Being broke/cheap/thrifty/- economizing on water

Craig krup

I know of a guy who tried to save on water but at the other end,he would not allow his gf to flush the toilet in other to save water(money)

I do not know if he was cheap/broke or just an idiot.

I bet he even hangs her used toilet rolls out to dry. Really! these Scotsmen.

He'd probably use a tea bag three times, but doesn't because of the cost of the extra cup of water.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the water vending machines are OK if (and it's a big if) they are serviced regularly and correctly. Most people in Thailand would agree that maintenance is not a strong point here, and I am one of them.

So I have now switched to having the big 20l blue water bottles delivered for 40B (50B with tip). All round this seems like the most reliable, simple and cheap option to me.

And you are sure about the quality of those? Who makes sure they contain what they are supposed to?

No, I'm not sure. What I do know is that the water in the big containers tastes a lot better than the water that came out of our vending machines. It only costs about double what the vending machines cost, and it's delivered in large containers which means I dont have to keep going downstairs to fill them every couple of days. So, all in all, it's a big improvement for little extra cost.

For what it's worth I wouldn't particularly trust the water bought in small bottles either, or indeed anything much that's made in Thailand. Scams and corner-cutting are both endemic here.

I know of a guy who tried to save on water but at the other end,he would not allow his gf to flush the toilet in other to save water(money)

He'd probably use a tea bag three times, but doesn't because of the cost of the extra cup of water.

No, I only use a teabag twice.

Water machines near me are 0.5bht/l.

I never pay more.

well it may taste ok but the " heavy metals" are still there . in time could give you problems if you have a predisposition to any illness caused by heavy metals . they use cheap single stage filters that are used too long . if you can find a machine that is serviced on schedule then you still must boil the water to remove any micro bugs . the problem as I see it , if you have to pinch penny's or you cannot afford drinking water ....ehhhh you should just go home .

Water machines near me are 0.5bht/l.

I never pay more.

well it may taste ok but the " heavy metals" are still there . in time could give you problems if you have a predisposition to any illness caused by heavy metals . they use cheap single stage filters that are used too long . if you can find a machine that is serviced on schedule then you still must boil the water to remove any micro bugs . the problem as I see it , if you have to pinch penny's or you cannot afford drinking water ....ehhhh you should just go home .
That depends on what company brand machine you're using. They are not all the same. The machine at my place uses reverse osmosis for purifying.

Thank you bazza40. Also to louse1953. I was bought up on that philosophy. Every drop counts and recycling and conservation of water will help mitigate the disaster that appears imminent. I am in the process of diverting shower water onto the plants that are in my yard. Most Thais have no concept, most do not realise that water is limited and precious.

All my grey water goes to the garden.A few years ago in Oz people showered with buckets under them,so they could water the pot plants.It makes me cringe when i see people here wash the path,because they are too lazy to sweep.It is a crime in Oz.

Craig krup. Thanks for something positive. I was in Aust infantry. (never saw combat) During exercises in the outback we also had the tablets and a carbon water filter. But I was always told that chlorine tablets are lethal if used for a long time. The other option, carbon filtering is expensive Now in Thailand, I would love to see a solution to the problem. In addition to bacteria, perhaps it is the natural chemicals in the ground. All I know is that it is me a farang that suffers from the water, the Thais seem immune.

I don't like one tablet per liter - swimming pool, and it has to upset your gut flora - but there's a low dose in normal tap water, so pretty much everyone is drinking that amount. When I get a minute I'll work out what one steri-tab does per litre to work out what a western water company would put into questionable water. It's probably something like one tablet per bath full. You might end up having to i) dissolve one in a liter, and then ii) use a third of that in five liters.

But yeah, one in a water bottle is horrendous.

Water Machine did me fine for years.

To make the water taste better buy a "Brita" water container. They have a filter in it but also activated carbon, which makes the water taste better. They are quite cheap. Filter needs replacement every couple of years, which are cheap and also easy to change. .

i drink tap water , cook and clean with tap water and im still here .

