US ambassador Davies upbeat after his meeting with PM Prayut

webfact

This is yet another of those laughable contributions. You are just flapping lip unless you have proof of what the middle class thinks, proof of what the rich "of course" think and best of all proof of what the "uneducated" think. Pray supply the three proofs so that the possibility of considering you a right proper fool does not occur to the majority on this thread. Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter,

Insincerely yours,

Friend of the Too Uneducated.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a removed post removed

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.

No offense to GAZZPA and all the other Prayut bashers but I think you would shit your pants before you could take on the crap to deal with here.

Or we would not be so arrogant and conceited as to think we could do it in the first place. Maybe? And of course offence was intended. Otherwise you'd have been more circumspect with the way you said it,

I haven't heard a better solution from any of you experts yet.

That's probably because none of us are suitable for the post of PM. However, that doesn't mean Prayuth is, that would just be infantile thinking I'm sure you would agree.

Most middle class Thais think he is the best solution for now.

Really? How many exactly? When did you survey them? Let's overlook your hedging 'for now' though shall we? That just shows you aren't confident in what you claim.

The rich , of course hate him obviously and very poor are too uneducated to know what the hell is going on.

I see. So the rich are smart enough to know to hate Thaksin but the very poor are too stupid to know they should hate him? I didn't say it, you did.

Many on these blogs are in the that catagory.

I see. Many on these blogs are poor? uneducated? Really? Who? Maybe it's one of those "put up or shut up" moments. You said it my friend, not me. Either you can justify what you say or you can't... which is it?

ps. I know I'm uneducated, and I know I've only got a working-class first name (thanks Mum, thanks Dad), but I do know that the word 'category' only has one 'a' in it so perhaps I'm not *completely* uneducated. Or alternatively I know how to spall-check.

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted reply of a removed post removed

DAVIES: "It's important to reassure sustainable democracy in Thailand. [Democracy] will be important for [Thailand's] future on [the] economy and security."

GOOGLE TRANSLATION: It's important to allow major corporations, the media, and bankers run your country just like they do America now. Hey, at least with Obama it's been sustainable [so far].

DAVIES: "It was an opportunity for me to listen," he said. "I did more listening than talking in the meeting, which was my plan."

GOOGLE TRANSLATION: We've already tried insulting Thailand and it just didn't work out for some reason. They only moved closer to China. And besides, when you see what we've done to Iraq and Syria in the Middle East, perhaps it's better if we started listening more often.

Birds of a feather flock together. Does the US have a re-education camp if so they should recall this guy and make him run the gamut. I guess the new US policy is to carry a smaller stick and not prod people with it. Another thing to consider we are after all listening to a varnish over press. Glorify the leader and all that rot. If the press had shown him in a bad light well golly gee who knows what would have happened. The media has been under attack because of its reporting lately world wide.

I agree with the point about the press. I think the fact that Prayut made no comment to the press after the meeting suggest the US Ambassador probably just repeated the question "when are you out and a democratically elected government in?" Thats all they really care about.

After all, if the meeting had been a great success with and positive remarks from the US Ambassador about the (self appointed) PM and the Junta then Prayut would have seized the opportunity to say so, and there would have been pictures of smiling faces and "reciprocal" warm handshakes, thus presenting a glowing report to Thailand.

Quite right. Pretty good analysis.

I also suspect he was 'upbeat' (unquote) because he thinks he managed to land a few smacks on target while he was at it. He clearly felt he emerged in a position of dominance, as evidenced by his body language in the film clip of him striding away from the meeting.

Poor old uncle Too, duffed up again - by a hated foreigner no less. Can't win for losing.

Edited by Joe Brennan

Wissanu informed the ambassador that the general election should be held by May 2017.

If they continue to disallow political discourse, opening the way for new political parties to form, then the one they fear the most and are pursuing relentlessly with their idiot LM cases WILL WIN. Why can they NOT see this???

Mr Brennan, I live in a house with 2 bankers, one hospital administrator, 1 car salesman, and 1 reporter which is not everyone in Thailand but it is a pretty good mix. I talk to them often about the problems here.They are hopeful that Prayut can rid the country of a certain percentage of the corruption, primarily orchestrated by the rich and political figures and the police force. That is 90 % of the real corruption. All of them believe that there is no one else in Thailand that is even a little bit capable of resolving any of these issues but they have hope in Prayut. Now you tell me who it is on your list that will go up against the corruption like Prayut. <deleted> no one.

And if you are one of those that keeps bashing him because you have no other idea of what to do you are an ass like the rest of those. Of course he is not perfect as someone you might suggest. But he is sincere and has enough leverage to actually accomplish something positive for the middle class here and the poor. He can never succeed entirely because like all of us he hasn't all the answers and eventually he must give it all back to a floundering democracy.

Others living here and around the neighborhood who live on street vendoring or wood working don't even have an opinion of what is going on in Thailand. i've had my wife try and talk to many and nothing comes back.

So that is where I get my ideas. You are probably sitting on Prayut's councel so I would expect you know much more about it.

Hmmm.

No offense to GAZZPA and all the other Prayut bashers but I think you would shit your pants before you could take on the crap to deal with here.

