No booze sold today in Thailand as 'Wan Ok Phansa' goes dry

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt if there is a city,town or village in Thailand where alcohol cannot be bought today.

Quite sad when people can't show a little bit of respect for the country they live in and even sadder when people can't go one day without alcohol

It is not about a day without, it is about no notice before. What if you planned your wedding, band, food, and the lot? Think my friend, think..

Be more organised and don't leave things till the last minute.

Be prepared my friend be prepared

Why should he have to be prepared? Why should the population have to be prepared? Why should legally-aged, adult Thais be treated like children incapable of making up there minds over whether they would like to drink or not, particularly over someone else's adherence to a religion and/or moral philosophy? People should not have to put up with such asinine nonsense. As I have already stated, it's nothing to do with the issue of drinking per say, it's to do with having the liberty to make a decision for yourself forcibly removed from the equation. How would people feel if they were told that on a particular day that they had to drink alcohol over someone's interpretation of a creation myth or philosophy? Would that be ok? Surety not. It amounts to the same thing. Denying people the right to choose. Maybe you should check if the government has any openings in their PR team.

It's 1.50 in Thailand now, many places started to sell alcohol almost two hours ago, many others sold it "concealed", much earlier. No reason to sweat it out, bad measures are meant to be broken smile.png

Well legally alcohol can't be sold after midnight on any day of the year. So I don't think the shops that obey the law can sell it until 11 in the morning. I do know many places sell it anyway. I was also just joking because some of the reactions we get in these threads you would think people literally are sweating it out. :)

It's 1.50 in Thailand now, many places started to sell alcohol almost two hours ago, many others sold it "concealed", much earlier. No reason to sweat it out, bad measures are meant to be broken smile.png

Well legally alcohol can't be sold after midnight on any day of the year. So I don't think the shops that obey the law can sell it until 11 in the morning. I do know many places sell it anyway. I was also just joking because some of the reactions we get in these threads you would think people literally are sweating it out. smile.png

it certainly can be sold legally after midnight, in fact the 'entertainment' zones designated by the law can sell until 2:00. Those are RCA, Silom and Ratchada.

In many other zones it is sold well past 6am, but I guess that's not strictly legal.

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

There's always a flip-side to every coin.

Why must the tourists suffer? Many arrive from cold climates (or a Muslim desert) expecting a week or 3 in a tropical paradise, only to be met with "Mai dai/cannot".

I do believe I have read that tourism accounts for 10% of the Thai GDP.

To add insult to injury, this "ban" will have ZERO effect on the locals and/or expats, who all know of a Mom & Pop store where they can score a snort of booze, and only affect the tourists.

As for your students....sorry, but trying to legislate behavior at a Federal/Central Government level is asinine and inane at best.

I rarely drink in Thailand but last week i went to buy beer at our local 711, it was 7 minutes after midnight and i didn't get any!

They pointed at some paper, between 00:00 and 05:00 no alcohol.....facepalm.gif

I popped into a 7-11 once at about 5:05 PM... They said "Cannot". I had to tell them to check the time, and then laughingly called her "Ting-Tong".

I got my beer & we all had quick laugh.

Stupid laws though - middle of the day stuff particularly.

I once saw what appeared to be some Scandinavian tourist trying to buy a couple jugs at a Tesco once. I was there with 2 cases of beer in my cart, and had just made the time cut-off with about 2 minutes to spare, but the witching hour (in the middle of the day) had arrived, and they were told "Cannot", with no explanation, so I explained it to them. They were less than happy at the inconvenience, and if I had not been there, would have left utterly bewildered.

I rarely drink in Thailand but last week i went to buy beer at our local 711, it was 7 minutes after midnight and i didn't get any!

I popped into a 7-11 once at about 5:05 PM... They said "Cannot". I had to tell them to check the time, and then laughingly called her "Ting-Tong".

I once saw what appeared to be some Scandinavian tourist trying to buy a couple jugs at a Tesco once. I was there with 2 cases of beer in my cart, and had just made the time cut-off with about 2 minutes to spare, but the witching hour (in the middle of the day) had arrived, and they were told "Cannot", with no explanation, so I explained it to them. They were less than happy at the inconvenience, and if I had not been there, would have left utterly bewildered.

The problem is that i can't remember all those rules, many times i 've been at the counter with my arms full of beer and then i had to bring them back to the fridges. They should just close the beer-fridge during that time.

Also some years ago at a supermarket i couldn't buy beer because of the time but if i bought 2 boxes it was no problem blink.png , so that's what i did.

If i was a regular drinker i would just always have a stock at home. It's too complicated to remember all those rules.

