Death Customs Questions

vcpeters

I have wife and 2 young children but have only been here permanently for 1 year. Grandma died last year and I experienced all the customs since most of the ceremonies took place on our farm. I gave money to 5 people for funerals in the last 7 days for people who have died since they contributed to help during Grandma's ceremonies. I understand all this but have had two issues happen in past year that I can't quite understand from explanations from my Thai wife.

A 7 yr old boy accidentally shot himself in head with gun from friend that was used to scare dogs away from chickens. Six months after his death there was a huge celebration that lasted a few days with an extreme drunk and dancing party through the streets of villagers that took about 4 hours following a large disco music truck. We didn't do this for Grandma. Can someone explain the significance of this ceremony?

The next issue happen last week and is much more bizarre! Our next door neighbor hung herself and another neighbor took the noose that she hung herself for good luck in getting the right bingo numbers. This didn't workout well and he lost at bingo and cannot sleep so now he has requested that monks come to bless his house. Can someone explain what this is about?

Edited by vcpeters

When one of my wife's uncles had a stroke ( I lived in the village when that happened) I offered them to drive him to a hospital in Surin with a stroke unit. An IV injection within eight to ten hours after a stroke might have "healed" him.

I pointed to my car, offered to drive him to Surin and pay the hospital bill as well. But they decided to wait.......

I visited him every day and it was clear that he had a stroke. One day my wife came home and told me that they'd know what his problem was. Her message almost shocked me to death.

"Ghosts want to take him", so some village elders were dancing around him to "take the ghosts out of his body.

After only 10 days, or so, they had to bring him to the local hospital, where he's hanging on life support machines. They finally sent him to Surin, to the same hospital i wanted to bring him right after the incident, when he was found near a rice field.

The professor at the Surin hospital told them that it would be too late and he might have seven more days or less. He died after six days.

And the professor asked them why they couldn't bring the patient earlier. Since then my wife's beliefs in ghosts has changed a little.

But to your question.

The monks usually tell them on what day(s) certain celebrations have to be done. They show up in the morning and once more in the early evening.

To the 7-year-olds death. There are also other countries where death is celebrated with music, laughter and fun. That's again the decision of monks when a Tamboon for the deceased has to be done and how.

There's usually a Tamboon (merit) after the death of a person, sometimes with half naked Morlam dance and girls in the temple area. Loud music all night long might even help the other ghosts. ( Ghosts live in a temple)

Thais ( but also many other cultures) believe that the soul of somebody who killed him(her)self remains in the house where the incident took place.

There's only one solution. Make the ghost happy and do a Tamboon. A lot of food, Lao Khao and loud music might be of help to point the ghost the right way to the temple.

It's all about religious and cultural beliefs. Please "watch" attached movie, it was a Tamboon inside the temple area. Monks were not seen. Lol

Edited by lostinisaan

Just asked my Thai missus how the noose could help find the winning bingo/lottery numbers. She said when someone dies 'many Thai people believe' that dead people/ghosts generally can communicate the upcoming winning bingo/lottery numbers somehow. So, for example, she said that your neighbour would having been looking to see winning number formations in the threads and braiding of the noose.

Here's another personal example she gave of this when her mother died very recently.When praying and burning an incense stick in the temple/Wat in front of Gmother's coffin, her 10 yr old Great grandson thought he could see the number '2' in the tray of ashes beneath the burnt sticks. My missus believed that this number; note: ONLY ONE NUMBER, might have been sent from her mother so bought a 6 numbered LOSING lottery ticket in the hope of winning.......Thanks mate.......Best laughs Ive had in ages!!!

I also gleaned that if the death is not from natural causes, e.g., the boy's accident, then the body will be kept for months longer, maybe 1 year. Firstly for police enquiry but also at family's discretion.

Sounds like you have had a one year crash course in Thai superstition.

Good luck wherever you are in your village!

Edited by SunsetT

When one of my wife's uncles had a stroke ( I lived in the village when that happened) I offered them to drive him to a hospital in Surin with a stroke unit. An IV injection within eight to ten hours after a stroke might have "healed" him.

I pointed to my car, offered to drive him to Surin and pay the hospital bill as well. But they decided to wait.......

I visited him every day and it was clear that he had a stroke. One day my wife came home and told me that they'd know what his problem was. Her message almost shocked me to death.

"Ghosts want to take him", so some village elders were dancing around him to "take the ghosts out of his body.

After only 10 days, or so, they had to bring him to the local hospital, where he's hanging on life support machines. They finally sent him to Surin, to the same hospital i wanted to bring him right after the incident, when he was found near a rice field.

The professor at the Surin hospital told them that it would be too late and he might have seven more days or less. He died after six days.

And the professor asked them why they couldn't bring the patient earlier. Since then my wife's beliefs in ghosts has changed a little.

But to your question.

The monks usually tell them on what day(s) certain celebrations have to be done. They show up in the morning and once more in the early evening.

To the 7-year-olds death. There are also other countries where death is celebrated with music, laughter and fun. That's again the decision of monks when a Tamboon for the deceased has to be done and how.

There's usually a Tamboon (merit) after the death of a person, sometimes with half naked Morlam dance and girls in the temple area. Loud music all night long might even help the other ghosts. ( Ghosts live in a temple)

Thais ( but also many other cultures) believe that the soul of somebody who killed him(her)self remains in the house where the incident took place.

