Self employed work permit?

If you have good qualification will be easier to get into a SPA or Yoga Retreat first...before looking in start by your self. Also that's the way to creates your own clientele.....Research first is the key to succeed....

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2

I hate to be negative but, bwpage3 is right. Aerial or Fly yoga is nothing new in Bangkok or Thailand. I practice yoga most days here in Bangkok and know many people in the business, if you could roll back the clock ten years you might have a chance. Today the yoga business in Bangkok is brutal and your competition is rich kids with nothing better to do with there parents money than indulge in there fantasies. If your are planing on setting up shop outside of Bangkok you may have better luck just not somewhere like Koh Phangan, Koh Tao or Koh Samui which is also saturated with yoga. As for getting a job, minimum wage for people from most western countries is 50,000-60,000 a month. You will not likely find a studio, retreat, or teacher training center that will pay you that much. Which means working illegally(no work permit) last time I looked the fine was 1,000,000 Baht or 5 years in prison or both, not easy to sleep at night with that hanging over your head.

• Like 2

I hate to be negative but, bwpage3 is right. Aerial or Fly yoga is nothing new in Bangkok or Thailand. I practice yoga most days here in Bangkok and know many people in the business, if you could roll back the clock ten years you might have a chance. Today the yoga business in Bangkok is brutal and your competition is rich kids with nothing better to do with there parents money than indulge in there fantasies. If your are planing on setting up shop outside of Bangkok you may have better luck just not somewhere like Koh Phangan, Koh Tao or Koh Samui which is also saturated with yoga. As for getting a job, minimum wage for people from most western countries is 50,000-60,000 a month. You will not likely find a studio, retreat, or teacher training center that will pay you that much. Which means working illegally(no work permit) last time I looked the fine was 1,000,000 Baht or 5 years in prison or both, not easy to sleep at night with that hanging over your head.

Just curious: what visa/extension do you have that lets you stay in Thailand and practice yoga every day?

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you are 'setting up' your school in a legal manner you should have the ability to work. You are actually forming the core of the business. If you open a school without proper business registration you are running some serious risks.

Scottishsaphire,

Yes and no to the above posters advice.

It makes no difference if local teachers can't speak English fluently and have little experience or skill with an expat market if that is what you are targeting.

When I learned yoga as a boy a long time ago there were no special styles of yoga that were well know or of any concern to normal yoga students also it was very rare that yoga teachers actually made a living. Basically it was free or donation based.

Maybe what you teach is special, or maybe special but not in demand, but in the end if you are an excellent teacher you may do well.

I really know nothing about the business of yoga but I do know about business in Thailand and if you already are a good businessperson doing business in Thailand is not a problem. Work Permits etc is just paperwork that you need to budget for and do correctly - don't play around with visas and work permits that are not 100% correct.

Perhaps you can be creative and come up with special vegetarian cafes that are healthy and taste good, to go with your yoga studios - this is very rare in Thailand. I am not making a suggestion just pointing out that the challenge is not doing business in Thailand but a lack of creativity and business skills - and doing business in Thailand.

Many if not most of the expats who complain have limited business skills and like to blame Thailand for their problems.

• Like 1

Two ideas for the OP:

(IDEA 1)

You arrange the location and pay the rent, then sub-lease to the school. Start a legal Thai company, keep only minority ownership for yourself. Bookkeeper reports to you

Get Thai people you trust for majority ownership. (Perhaps wives of expats you know.)

Imprint the business with your name and personality. so it's harder for anyone to take the business from you once it's going. Be the chief employee of the business.

Your contract says that you collect rent plus a gross wage consisting of 100 percent of earnings from your classes, after rent is paid.

Let the company hire local Thais to do some other classes (zumba, meditation, whatever), so that requirement for a minimum number of Thai employees is met. Profits of school are based on the earnings of the other teachers, not you. In return for this juicy setup, company pays for bookkeeper/receptionist/assistant.

Now go get a work permit and start promoting classes and teaching.

I'm not sure what kind of visa you could get though. Might be stuck with visa runs or border bounces like the rest of us?

The whole thing sounds hard.

(IDEA 2)

Relocate to Cambodia, where expats are allowed to own a business outright. The work permit may still be an issue. But you can control the company, no games. And, the visa is easy, full year stay.

I'm from India. Yoga was never about money. Its understandable though why we need money to run yoga in Thailand.

Yoga is never about profit and loss, these are western corporate concepts attached to Yoga.

You do Yoga the RIGHT way. People will come even from America. Yoga creates an Aura around you, which will attract all the needs you have. The money, location, people will come. Patanjali, the creator of Yoga started with ZERO money, so did BKS Iyenger etc

India being a third world country with less money spread Yoga all over the world. Money, failure has nothing to do with Yoga. It may sound non practical or idealistic thought, however, You loose nothing with Yoga, You will be healthy anyways.

Thai's are not stupid. I even say that Thailand is more spiritual than India. Indians have lost the way while Thailand still has spirituality and I also say that western people are the best practitioners, teachers of Yoga.

Even being an Indian. I prefer a western teacher over an Indian myself. You guys go deeper and do it with all your heart and passion. You guys have figured out Yoga than many Indian teachers.

I would suggest you could add Ayurvedic knowledge to purify the body more with Tulsi etc...which would be an added incentive.

You already got one student. let me know when and where you will start. I will try to come and check it out :)

• Like 2

Might be stuck with visa runs or border bounces like the rest of us?

The rest of us?

Speak for yourself, mate. Some of us are here legitimately.

Yes, I probably should have made that "like the rest of us struggling vagabonds", to set myself and others apart from fine retired gentlemen like yourself.

Sorry for the confusion.

Might be stuck with visa runs or border bounces like the rest of us?

The rest of us?

Speak for yourself, mate. Some of us are here legitimately.

Yes, I probably should have made that "like the rest of us struggling vagabonds", to set myself and others apart from fine retired gentlemen like yourself.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not retired.

• Like 1

The going rate is around 300-400bht

A days money for a lot of people...see were I am going with this ?...the place may be not as big a you thinks it is...

300-400 baht – depends whom OP wish to target with the Yoga Studio: local village Thais up Isaan; or middle class Thais and/or audience in a tourist destination, where 300-400 baht may be cheap.
I’ve see a number foreigners opening yoga studios or classes in tourist areas where I stay – however, some also give up and close for unknown reasons, that may be other than business only – and a number of them seem to survive for long time.
Normally you will need to establish a Thai company limited to open a business as “self employed”. As another poster mentioned, the possibility of “employment” (for example on commission base) by an establish company – which can be a health & spa resort – may be a lot easier.
My best advice is to spent some time in Thailand and visits various areas of interest and check local possibilities – probably some at the destinations already known for health & spa etc. may be a first option...
I wish OP good luck. smile.png
  • Like 2

Quote: "fine was 1,000,000 Baht or 5 years in prison or both"

If correct, this could be of interest for quite a few Farangs here.

Cheers.

The going rate is around 300-400bht

A days money for a lot of people...see were I am going with this ?...the place may be not as big a you thinks it is...

And in Bangkok there more than enough people who would pay 300-400 baht per session.

The place isn't as small as you think it is.