Taking a folding bike on a baht bus?

Hal65

I know this is a shot in the dark but I'm thinking of getting a folding bike, but only if I can take in on the baht buses. They fold down small and are wider than a Thai but about the same as a heavy farang.

Has anyone seen someone take such a bike on a baht bus?

I don't think I have but I see no reason why you couldn't carry that on. People carry on big loads of luggage all the time. Baby strollers for example, very big. Often Thai vendors carry on long product displays that they place in front of several riders. Nobody says a word. The only issue might be at one of the queues where one of the queue Nazis might suggest you pay more, but I doubt that would even happen. You couldn't take up a new seat of course, if crowded, but you could block people by putting it in the middle of the two rails, just as for luggage.

Edited by Jingthing

I have taken a full sized bicycle on board and was charged 20 baht total.

The bike was an inconvenience to the other passengers if their clothes touched the dirty bike.

I had a flat popped tire so I had no other choice to get all the way down to the shop on Soi Sawang Fa in Naklua.

That doesn't surprise me for a full sized bike. I guess the folded bike is more of grey area as far as drivers trying to charge more but I don't see a big problem with being allowed to board most any bus. Obviously if the bus is brimming out the back, wait for the next one.

Yeah it will be ok I have a seen chickens on there before

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That reminds me of a story in San Francisco.

A Vietnamese lady tried to board the bus with live chickens. She was told no live chickens allowed on the bus so she wrung their necks right there on the bus steps.

No problemo...sometimes you get a carry bag with a folding bike, if in doubt use it. Oddly enough there seems to be a problem

taking pushbikes on the BKK-Pluakdeng train, but not on it's return journey.

Little bit of unasked for advice, pay as much as you can for one.

Yes, and check the weight capacity if you're a big guy. Most only carry to around 80kg

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

No problemo...sometimes you get a carry bag with a folding bike, if in doubt use it. Oddly enough there seems to be a problem

taking pushbikes on the BKK-Pluakdeng train, but not on it's return journey.

Little bit of unasked for advice, pay as much as you can for one.

Yes, and check the weight capacity if you're a big guy. Most only carry to around 80kg

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I have two, a cheap (Baht 10,000) Dahon which weighs...god knows, and carries me 100 kg and Passenger 20 Kg + shopping, and an even cheaper (baht 4500) and ultralight one from Lotus, which I hardly use, but it does seem fragile.

I would have liked a "Bike Friday", enormously popular in BKK...but.....

Edited by DisparateDan

Excellent answer, or if he really wants the exercise, we could tow the baht bus with a rope, while riding the bike and make a bit of pocket change at the same time, while being eco-friendly and saving the planet from global warming...it's a 3 for 1 special!

Op

you could try something a bit radical.

Ride the bike to the destination. facepalm.gif

Edited by blomarel