Brake failure blamed for truck flip in Kamala

webfact

Brake failure blamed for truck flip in Kamala

1445912663_1-org.jpg
The truck flipped after running out of control down Kamala Hill. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Brake failure has been blamed for a construction materials truck running out of control and flipping onto its side on Kamala Hill yesterday afternoon (Oct 26).

The driver, Aphitchart Toreewong, 51, told police that he was delivering construction materials from a store in Thalang to a worksite near Baan Zaan in Patong when the truck began running out of control down Kamala Hill at about 3pm.

“I could not brake, so the truck ran out of control until it flipped over,” Aphitchart said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/brake-failure-blamed-for-truck-flip-in-kamala-54699.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-27

The brakes only fail in this country because no one, not a damn one of them will preform prevented maintenance on their vehicles or company vehicles. These companies should be fined for repairs and criminal charges if someone is hurt or killed.

Minivan camera catches epic Phuket truck crash
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: A tourist heading to Phuket International Airport and his van driver narrowly escaped death after an out-of-control truck piled with construction materials flipped on Kata Hill and skidded to a stop within a meter of them yesterday afternoon.

The two people in the crashed truck were minorly injured and taken to Patong Hospital.

“The 51-year-old driver, Apichart Toreewong, told us that the truck belonging to Thai Watsadu was on its way from Srisoonthorn to deliver materials to Patong when the brakes allegedly failed as it attempted to descend the hill,” said Lt Prasert Thongprom of the Kamala Police.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Minivan-camera-catches-epic-Phuket-truck-crash/62226?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-27

What epic about this? Brake failed my arss. Truck was overloaded and speeding around the curve. Incompetent drive.

From the video i can't see if he was speeding.. not much image on that goes too fast also the truck came from the other side and when 2 cars are moving towards each-other it hard to estimate speed.

Can you tell me how you came to your conclusion I might learn something.

Looks like corner entered way too fast, unsecured load shifted in the corner which contributed to over-steer into the barrier, truck mounts the barrier and physics did the driving from there on.

Very lucky escape for the minivan.

Brakes probably did fail because morons ride them all the way down the hill, instead of of engaging a lower gear.

What epic about this? Brake failed my arss. Truck was overloaded and speeding around the curve. Incompetent drive.

From the video i can't see if he was speeding.. not much image on that goes too fast also the truck came from the other side and when 2 cars are moving towards each-other it hard to estimate speed.

If you cannot see from the video that the truck was speeding, you might explain why it was slipping so long time.

If you cannot see from the video that the truck was speeding, you might explain why it was slipping so long time.

Good point about the slipping that certainly makes sense. But I don't know what is normal how long a truck would slip with normal speed and such. So I have no reference to compare it with also the truck (before it slipped / slide turned over) was only in view for a real short time, so it was almost impossible to make out its speed.

Well known that truck and coach drivers have no idea about using gears to brake a heavy vehicle, they only know how to speed and then ride the brakes to overboil point, as if they are driving a regular car.

I agree. I'm not trying to be a clever dick but when I was in the UK Army on a truck driving course, it was hammered into us "Drive on your gearbox and not on your brakes". (I think the trucks were Bedford 3 tonners).

Also,and this is age I guess, when I learned to drive 50 years ago, we automatically 'feathered the brakes' in normal driving, instead of just pushing hard on the pedal. This was probably because UK cars tended only to have drum brakes all round and you could get brake fade quite easily if you just put your foot down. and held it there. Obviously an emergency stop would be different. Also, I think it gives the driver behind a clear intention of a likely stop etc.

I raise these points as I suspect as vehicle braking sytems have become much better and efficient, usually with discs all round, I think that many drivers are now bought up simply to press accelerater for go and brake to stop. OK if there is regular maintenance on the braking system.

Glad I still drive on the same basis as I was taught all those decades ago.

It appears the Blue van behind the truck was traveling at the same speed. It did not crash and had time to stop.

Truck appears to wide into the corner ( not paying attention ) and then over compensating into the guard rail. Braking to Hard. Using the Clutch would be the safest way to slow down. But slowing before the corner would have helped. Never brake on a corner, NO Brake failure evident is my bottom line. .

That's my take on the situation. thumbsup.gif

Another beautiful day in Thailand biggrin.png

It appears the Blue van behind the truck was traveling at the same speed. It did not crash and had time to stop.

Truck appears to wide into the corner ( not paying attention ) and then over compensating into the guard rail. Braking to Hard. Using the Clutch would be the safest way to slow down. But slowing before the corner would have helped. Never brake on a corner, NO Brake failure evident is my bottom line. .

That's my take on the situation. thumbsup.gif

Another beautiful day in Thailand biggrin.png

Agreed. At 16 seconds you can clearly see he is swinging wide and starting to tip over.

Driver believes brake failure as he knows no better...

In too fast, caught Armco, rode up it, and that was it, inertia/gravity took over, swung him out, top heavy load... is just pure luck it occurred between the car in front and transfer vehicle. This is the fastest part of this hill rd on way towards Kalim/Patong (what I mean is right at base of the hill then pieters out onto a dip straight climbing back up a long gradual rise/gradient, always busy most times of the day, real lucky not a bigger accident,

Love the Transfer driver 'Excuse me Sir one moment please' now theres customer service for you!