retirement for uk married couple

Hi all

We are trying to get the retirement visa but have a few problems because uk bank account is in both names and I now believe that you cannot have your spouse on the visa without her also having a 65000 baht income . Could you please advise if this is now the case and is there any way around it. also we don,t have marriage certificate with us. Thought of getting married again to get a cerficate but don,t want to make the same mistake twice. ( I jest in case the wife reads this) Have read Jomtien used to accept one income but not any more

Thanks Everyone

If you get an extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a visa) at immigration your wife can get a an extension as your dependent with no need to show financial proof for her. But certainly need your marriage certificate for her to apply. If possible you should have someone send it to you. Edit: Or you could order one here: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

If you can get a income letter from the UK embassy proving the 65k baht income that is all you will need.

Without proof of marriage you both would require such an extension and have to meet financials. You can not get married again - you need to obtain copies of your current marriage paperwork. Financials can be 800k or 65k or combination each applicant.

Once marriage is provable only one would require retirement extension and the 800k in bank or 65k income or combination to meet 800k per year requirement - the other could obtain single entry non immigrant O visa on basis or marriage and then extend to match without financials.

Thanks for reply. Have inquired at Jontiem and have been told each of us need proof of 65,000 income but if we deposit 800,000 marriage certificate will be accepted but am unable to meet that amount. Really useful link thanks vm.

No financial proof is needed for your wife to get an extension as your dependent. There must be a misunderstanding or you are getting false info from an unqualified person.

See clause 2.20 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

Clause 2.22 is for retirement extensions.

As said there is a "misunderstanding" somewhere ...............

What was the question put to Jomtien immigration?

The financial requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement can be met by .......

1. Having 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank.

OR

2. Having a provable income of 65,000 Bht/month certified by a letter from the British Embassy.

OR

A combination of 1+2 totaling 800,000 Bht.

As already stated your wife as a dependent would not have to show any finances.

What visas do you and your wife have at the moment ?

Have just returned from Jontiem immi and asked at the counter if my wife could be granted a visa on the 65000 baht bank statement with me and was told to apply as separate visa and each required a bank statement for 65,000 with embassy letter each.

We had visa on arrival and are now on a 30 day extension from Jontiem. I don't feel it would be a good idea to try and argue with them over the case whether right or wrong but did read blog a saying this was now the case due lots of marriage splits.

You can't argue with them without proof of marriage - for retirement you would both need financials. But with marriage proof only one would need retirement extension - the other could stay as spouse on an extension matching the time without financials.

One of you could use 800k in bank account (after two months in account) and the other use 65k income if that works. But that would require deposit of funds now and that person then exit to obtain a non immigrant O 90 day visa entry to extend after the two months.

Have just returned from Jontiem immi and asked at the counter if my wife could be granted a visa on the 65000 baht bank statement with me and was told to apply as separate visa and each required a bank statement for 65,000 with embassy letter each.

We had visa on arrival and are now on a 30 day extension from Jontiem. I don't feel it would be a good idea to try and argue with them over the case whether right or wrong but did read blog a saying this was now the case due lots of marriage splits.

Clearly the wrong question is being asked !

Had you inquired about your wife being granted an extension of stay based on her being your dependent you most likely would have received a very different answer.

However, you must be able to prove you are married before an extension based on dependency can be applied for.

Edited by oncearugge

I think the problem is that they have extended 30 day visa exempt entries are are trying to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. That can only be done for getting a retirement extension. They will not do one for a dependent extension.

The person getting the dependent extension would have to go to an embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

Sorry I just noted that you are currently on a 30 day extension.

You are going to have to give consideration to what happens next as you will rapidly run out of time.

You can buy some time by securing double entry tourist visas in Vientiane, Loas.

Have you taken steps to obtain the marriage certificate?

Edited by oncearugge

Thanks for that . Will go again tomorrow and ask.

Did contact the British Embassy in Bangkok but they did not know what was required and are going to ring back but I am still waiting, We wanted to go and get letter of proof but they have no counter service and we will have to use post. Cutbacks Eh. and not cheap for 2 letters

I think the problem is that they have extended 30 day visa exempt entries are are trying to do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry. That can only be done for getting a retirement extension. They will not do one for a dependent extension.

The person getting the dependent extension would have to go to an embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

I think it is somewhat worse. The OP states he cannot meet the 800,000 and does not say if he already has an income letter from the Embassy.

Nor do we know how many days remain on his extension.

It would seem best if the OP PM'd you and requested a "plan" which could be followed.

Thanks for that . Will go again tomorrow and ask.

Did contact the British Embassy in Bangkok but they did not know what was required and are going to ring back but I am still waiting, We wanted to go and get letter of proof but they have no counter service and we will have to use post. Cutbacks Eh. and not cheap for 2 letters

Info on getting an income letter is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

How many days do you have left on the 30 day extensions you got?

30 day ext is until 29th Nov so have a bit of breathing space.

Just downloaded embassy request form.

Have seen ads for agents claiming to get visas without proof of funds but feel if it's to good to be true etc.

Will request marriage cert tomorrow if Jomtien agree

30 day ext is until 29th Nov so have a bit of breathing space.

Just downloaded embassy request form.

Have seen ads for agents claiming to get visas without proof of funds but feel if it's to good to be true etc.

Will request marriage cert tomorrow if Jomtien agree

Some 100% good advice here " Stay away from "visa agents" . The "offers" are at least fraudulent if not criminally illegal!

What are you wanting immigration to agree to ?

Yeah good advice Thanks

Hoping to get my Wife on the Retirement Ext with just my proof of income

Madam has just requested marriage cert from uk.gov and should be here by the end of the week express post £23-40 great service

Yeah good advice Thanks

Madam has just requested marriage cert from uk.gov and should be here by the end of the week express post £23-40 great service

Your wife will never be "on" your retirement extension.

Asking such questions at immigration will cause confusion and probably answers which you do not wish to hear.

She can, once you have the marriage certificate, apply for an extension as your dependent once you have secured an extension based on retirement. No finances needed.

Keep in touch.

Yeah good advice Thanks

Unless immigration has changed their policy recently your wife will not be able to do the conversion to a non immigrant visa needed to apply for the dependent extension. They will only do them for a retirement extension.

She will have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

I am certain immigration will not do the conversion for your wife's extension so best to just get yours.

Or after you have your income letter from the embassy and the marriage certificate you both could make a trip to Vientiane Laos or Penang Malaysia to get single entry non-o visas and then apply for both extensions at the same time. Both will issue your wife's visa at the same time as yours.

Many thanks again, sounds like a cunning plan. Will probably try and get mine and then the Wife's and in the meantime look up a trip to Vientiane as a failsafe. We have a month on our hands so we can see which way to go.

Many Thanks to you all for the Help it much appreciated