There's only one solution. Make the ghost happy and do a Tamboon. A lot of food, Lao Khao and loud music might be of help to point the ghost the right way to the temple.

It's all about religious and cultural beliefs. Please "watch" attached movie, it was a Tamboon inside the temple area. Monks were not seen. Lol

Thanks for in-depth explanation. I respect the Thai culture, but my adopted 4 yr old cannot be alone in the dark because of her belief in Ghosts. I am trying to protect my biological 2 yr old from fearing Ghosts. I want him to understand the culture but trying my best to have him look at events pragmatically as he grows up in Thailand. He has American citizenship so once he ie old enough want to make sure he is exposed to another culture.

Just asked my Thai missus how the noose could help find the winning bingo/lottery numbers. She said when someone dies 'many Thai people believe' that dead people/ghosts generally can communicate the upcoming winning numbers somehow. So, for example, your neighbour would having been looking to see winning number formations in the threads and braiding of the noose.

Here's another personal example she gave of this when her mother died recently.When praying and burning an incense stick in the temple/Wat in front of Gmother's coffin, her 10 yr old Great grandson thought he could see the number '2' in the tray of ashes beneath the burnt sticks. My missus believed that this number; note: ONLY ONE NUMBER, might have been sent from her mother so bought a 6 numbered lottery ticket in the hope of winning.......Best laughs Ive had in ages!!!

Sounds like you have had a one year crash course in Thai superstition.

Good luck mate! Wherever you are in your village!

Excellent explanation - this is now making some sense from a Thai point of view!

But to your question.

Thanks for in-depth explanation. I respect the Thai culture, but my adopted 4 yr old cannot be alone in the dark because of her belief in Ghosts. I am trying to protect my biological 2 yr old from fearing Ghosts. I want him to understand the culture but trying my best to have him look at events pragmatically as he grows up in Thailand. He has American citizenship so once he ie old enough want to make sure he is exposed to another culture.

Wonderful video mate! Dont worry about the faces, focus, as close as you can get, on the important stuff.........You're an unashamed pervert, just like me..........555.

Yep, pretty much agree with all that's been written aligns with my experiences. As for the parties, with ear drum shattering, blood curdling loud music, plus copious amounts of beer and white whisky...well the same party seems to occur whether it be funeral, wedding, monk ordination, doesn't seem to matter, maybe the ghosts need it loud so they can hear in the afterlife!

But to your question.

Wonderful video mate! Dont worry about the faces, focus, as close as you can get, on the important stuff.........You're an unashamed pervert, just like me..........555.

Now you really got me on that. Glad that you didn't call me an old and bald perverted unashamed moddafragger. But you know what?

There's nothing perverted, sexuality is part of our lives and it seems that mostly American people seem to have a little probem with their own sexual indentity.

The problem when shooting the movie was that the stage was so high, even higher than some youngsters who were dancing around like ghosts.

So I could basically only film the lower body parts, I mean don't we see such faces like theirs almost every day and everywhere?

And it was so dark that I could hardly see anything.....( but wife was with me and watched all my steps..hrrrr)

You know the giving them a flower(s), or a Sao baht bill, hoping they might have a chance to score. But these girls don't even look at them with their mostly very nice looking Toots.

You can book such a dance group and it's really only up to your wallet what they wear. I was at Moram parties where they wore see through stuff and that almost made me blind....( when my wife caught me staring at them at hit me with a sledgehammer.....)

Live your life as it was your last day. Tomorrow could be your last day. Nobody knows it and that's good so. I already know where they'll set me on fire.

Happy Isaan days. Life could be worse. Like living in Pattaya and paying 30 baht for a photo where a guiy's selling Isaan bugs.

Or the typical Phuket "luxury perverts expats" who constantly borrow money from guys on a holiday.

And please look at the bar stool acrobats at Nana, who start their first beer at 9 am and don't even know if they slept with a lb, or a three legged camel. giggle.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

But to your question.

Now you really got me on that. Glad that you didn't call me an old and bald perverted unashamed moddafragger. But you know what?

There's nothing perverted, sexuality is part of our lives and it seems that mostly American people seem to have a little probem with their own sexual indentity.

The problem when shooting the movie was that the stage was so high, even higher than some youngsters who were dancing around like ghosts.

So I could basically only film the lower body parts, I mean don't we see such faces like theirs almost every day and everywhere?

And it was so dark that I could hardly see anything.....( but wife was with me and watched all my steps..hrrrr)

You know the giving them a flower(s), or a Sao baht bill, hoping they might have a chance to score. But these girls don't even look at them with their mostly very nice looking Toots.

You can book such a dance group and it's really only up to your wallet what they wear. I was at Moram parties where they wore see through stuff and that almost made me blind....( when my wife caught me staring at them at hit me with a sledgehammer.....)

Live your life as it was your last day. Tomorrow could be your last day. Nobody knows it and that's good so. I already know where they'll set me on fire.

Happy Isaan days. Life could be worse. Like living in Pattaya and paying 30 baht for a photo where a guiy's selling Isaan bugs.

Or the typical Phuket "luxury perverts expats" who constantly borrow money from guys on a holiday.

And please look at the bar stool acrobats at Nana, who start their first beer at 9 am and don't even know if they slept with a lb, or a three legged camel. giggle.gif

Yes, no need for excuses, as you say; it is perfectly natural and what we were put on this Earth to do. Just watch any wildlife documentary to confirm this.

Im with you all the way about living in Isaan too.