Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is about Hua Hin. Stop making the headline sound as if it is for the whole country!

People are getting fined all over the country for not submitting a TM30 when the foreigner moves in. Many didn't even know they had to do it.

Hua Hin are doing the right thing and telling people.

Talking of 'didn't know': I also did not know that I had to register at the local police station (in addition to doing my 90 day etc). My local police man sent me to the big police station but they all referred me to Immigration. I tried to explain that it is a requirement to register, they were glad when I left.

This 'new' (existing) requirement? Same thing?

No. I don't think this rule is the same thing. The rule being talked about in the OP is just for "owners" to report that a foreigner is staying at their address.

Foreigners are supposed to report to the local police when they move in but that law (so far) isn't enforced.

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

Yep I had to get a receipt to stamp in my passport too. And provide a copy of my rental contract with my name to my school (for them to send to BKK to extend ED Visa). Told that without this I would not get a 3-month extension on my ED Visa.

"

ALL RESIDENTS RETURNING TO HUA HIN MUST REPORT TO THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE

WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

Does this mean that people who live in Hua Hin and are returning from an overseas trip also have to report themselves to the Immigration Office each time they come back from abroad?!?"

YES, HuA HIN Immigration started this same BS a few years ago. They were fining people who had come into the country via an airport, filled out the arrival card, been stamped into the country and later turned up on time at HH for 90 day reporting. They said they should report to HH Immigration within 24 hours and being logged into Immig computer at the airport didn't count. Folk were asking what happened if they stayed a few days in BKK or went to CM for a few days before returning home.....no excuse, this is the rules, pay the fine.

Far as I remember it was only Hua Hn office and the fuss seemed to die down. Perhaps they need more money with christmas coming on?

this is nothing new every property owner has a duty to report guests on their premises everyone must be processed according to the law .

yes that happens regularly at my condo BUT does the tenant have an additional responsibility to report on top of the JPM? and the owners too? JPM's report regularly already

DOne the reporting in Phang Khon (Sakon Nakhon) and after 3 days I finally got the call from the nice chap in brown to come over to pick up my copy of the form. When I asked him why it took so long he told me, big boss that is only able to sign was on a seminar in Bangkok for two days so nobody dared to sign the document.

Imagine what a chaos if everybody would follow and apply this rule.

its a good point, why dont we all do it, every time you are away for 24 hours go an repot. Perhaps the overwhelming amount of visitors and paperwork will mean that they change the stupid law. I am ok for informing of change of address and the 90 day reporting takes minutes now with the scanning so I can live with it, that should be enough..

Imagine what a chaos if everybody would follow and apply this rule.

Exactly Boatfrek...what a nonsense system...

.....as an actual example...I have just finished two weeks holiday ( I am resident in Bangkok)

I spent time in 4 places staying with friends...Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Korat...thats 4 forms that should have been filled out....no hang on 5....because applying the "rule" I or my apartment owner should have completed another form when I returned to my permanent residence being an apartment complex in Bangkok.

As it was my apartment owner was completely unaware that I had even left for my holiday....

Amazing Thailand....Hub of senseless useless form filling

Though these laws were already in place, I believe the impetus of stepping up their enforcement was the bombing... the country having no idea who and where these terrorist were living and no/incorrect records in immigration to aid in their search. If they all would of left immediately, they probably would of gotten away with it. (if indeed these were the perps)

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

More Thai people should be like your wife. thumbsup.gif This reporting and fine threat is really annoying, when we have been staying at the same place and have reported our address, when entering the country, when extending our visa and when reporting the address every 90 days.

Is this being done so they can keep track of people entering and leaving ?

Or more for the reason i think that they are trying to catch out landlords not paying taxes on rented out property.

Then they can fine them for not notifying about someone staying in a property and then they can find out how much the tennant is paying to stay and if the owner is paying tax on this.

It's all about keeping track of where a foreigner is living and nothing new.

The immigration act was written in 1979. At that time most visitors stayed in hotels/guest houses that have always had to tell immigration about their guests so immigration can keep track. These days many of us stay in private homes etc. The rules still apply to home owners although most don't know about it. All thats happening is that they are informing home owners of what they should already be doing.

The worst case for not reporting a foreigner is 2,000 baht but most offices seem to be charging 800 baht.

Why would immigration be interested in landlords not paying taxes!

Edited by elviajero

If only such reporting can be done online...

Computers are mere paperweights at Thai immigration.

Why would you say such a thing? They have very sophisticated IT systems, that's why I don't understand why they even bother with the TM.6 card.

Now, that they want to know who stays where at what time is not unique to Thailand.

This is a bit confusing. So if my daughter comes to visit for 4 days and visit her parents for 4-5 days, one of those precious days should be spent in going to immigration. My husband and I own our house in Hua Hin, and actually will discard this ridiculous idea, I guess to our own peril if someone decides to report us.

Why not go the whole hog and install a fingerprint reader at every home address and hotel & scan visitors prints on arrival at swampy or install a GPS tracker in passports and I'd cards to track everyone. Big brother is watching us.

What's the case if you live here and go visit another town and stay at a hotel. They report you being there ok..but when you go back home to your place of residence in Thailand which I reported when I arrived at airport, do you have any obligation to tell immigration the fact your back there ?

I have been living in Thailand for 2 years on an extension to stay - retirement. In Late Aug 2015 I took a trip back " home " to Australia and returned to Thailand first week in Oct 2105.

