due to the use of slave labor.

Responding to a fake photo of a McDonald's sign saying it was boycotting fish from Thailand – which inspired some online to threaten a counter-boycott in response – the fast food chain’s local partner announced on Facebook page today that while it only imports fish from the U.S. state of Alaska, it does so just for the sake of great taste.

“Regarding the latest picture shared via social media, it’s not a true story! Please carefully consider prior to sharing that one,” read the post.

The viral photo on social media yesterday convinced some netizens their source of Filet-O-Fish is boycotting fishery products from Thailand out of concern about the use of slave labor in Thailand’s seafood industry.

“We don’t use fish caught in Thailand by slave labor in our fish sandwiches,” it read.

Some were incensed.

“They’re so clearly against us, so how can we still go to McDonald’s? Think about it … Are you actually Thai?” read a comment circulated with the image online.

McDonald’s isn’t known for making political statements on the signs of its stores, and the photo was quickly exposed to be fake made by an online sign generator.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1445862494&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-10-27

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McD's should have had the balls to say, "We source our fish from Alaska for consistency of taste, so we do not intentionally boycott Thai fish. However, we would boycott Thai fish if we had the choice. We could never condone slavery by giving it our patronage"

So, you lose a few patriotic Thai customers. They're probably the type of customer who arrogantly mess the place up, sit for hours doing business, and don't buy much anyway.

Excellent news for a change: McDonald's boycotts Thai fish and perhaps there is a chance of less slavery and human rights abuses in the Thai fishing industry, while Thais boycott McD's and there is a chance of less obesity, premature heart attacks and better health prospects for Thai population. Not to mention the environmental benefits. Win-win-win situation all round! clap2.gif

It would have been the perfect platform fo Maccas to make a stand against fishing slavery issues.

The announcement could have come from the US which would have enabled Thailand franchisees an excuse........but they blew it !!

I had half a MacDonalds fish burger (Forgot their name for it!) back in 1990 and it tasted like sh1t smells so I think their telling porkies! No I couldn't eat all of it or I would have thrown up my breakfast.

i have never eaten at McD, but i know all the sheep and poor do....so i buy shares of McD and make millions as the poor eat bad meat, fish, and enjoy spending a few dollars on bad food...

love McD, they control the masses!!

When you don't have any facts, why not invent them and see if you can post it up online and go ... wait for it ... VIRAL

I assume that this is the best they can do to retaliate . Their is a growing boycott movement by consumers against US buyers/sellers of pet food and AG and Costco who buy farmed Shrimp. Looks to be hurting already. Actually confronting the problem or even publishing stories in newspapers about what is taking place and why is unfortunately out of bounds. As such hit where you can, truth be dammed.

i have never eaten at McD, but i know all the sheep and poor do....so i buy shares of McD and make millions as the poor eat bad meat, fish, and enjoy spending a few dollars on bad food...

love McD, they control the masses!!

Not food for the poor here in Thailand, by a longshot. Place for hiso wannabes to think they gain some sort of status being there. As you don't eat at McD's, I would guess they don't care about your opinion. But you do support them by buying their stock.

Only one of the product in burger called called Fish-O some thing they are selling. They just can show the picture on menu with out of stock as usual.

Anyhow McDonalds themselves use slave labors around the world. There are many protesting in US for pay scale, working hours, etc.

McDonalds are one of the employers of illegal immigrants in US for low wages, no wonder they dont care fishy protest around the world.

Anyhow i stopped eating Mc's and KFC's since past year to lose weight, it really works!

"Are you actually Thai?"

Er, no. They're not.

Even if they were Thai, would it be wrong to boycott slave labor caught fish?

Even after living here for 9 years the levels of nationalism in this country shock me sometimes.

Er, yes they are. This entire story and entire issue are about Thailand and McThai. The parent company or "actual McDonald's" or whatever you want to call it are not involved - or to be more precise are not quoted and, so far as we know, not aware of this ridiculous troll and its credulous believers.

The only non-Thai involved in the original story is

http://www.says-it.com/fastfood/mcdonalds.php

McD's should have had the balls to say, "We source our fish from Alaska for consistency of taste, so we do not intentionally boycott Thai fish. However, we would boycott Thai fish if we had the choice. We could never condone slavery by giving it our patronage"

So, you lose a few patriotic Thai customers. They're probably the type of customer who arrogantly mess the place up, sit for hours doing business, and don't buy much anyway.

"which inspired some online to threaten a counter-boycott in response"

yes the same Thai online warriors you are talking about - and any Thai boycott would last as long as a Thai crackdown anyway... 2 days?

Quote: “They’re so clearly against us, so how can we still go to McDonald’s? Think about it … Are you actually Thai?”

What kind of rhetoric is that? So if one is Thai, it also means one should be ok with ills like slavery? What misplaced nationalism/Thainess.

Quote: “They’re so clearly against us, so how can we still go to McDonald’s? Think about it … Are you actually Thai?”

What kind of rhetoric is that? So if one is Thai, it also means one should be ok with ills like slavery? What misplaced nationalism/Thainess.

When I try to discuss the slavery on Thai fishing vessels with my Thai inlaws and even my wife's 'educated' circle of friends, I receive a lot of frowns.

Most Thais have no clue of what's going on. When foreign nations are complaining about Thai industries and practices, its easy to understand why nationalist emotions come up. Its part of the strong feeling of insecurity that is prevalent in this society.

Excellent news for a change: McDonald's boycotts Thai fish and perhaps there is a chance of less slavery and human rights abuses in the Thai fishing industry, while Thais boycott McD's and there is a chance of less obesity, premature heart attacks and better health prospects for Thai population. Not to mention the environmental benefits. Win-win-win situation all round! clap2.gif

They will just cross the road and go to KFC...

And, hate to point this out, but your name, plachon, refers to one of the fish caught by those slaved...kind of ironic, no?

Edited by TheKnave

Only one of the product in burger called called Fish-O some thing they are selling. They just can show the picture on menu with out of stock as usual.

Anyhow McDonalds themselves use slave labors around the world. There are many protesting in US for pay scale, working hours, etc.

McDonalds are one of the employers of illegal immigrants in US for low wages, no wonder they dont care fishy protest around the world.

Anyhow i stopped eating Mc's and KFC's since past year to lose weight, it really works!

Google the meaning of slave....McD may pay low. But they don't lock their staff in cages, everyone who doesn't like it can leave.

That wages are low is because of the economic problems, if there would be plenty of better jobs McD would have to rise salary.

"Are you actually Thai?"

Er, no. They're not.

Even if they were Thai, would it be wrong to boycott slave labor caught fish?

Even after living here for 9 years the levels of nationalism in this country shock me sometimes.

And after 70 years as a US citizen, the "levels of nationalism" there shock me also.