Also i don't understand why motocy taxi's can drink beer in public while on duty. Last week i even saw one who stopped in the middle of nowhere at a field to take a big piss while his lady-customer was sitting on his bike and waiting gigglem.gif

If I had told the rather feisty lass in my local 7/11 she was "ting tong" I suspect I would have been wearing my beer!

If this one day irritates, wait until a certain long awaited unhappy event.

I shouldn't be surprised if you won't be able to get a beer, or see a movie, go to a club or use social media for a significant period of time.

I shouldn't be surprised if you won't be able to get a beer, or see a movie, go to a club or use social media for a significant period of time.

Ok, I'll bite. To which apocalyptic vision of doom & destruction are you referring? I have trouble keeping all these world-ending prophecies straight.

I doubt if there is a city,town or village in Thailand where alcohol cannot be bought today.

Quite sad when people can't show a little bit of respect for the country they live in and even sadder when people can't go one day without alcohol

It is not about a day without, it is about no notice before. What if you planned your wedding, band, food, and the lot? Think my friend, think..

Why should he have to be prepared? Why should the population have to be prepared? Why should legally-aged, adult Thais be treated like children incapable of making up there minds over whether they would like to drink or not, particularly over someone else's adherence to a religion and/or moral philosophy? People should not have to put up with such asinine nonsense. As I have already stated, it's nothing to do with the issue of drinking per say, it's to do with having the liberty to make a decision for yourself forcibly removed from the equation. How would people feel if they were told that on a particular day that they had to drink alcohol over someone's interpretation of a creation myth or philosophy? Would that be ok? Surety not. It amounts to the same thing. Denying people the right to choose. Maybe you should check if the government has any openings in their PR team.

First of all I'm not quite sure why your replying to a post that wasn't even directed at you and secondly I actually think you've been drinking too much with some of drivel your coming out with, stay off the booze it really isn't good for your brain!

Edited by mick01827

Ok, I'll bite. To which apocalyptic vision of doom & destruction are you referring? I have trouble keeping all these world-ending prophecies straight.

As a ten year veteran of TVF, I would have thought JAG's comment was as plain as day. I don't recall him mentioning, apocalypse or doom and destruction.

Just join the dots. Most of us can.

As a ten year veteran of TVF, I would have thought JAG's comment was as plain as day. I don't recall him mentioning, apocalypse or doom and destruction.

Just join the dots. Most of us can.

The local standard is 100days?

When the Kings Mother died there was an official three day period of mourning.

I remember it well because it was my first trip here and this mourning period started the day after I arrived.

First of all I'm not quite sure why your replying to a post that wasn't even directed at you and secondly I actually think you've been drinking too much with some of drivel your coming out with, stay off the booze it really isn't good for your brain!

A decidedly petty response from a decidedly presumptuous individual... The argument is plain and simple: no one has the right to decide for you. If you deem this view as mere "drivel", as you eloquently put it, then feel free to provide a basis as to why what I have said is drivel. Resorting to unfounded accusations of intoxication on my part for expressing a reasonable opinion would indicate that you have no counter argument, and in the absence of one, decided that mudslinging was an appropriate response. And indeed, who can really argue that freedom of choice on such an issue warrants debate? Have a drink and think about it.

If not drinking booze 5 days a year is going to upset your life style, I would suggest you find a new life style. coffee1.gif

Actually I think it's getting close to seven days a year now. Still one can do without many things and alcohol and cigarettes are on that list. Some may need a bit of willpower, some motivation, support from friends or family.

Haha, willpower ? No worries all is well on Silom Soi 4, alltough we do have to drink out of a paper cup. Nice tea money compromise.

Silom soi 4? Probably one soi with bars I never feel a need to go look at.

Believe it or not but they are doing this trying to get the Thai people to stay of the booze at least a couple a days a year. I also support this with banning the sale of alcohol close to schools, Monday morning I had 5 of my M.4 students puking outside the classroom thanks to hangover! I know that they can get alcohol further away but at least they must use more effort than just walk out of school to get the booze.

If anyone feels that not being able to drink alcohol for 5 days a year is a big deal then I would suggest Wat Tham Krabok or AA.

Er, sorry. What is being discussed here, is the end of Buddhist Lent. That is THREE MONTHS of no alcohol to the people who decide to abstain. My missus, my BIL, and a bunch of Thais i know, who abstain for 3 months, want to let rip on that first day back on the booze. Nice food, boxes of beer. Er, notice fireworks in most places in Thailand on the 27th too? Everyone wants to celebrate. Oh, and yeah, here, nobody takes a blind bit of notice what the latest order/law coming out of BKK is.