Can you extend a visa exemption twice?

I just wanted to check if this is possible as I am currently on an extension of a visa exemption for 30 days.

At the end of this extension can I go to immigration and get a further 30 days?

I expect there must be some limit on doing this...

I just asked this question to the immigration officer here at the Bureau, after she lowered my request of 49 days to 30. She said that then I can only request 7 more days.

I'm personally considering flying to a neighboring country at the end of my stay and try asking for a tourist visa. I should have just done this BEFORE coming to Thailand.

I just asked this question to the immigration officer here at the Bureau, after she lowered my request of 49 days to 30. She said that then I can only request 7 more days.

I'm personally considering flying to a neighboring country at the end of my stay and try asking for a tourist visa. I should have just done this BEFORE coming to Thailand.

There are no 49 day extensions only 30 days can be given.

The 7 days is only given to allow someone time to pack and leave the country.

If more than 60 days are required in Thailand having a visa is a good idea.

If you fly out and back (with a long booked ticket showing your intention to return to home country within a couple of weeks) I am confident you would get another visa exempt entry. Look for a cheap return ticket to somewhere not requiring a visa (such as Kuala Lumphur).

You can still do border runs for a new exempt entry.

Only 4 Cambodia border crossings stopped them for a few weeks. At those crossing you can now do an out/in crossing for one with a limit of 90 days in a calendar year.

Only 4 Cambodia border crossings stopped them for a few weeks. At those crossing you can now do an out/in crossing for one with a limit of 90 days in a calendar year.

Joe

Does this limit include the "exempt" gained on entry and any extension of that entry ?

I did the 7 day extension once a couple of years ago. Just had an odd time coordinating my flight home. Might have been during he Bangkok riot or the airport sit in. I can't remember now. I am not surprised that 7 day extension is probably still available. It doesn't get mentioned much, but before this recent 30 day extension, it was one of the few ways to buy a few more days

Joe

Does this limit include the "exempt" gained on entry and any extension of that entry ?

Extensions are not counted. Only visa exempt entries are counted. But I have been informed it on a case by case basis. I suspect they would not count entries by air. They are just trying to restrict doing a border hop for a new exempt entry.

So is it possible once the extension is over to leave Thailand, come back on an exempt stamp and then extend it again in Thailand?

At land borders 30 day visa exempt entries are only available to those from G7 countries. 15 days for those from other countries.

All visa exempt entries can be extended by 30 days.

It is possible to fly in get an exempt entry then extend it do a border hop for a new entry and then extend it.

Ubon i get 30 day from chiang khong and expire on 25 november , can i aply for 60 day extension right father of thai child , and after wait for new passport ans make new visa in january

It is possible to fly in get an exempt entry then extend it do a border hop for a new entry and then extend it.

Ubon i get 30 day from chiang khong and expire on 25 november , can i aply for 60 day extension right father of thai child , and after wait for new passport ans make new visa in january

You can apply for the 60 day extension. They may not do it until you only have a couple of weeks left on your entry.

You could apply for the new passport before doing the extension and do the extension afterwords in your old passport. I don't think there is any embassy that makes your old passport invalid when you apply for the new one.

Then you can get a visa in January.

You can apply for the 60 day extension. They may not do it until you only have a couple of weeks left on your entry.

You could apply for the new passport before doing the extension and do the extension afterwords in your old passport. I don't think there is any embassy that makes your old passport invalid when you apply for the new one.

Then you can get a visa in January.

thank you , what date you think is good to go ?

"She said that then I can only request 7 more days. "

Technically that's not an extension. You apply for an extension. Your request would be denied and you would be given 7 days to clear out.

Sorry to barge in on your post. I think my query is relevant to your question and I could do with an answer.

About 5 months ago I went to Immigration CW to get a 60 day extension based on my children, I did not have the right page of the blue book and they siad they could not give me 60 days but said I could have 30 days and then return to get 60 days with the right document.. Which I did. So in this case I was given 2 extensions on a visa exemption.