Having read a few posts about this here on TVF ............I informed the gf that I needed to report to Immigration that I was now ( again) living at her home .

went to Udon Thani Imm Office and was told .......................not necessary as I had returned to the same address as they had on record ( also address put on arrivals card).

However they did do a 90 day report for me --------THIS ONE DAY AFTER RETURNING TO THE KINGDOM. Seems that as my old 90 day report " would have been due on this same day".....

The Imm officer decided ( without being asked ) to do a 90 day report .

"

ALL RESIDENTS RETURNING TO HUA HIN MUST REPORT TO THE LOCAL IMMIGRATION OFFICE

WITHIN 24hrs OF ARRIVAL

Does this mean that people who live in Hua Hin and are returning from an overseas trip also have to report themselves to the Immigration Office each time they come back from abroad?!?"

To me this suggests it's not only people returning from abroad but also people who've gone away for more than 24 hours (to the village, visit friends or holidays etc) will have to report their return home to their main residence at their local immigration office.

I'm married to a Thai and I've lived in Thailand for over eleven years now, seven at our present address.

I've counted my 'trips' away from home of more than 24 hours this year. So far I've had:

one wedding in Roi Et

two funerals, one in Korat and one in Buriram

one visit to friends in Sisaket

four weekends at the in laws (Korat)

two weekends at the sister in law's (Bangkok)

Two long weekends away in hotels

That's twelve trips so far and inter-dispersed with them are five trips to local immigration for one retirement extension and four 90 day reports.

So if I'd had to report each return home as well that would be reporting my home address to immigration seventeen times in less than ten months.

On top of that, assuming the reports were completed and signed by the correct person the bride would have to take time out from her wedding to record my stay. The widow (at one) and parents of their dead son (at the other) would have to record my attendance at the funerals. I can get round the visits to the in laws by stopping at the parents one night and the brother in laws the second night. then I'm not at one householders for more than 24 hours.

And on the hotel stays in Rayong my wife checked us in and neither hotel asked for my details.

But, if everything was done correctly, to the letter of the law, there would be a record of 29 addresses where I've stayed this year.

Is this being done so they can keep track of people entering and leaving ?

Or more for the reason i think that they are trying to catch out landlords not paying taxes on rented out property.

Then they can fine them for not notifying about someone staying in a property and then they can find out how much the tennant is paying to stay and if the owner is paying tax on this.

It's all about keeping track of where a foreigner is living and nothing new.

The immigration act was written in 1979. At that time most visitors stayed in hotels/guest houses that have always had to tell immigration about their guests so immigration can keep track. These days many of us stay in private homes etc. The rules still apply to home owners although most don't know about it. All thats happening is that they are informing home owners of what they should already be doing.

The worst case for not reporting a foreigner is 2,000 baht but most offices seem to be charging 800 baht.

Why would immigration be interested in landlords not paying taxes!

I have stayed several times in rural hotels / resorts and handed over my passport on arrival only to be told by staff they didn't need it as I have stayed with them previously even though they never noted my details on the previous visits.

Though these laws were already in place, I believe the impetus of stepping up their enforcement was the bombing... the country having no idea who and where these terrorist were living and no/incorrect records in immigration to aid in their search. If they all would of left immediately, they probably would of gotten away with it. (if indeed these were the perps)

Do they really think that a foreigner with intentions of planting a bomb, who enters the country off the record by bribing an immigration official at the border, would then comply with the reporting requirement once inside the country? The law-abiding foreigners are the ones who will comply (if they are even aware of the requirement). But enforcement is so inconsistent that it would be easy enough for a terrorist to get around this policy, even without bribery of a local official, homeowner, or guest house owner.

OK, it's the law. OK, householders MAY be fined for not reporting. BUT - if a tree falls in the forest, and no-one hears the sound, has the tree actually fallen?

It beggars belief that immigration officials sitting in nice air-conditioned offices would actually get off their butts and run checks in remote villages.

What's the case if you live here and go visit another town and stay at a hotel. They report you being there ok..but when you go back home to your place of residence in Thailand which I reported when I arrived at airport, do you have any obligation to tell immigration the fact your back there ?

You really need to ask your own Immigration office how they interpret and enforce the laws of Chapter 4 (Temporary Stay in the Kingdom) of the Immigration Act.

I asked mine some time ago and they told me that a TM28 only had to be filed if you changed your permanent address as registered on their system.

Not if you spend a few days in temporary accommodation in Pattaya for a holiday.

The hotelier or house master though should file a TM30 to advise Immigration of your presence, albeit temporary.

If you leave the Country though, they deem you have left your permanent residence, but provided you put the same address on your TM6 then that is your only requirement. The house master though should file a TM30 to notify you have taken up residence again.

If only such reporting can be done online...

Computers are mere paperweights at Thai immigration.

Why would you say such a thing? They have very sophisticated IT systems, that's why I don't understand why they even bother with the TM.6 card.

Now, that they want to know who stays where at what time is not unique to Thailand.

That is why it's so baffling. If those IT systems are so sophisticated, why do I have to sign off on 4 pieces of paper to do a 90 day report? ( Through an agent). What do they do with those pieces of paper?

I sometimes feel the paper industry worldwide would go into recession without Thailand.

Why don't they just ask our mobile numbers (they have mine allready) and email-address (they also have it) and follow me by their big single gateway?

And what if you can't write or read (english)? Do they have those forms in other languages as well?

At the embassy i've seen several people who couldn't read at all, don't know how they can live here but they can.