Laos Pre-Nov 13th Question

Hey gang,

I have some (probably simple) visa questions that I'm hoping I can get a straight forward answer to. After realizing how much there is to explore and do here I have decided I'd like to stay in Thailand for a few months (2-4 ideally). I've read a number of the posts here and other sites but haven't been able to get a substantive enough answer to lean on.

Background:

-US passport

-I entered Thailand on the 13th of October

-Received a 30 day visa

-Means I have to leave by the 11th of November, or get an extension

I'm pretty sure that's all correct.

My questions are:

1) With the (possibly) impending Nov 13 change, it seems like it would be in my best interest to head to Laos and get a 60 day tourist visa there, right?

2) Would I have any challenges getting that, or a double entry, that I may want to be prepared for?

3) Basically I would get to Laos on the 11th (wed), then go to the consulate on the 12th, so I wouldn't hit any issues with the 13th right? If for some reason I ended up getting to the consulate on the 13th would that be an issue?

4) Aside from all of that, if I do decide to just get an extension and not leave, will there be a way to get a 60 tourist visa in Laos (double or single entry, more concerned about the number of days) after the 13th?

I realize with a lot of this stuff it's up to the person I speak with and there's an element of "who knows" but any insight or directness would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

No one knows what will be offered from the 13th onward's.

It is likely single entry (60 day) tourist visas will be available on/after the 13th

If you want a double entry tourist visa best travel sooner.

Leaving things to the last minute is rarely a good idea.

• Like 1

As above or.....

If you only need 2 - 4 months then you could do a 30 day extension in November. In December you could go to Laos and get a single entry tourist visa which will give you 60 days on entry. Then February you can get another 30 day extension taking you to March.

Regardless of other considerations, you probably do not want to apply on November 13 (a Friday) unless you want to spend the weekend in Vientiane, as your passport will be held until Monday. I would suggest arriving in Laos early enough on the 11th to apply the same day. The embassy tends to be very busy on Thursdays and may be especially so on November 12 because of the looming rules changes.

1/ If you only need a single going now or later wont change much as singles TR are here to stay.But for a double its better to go now to Laos as they probably will stop on the 13th.

2/As stated 13th being a friday,you will have to spend the week-end, but also its the day of implementation of METV,so only singles will most probably be available.

3/Yes you can also extend you visa exempt, then get a single TR for 60 days, then extend it for 30 days.

whistling.gif All I can tell you with any certainty is that I received a double entry tourist visa for Vientianne, Laos on the 12th of October.

Nobody can be sure what Vietianne will do after the 13th of November with the new METV being issued.

Based on other reports from European Thai consulates It may be that the METV will ONLY be issued to nationals of That country.

I suspect a single entry tourist visa will also be issued, but quite possibly no more double or triple entry tourist visas.

I also suspect that those of us who already have a valid double entry visa will be able to use that visa, but not be able to get another double entry tourist visa again from Vientianne or anywhere iin Laos. after 13 November.

But we will just have to wait until the matter is made clearer after13 November.

Get a double entry ASAP (if thats the route you want to go).

If the information about dropping the double entry is confirmed and spreads, you might experience a last minute stampede to the consulate.

Gets my vote for best advice. Take a cheap flight to udon thani , chill go to Vientiane in morning (midweek) obtain double entry tv that you pick up following day. Happy days

Get a double entry ASAP (if thats the route you want to go).

If the information about dropping the double entry is confirmed and spreads, you might experience a last minute stampede to the consulate.

I agree about that.

They are supposed to have announced by now that they'll no longer issue a

double-entry TR in Vientiane and Savannakhet, starting on 13 Nov, though.

They might put it off because they might not yet be ready to handle hundreds

of applicants under the new visa rules every day. You never know.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I may be headed to Laos earlier than I expected!

Three questions:

1) Ok ok I know, no way to really know... but what are the realistic chances of a 60 day single entry going away after the Nov 13? It'd be great to just extend now as some people have suggested then get a 60 day after. It would end up being cheaper too cause the flights would be less.

2) Everyone I've read talks about how to get to Vientiane from Chiang Mai, but very little is said about getting back. Would I basically take a flight back from Udon? If so, does anyone know when would be a safe time to book the flight for? There's a 5:45 which seems like the best bet. Thoughts?

3) Just to be sure cause I'm a bit scrambled with different information.. Let's say I fly/travel to Vientiane on Tuesday. I would stay the night there, and on Wednesday go to the embassy, then Thursday I pick up my passport then head back to Chiang Mai. So basically it's 2 nights in Vientiane right?

Thanks y'all.

Just had a friend come back from Savannakhet.

Said it was mad!

Foreigners from everywhere, even down south, getting in before the Visa changes.

Long queues, all farangs, hardly any Laos.

So "Panic" has set in ?

Many were turned away at the counter because in there haste to join the queue they didn't have completed application forms or copies.

They expected to do it at the counter!

Next week could turn out to be a 3 day experience for some.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Looks like I may be headed to Laos earlier than I expected!

Three questions:

1) Ok ok I know, no way to really know... but what are the realistic chances of a 60 day single entry going away after the Nov 13? It'd be great to just extend now as some people have suggested then get a 60 day after. It would end up being cheaper too cause the flights would be less.

2) Everyone I've read talks about how to get to Vientiane from Chiang Mai, but very little is said about getting back. Would I basically take a flight back from Udon? If so, does anyone know when would be a safe time to book the flight for? There's a 5:45 which seems like the best bet. Thoughts?

3) Just to be sure cause I'm a bit scrambled with different information.. Let's say I fly/travel to Vientiane on Tuesday. I would stay the night there, and on Wednesday go to the embassy, then Thursday I pick up my passport then head back to Chiang Mai. So basically it's 2 nights in Vientiane right?

Thanks y'all.

1) I'd say they might no longer issue a 60-day TV with double-entry but

would still do one with single-entry on and after Nov.13.

Just had a friend come back from Savannakhet.

Said it was mad!

Foreigners from everywhere, even down south, getting in before the Visa changes.

Long queues, all farangs, hardly any Laos.

So "Panic" has set in ?

Many were turned away at the counter because in there haste to join the queue they didn't have completed application forms or copies.

They expected to do it at the counter!

Next week could turn out to be a 3 day experience for some.

I'm sure Vientiane has deliberately not made any official announcements about the METV and 2xTR to avoid a stampede, but saying nothing is probably going to have a similar effect. The uncertainty might actually cause more "panic".