My question is that im wondering if I can do the same again, I am on a 60 day extension of a visa exemption stamp and want to extend it for another 30 days?? (Like I did 5 months ago (2 extensions amounting to 90 days on a exemption stamp)

I will be going to immigration tomorrow anyway to find out, I am getting married to a Thai next week and only have 20 days left on my entry (I need minimum 21 apparently)

Advice much appreciated.

Edited by bmattey40844

Sorry to barge in on your post. I think my query is relevant to your question and I could do with an answer.

About 5 months ago I went to Immigration CW to get a 60 day extension based on my children, I did not have the right page of the blue book and they siad they could not give me 60 days but said I could have 30 days and then return to get 60 days with the right document.. Which I did. So in this case I was given 2 extensions on a visa exemption.

My question is that im wondering if I can do the same again, I am on a 60 day extension of a visa exemption stamp and want to extend it for another 30 days?? (Like I did 5 months ago (2 extensions amounting to 90 days on a exemption stamp)

I will be going to immigration tomorrow anyway to find out, I am getting married to a Thai next week and only have 20 days left on my entry (I need minimum 21 apparently)

Advice much appreciated.

I think the best you can expect is a 7 day extension.

• 1 year later...

I arrived in Thailand on Oct 6 and got a tourist visa until Nov. 4. I am a US Citizen and extended my stay 30 days until Dec. 4. I have a flight that leaves on Dec 18th from BKK.  

What are my options?

Make a border run via land?

Make a border run via flight?

Leave the country and come back to BKK on the 18th?

If I choose a border run, will I be sure that I can get 15 more days to stay in Thailand if I show them I have a flight for the 18th of Dec?

Anyone know?  All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

16 minutes ago, chrispreynolds said:

I arrived in Thailand on Oct 6 and got a tourist visa until Nov. 4. I am a US Citizen and extended my stay 30 days until Dec. 4. I have a flight that leaves on Dec 18th from BKK.  

What are my options?

Make a border run via land?

Make a border run via flight?

Leave the country and come back to BKK on the 18th?

If I choose a border run, will I be sure that I can get 15 more days to stay in Thailand if I show them I have a flight for the 18th of Dec?

Anyone know?  All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

You did not get a tourist visa on entry to the county you got a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You could make a border run or fly out and back to get new 30 day visa exempt entry.

You will get a 30 day entry by land or air since you are the US (G7 country rule for border crossings).

You will not be asked for a ticket out at a border crossing by air the airline might want to see your ticket out within 30 days of arrival.

I'm in a similar situation, after working for ten years I decided to jack the job in so left Thailand and came back in for 30 days which I extended for another 30 days. I am leaving for a trip to Laos tomorrow, I have a flight back to the UK in 3 weeks time, do you think I'll be allowed back in for 3 weeks? I heard that I can obtain a tourist visa in Laos but it would obviously hamper my travel plans there. Any input is welcome.

4 minutes ago, Suttisan said:

I'm in a similar situation, after working for ten years I decided to jack the job in so left Thailand and came back in for 30 days which I extended for another 30 days. I am leaving for a trip to Laos tomorrow, I have a flight back to the UK in 3 weeks time, do you think I'll be allowed back in for 3 weeks? I heard that I can obtain a tourist visa in Laos but it would obviously hamper my travel plans there. Any input is welcome.

You will not have a problem getting another visa exempt entry since it will only be your 2nd one. If you are from the UK you will get a 30 day entry at a border crossing.

• 2 months later...

If I have extended a 60 day SETV by 30 days already can I get a further 7 days? Plus are there any medical grounds as I 'lost' 10 days due hospitalisation and also the 7 day extension is required to facilitate an application for a 1 year visa (15 day before permission ends rule)

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, thecolonel said:

If I have extended a 60 day SETV by 30 days already can I get a further 7 days? Plus are there any medical grounds as I 'lost' 10 days due hospitalisation and also the 7 day extension is required to facilitate an application for a 1 year visa (15 day before permission ends rule)

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

You can apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

Where do you plan on applying for a one year visa. Immigration only issues 90 day non immigrant visa entries based upon qualifying for an extension of stay of some kind. You would  need 15 days remaining on your entry or a valid extension of it. They would not accept the 7 days to leave the country as part of the 15 days.