Many people with low immune systems who cannot do tap/reverse osmosis water.

The 30 year old Thai model dumped you already huh?

i got to keep busy while shes out making 70000 baht at work.

Wow..is that 70000baht a day!!!

I bet she has trouble walking after a day like that.

Sounds like a keeper...hardworking girl like that.

Chuck in Dads 25 bucks a week and you're on easy street. thumbsup.gif

Never have to worry about the price of water again.

Edited by Mudcrab

Water Machine did me fine for years.

To make the water taste better buy a "Brita" water container. They have a filter in it but also activated carbon, which makes the water taste better. They are quite cheap. Filter needs replacement every couple of years, which are cheap and also easy to change. .

True. Activated carbon will pull out heavy metals if you are worried about them, and also any fugitive organics which impart a bad taste.

Human taste receptors on the tongue are incredibly sensitive - there is one chlorinated phenol compound which can be detected as a mouldy taste at a level of 0.1 parts per billion in water.

If you can do it, nothing beats rainwater collected off your own roof for taste.

Chlorine will work with bacteria and viruses. It will not work with oocytes such as giardia....

Had it in Morocco many years ago. God it was horrendous. Travelling on a bus with a bacterial civilisation establishing itself in my guts. By the end of it I could have broken carrots with my sphincters.

No, I only use a teabag twice.

Yeah, the cost of the water for the third cup.

I became severely ill on the two occasions that I drank deep water well in the villiage that I live in. Being a bit dumb, I did dot think to boil this water. After seeing my two stage exit of all bodily fluids at the same time, my family only drinks bottled water now. Costing me a small fortune. So is there a small chlorine tablet available in Thailand that kills all bacteria and viruses and the chlorine and can be dispelled by leaving it in a fridge for a period of time?

A pharmacy should have them, although I've not tried. Dirt cheap through Amazon, British army ration packs contained massive strips of them and they're powerful: designed to work with manky cold water in no time, so warm non-turbid water and some time I reckon one tablet in 5 litres would probably be okay. I doubt you'd get it out, but then you quickly can't taste it. People who drink chlorinated water think that non-chlorinated water tastes funny.

Chlorine will work with bacteria and viruses. It will not work with oocytes such as giardia or cryptosporidia, these organisms survive chlorination, which is why America with extensive chlorination is one of the countries where giardia is endemic.

The best possible form of disinfection is by boiling water. Nothing survives that, and you get the added bonus that chlorine and chloramines are distilled off in the boiling process.

does boiling get rid of metals like mercury?

The best possible form of disinfection is by boiling water. Nothing survives that, and you get the added bonus that chlorine and chloramines are distilled off in the boiling process.

does boiling get rid of metals like mercury?

Yes and no - it depends on what form the mercury is in.

You have more than one??? Very unusual indeed!

Chlorine will work with bacteria and viruses. It will not work with oocytes such as giardia....

Had it in Morocco many years ago. God it was horrendous. Travelling on a bus with a bacterial civilisation establishing itself in my guts. By the end of it I could have broken carrots with my sphincters.

he was most probably all of the above bah.gif

On the contrary, we have about 60 sphincters, including 2 of the anal variety.

bet you are great to talk to at networking events...."I say did you know that there are over 60...blahblahblah....in the human body blahblah blah" You might be useful at a quiz night though!

On the contrary, we have about 60 sphincters, including 2 of the anal variety.

Bet you are great to talk to full stop.

bet you are great to talk to at networking events...."I say did you know that there are over 60...blahblahblah....in the human body blahblah blah" You might be useful at a quiz night though!

Option 5 c............Spend 150k on 2 deep water 85 metre wells , get the water tested and approved as excellent and then have unlimited water for life..........need electricity to pump it out though.............I dont drink waterlaugh.pngi

Maybe after drinking the water from his well he might try to drink his own piss. I heard it's good for you.rolleyes.gif