Gilbey's Gin - What's Happened?

AyG

When it comes to gin, I'm not prepared to pay the ludicrous prices for the like of Hendricks or Tanqueray 10 here, so I settle for Gilbey's. However, when I went to my local TOPS this morning I noticed that all the bottles had two white stickers on them covering up parts of the label, namely the parts that read "Special Dry" and "A delicate blend of 12 natural ingredients giving a smooth, refreshing taste with a hint of citrus".

Is this some new edict from the junta which prohibits anything which suggests that alcoholic drinks may be special and refreshing? Or has Gilbey's changed the blend so there are now only 11 natural ingredients?

What's happened? Is there some rational explanation?

I'd also be worried about the import source decanting and substituting your fine grain alcohol for something a bit cheaper.

I wonder if 'water' would constitute a 12th natural ingredient?

Or, maybe they'd do the same they do with 'wine' and mix it with a fruit juice ...maybe more juniper berries.

yew talkin' about the blue/white label Gilbeys gin a sister to the vodka with the same label, distilled and bottled in Thailand? I never seen what it is that yer talkin' about...

that's maybe because I don't notice, just crack open the vodka bottle in haste to make meself a drink wid juice and soda...

and lets not be too hasty to blame the 'government'...they's just human like de rest of us...in a subhuman (i.e., lower species) sorta way...

(dere goes 'ol Prof Naam givin' de mob de high hat again...)

ye gots to realise that before locally bottled Gilbeys was available at 320 per 70cl there was only Smirnoff and Absolut at 600-800 per...

now you knows I never means to be disrespectful, Prof Naam, but those of us that can only afford 2 A/C units in our humble, sparcely furnished abodes needs our cheap vodka...we gots to get all blotto on a daily basis in order to endure our harsh and dirty existences...and at 2 boddils per day the cost useta be prohibitive...

and yer right...at the cheap price, Gilbeys on a cl measure basis is probably cheaper for the deterrent purposes that you describe...

I useta be able to drink Tanquerray neat...the only gin that I could stomach...but the always ubiquitous vodka is always more handy and much cheaper...

I haveta admit that I can't take much of the local Gilbeys gin (I can't mix with tonic 'cause ob de sugar and gin doesn't mix well with much else) and I haveta be careful when an unaware individual is selected to run down to the market to buy vodka as the labels are same...

('ye see? GIN has three characters...VODKA, five characters...' etc)

yeah...'pink gin' but unfortunately bitters (and tonic, for that matter) cannot be obtained outside of falang areas...

soda is everywhere as we all know...I can make due with just soda and a squeeze of manao inna pinch...

I found meself a few years back in Philadelphia in a 'deprived area' near Drexel University where even fruit juices were hard to find...but there was loads of Dr. Pepper and the cheapest vodka I've ever seen...

try it with de voddy sometime...a unique american, inner city, cocktail preparation adventure...

yeah...back in Jakarta in the early 90s where I had 'duty free' liquor privileges the Tanqerray was cheap as chips...and a bottle of Angostura bitters did last a good while; I preferred it over tonic (I didn't have diabetes then)...

I should prbably get some to have on hand when someone makes a mistake at the shop and turns up with a bottle of Gilbeys gin instead of the vodka...

tutsi ends up with a bottle of Gilbeys gin after the expected confusion with the identical labels and is brutally interrupted from his internet thaivisa reverie by having to go back to the 7-11 for an exchange or a refund...

'hello, I need to exchange this or get a refund as there has been a mistake...'

'mai dai'

'but you don't understand, I don't have the proper mixers for this gin...and I have diabetes and heart trouble have to be careful and etc...'

'mai dai'

tutsi is reduced to tears and gives up and drags his arse outta the shop...it's late and there won't be another opportunity to buy vodka until 11am the next morning...

the shop girls confer: 'dem falangs sure is clazy...'

off topic... visited early this year an old friend who lives in Cochabamba and thought of Tutsi who mentioned this place several times in other threads. no idea whether Gilbey's was available but delicious Chilean wines all over.

^^in CBBA the national vodka is brand named 'Xaar'...the local Taquina beer is also top notch, the best that I've had anywhere...

this was 30 years ago when I still had hangovers...you don't ever wanna have a hangover at that altitude (~3500 meters), it's like slow death...as a matter of fact, death is preferable...the only thing for it is to start drinkin' at breakfast...

salud, Prof...

Archived