Caring for a bicyble in high humidity

Hal65

If you've figured out how to ride a bike, isn't it about time you figured out how to care for it ?

Just wondering.

What about changing a PF30 BB? Tools on-hand? Di2 issues? Dishing a wheel? I joke, but there is WAY more to maintaining a bike than most imagine.

you say high humidity, so let's talk rust. you will have ZERO rust issues for the next decade if you do nothing. But, humidity or not, clean your chain with a cloth and even brush/soap about 2x a month. Put on chain lube after chain dry... overnight to dry is fine.

sure, check spoke tension and headset if loose, but i wouldn't worry..

if you want, dry the brake pads after it rains....dry the rim with a cloth...stuff like that...

if worried about something in particular, let me know

If you live by the sea and get salt water on the bike, wash the sea water off to prevent rusting of steel parts.

My previous front derailleur rusted, I think due to skimping on quality, but also from sweat dripping on it - the chap in the shop recommended just hosing it down after a ride. Anyway, the new front derailleur is showing no sign of corrosion. I like to hose the bike down as soon as I get home if it gets covered in clay or possible concrete muck

SC

Humidity poses less of a threat to the mechanical condition of your bike than to you as rider. Anything soft and porous that will abosrb moisture, like grips, saddle, helmet lining and strap, backpack, can breed tons of nasty bacteria.

Change all your nasty plated bolts to Ti or stainless. Just be careful with the high stress areas.

When I'm too cheap for that, I give the bolt heads a small squirt with WD40 after each wash.

Inspect and clean bearings regularly.

Hygroscopic brake fluid needs more regular maintenance.

I don't do anything special. But i notice the air comes out of the tires quickly and i need to inflate them at least once but usually twice a week. More if i do weekend riding, which i haven't done much of in a long while, but of course will start again soon, 55.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't do anything special. But i notice the air comes out of the tires quickly and i need to inflate them at least once but usually twice a week. More if i do weekend riding, which i haven't done much of in a long while, but of course will start again soon, 55.

I'm assuming you are using tubes. Although made for sealing tubeless tires you can squirt some tire sealant into your tubes to stop small leaks.