Or we would not be so arrogant and conceited as to think we could do it in the first place. Maybe? And of course offence was intended. Otherwise you'd have been more circumspect with the way you said it,

That's probably because none of us are suitable for the post of PM. However, that doesn't mean Prayuth is, that would just be infantile thinking I'm sure you would agree.

Really? How many exactly? When did you survey them? Let's overlook your hedging 'for now' though shall we? That just shows you aren't confident in what you claim.

The rich , of course hate him obviously and very poor are too uneducated to know what the hell is going on.

I see. So the rich are smart enough to know to hate Thaksin but the very poor are too stupid to know they should hate him? I didn't say it, you did.

I see. Many on these blogs are poor? uneducated? Really? Who? Maybe it's one of those "put up or shut up" moments. You said it my friend, not me. Either you can justify what you say or you can't... which is it?

ps. I know I'm uneducated, and I know I've only got a working-class first name (thanks Mum, thanks Dad), but I do know that the word 'category' only has one 'a' in it so perhaps I'm not *completely* uneducated. Or alternatively I know how to spall-check.

Joe - I dont want to be a Prayut basher, I am not attacking him for the sake of it. The issue I have is that he has self appointed himself as PM and as far as I can see has done almost nothing. He hasn't even got a list of reforms agreed yet, he seems to be spending his time playing PM rather then paving the way for a democratically elected government as he claims.

His only job internationally should be to simply state when the reforms will be in place to steer the country down an honest and straight path and when the elections will take place.

All of these speeches about please do not criticise (or else) and ridiculous defense against social media hearsay is pretty pathetic, and why should he care he is just there to get the reforms done so democracy can function, right? Well I wish he would get on with it, he is now saying mid 2017,, at this rate he would have a had a full political term by the time he's finished.

It only makes me suspicious that he wants to maintain control. After all he is retired form the military so what will he do?

Lastly, in my view a soldier is always a soldier. He has a controlling attitude towards difficult situations, such as the single gateway. Professional politicians are better placed to deal with politics so he should shut up, get the reforms done and announce the next election.

Mr Brennan, I live in a house with 2 bankers, one hospital administrator, 1 car salesman, and 1 reporter which is not everyone in Thailand but it is a pretty good mix. I talk to them often about the problems here.They are hopeful that Prayut can rid the country of a certain percentage of the corruption, primarily orchestrated by the rich and political figures and the police force. That is 90 % of the real corruption. All of them believe that there is no one else in Thailand that is even a little bit capable of resolving any of these issues but they have hope in Prayut. Now you tell me who it is on your list that will go up against the corruption like Prayut. F..ing no one.

And if you are one of those that keeps bashing him because you have no other idea of what to do you are an ass like the rest of those. Of course he is not perfect as someone you might suggest. But he is sincere and has enough leverage to actually accomplish something positive for the middle class here and the poor. He can never succeed entirely because like all of us he hasn't all the answers and eventually he must give it all back to a floundering democracy.

Others living here and around the neighborhood who live on street vendoring or wood working don't even have an opinion of what is going on in Thailand. i've had my wife try and talk to many and nothing comes back.

So that is where I get my ideas. You are probably sitting on Prayut's councel so I would expect you know much more about it.

Mr Brennan, I live in a house with 2 bankers, one hospital administrator, 1 car salesman, and 1 reporter which is not everyone in Thailand but it is a pretty good mix. I talk to them often about the problems here.They are hopeful that Prayut can rid the country of a certain percentage of the corruption, primarily orchestrated by the rich and political figures and the police force. That is 90 % of the real corruption. All of them believe that there is no one else in Thailand that is even a little bit capable of resolving any of these issues but they have hope in Prayut. Now you tell me who it is on your list that will go up against the corruption like Prayut.

I see. So the opinions of 4 Thais and you magically transform into 'most Thais'?

I literally had no idea someone would seriously say that. None at all.

'Go up against corruption like Prayuth'? Are you being entirely serious? Did anyone go to prison yet or does transferring someone to an inactive post on full salary and benefits qualify as 'going up against corruption'? Seriously?

F..ing no one.

Temper temper. you'll get ducked fer sure.

And if you are one of those that keeps bashing him because you have no other idea of what to do you are an ass like the rest of those.

Well, no, I keep bashing Prayuth because he's a twatt. And he hasn't really done anything at all except clear a few deckchairs in Phuket and a few traders on Silom Road. Oh sorry. I'm wrong. He's talked quite a lot and got angry every day. Nothing else springs to mind, he certainly hasn't 'gone up against' corruption or anything like that. Mind you, his own 600 million baht on a soldiers salary might mean he has to be careful who he prosecutes and what for. Perhaps he'll just keep talking and actually doing nothing. Safer for him I expect.

Of course he is not perfect as someone you might suggest.

Who might I suggest?

But he is sincere

Really? I think you haven't been paying attention and applying critical thought. Or perhaps you've been paying attention to people who haven't been paying attention and applying critical thought. But hey, that's just my opinion - as someone who does in fact pay attention and applies critical thought..

and has enough leverage to actually accomplish something positive for the middle class here and the poor. He can never succeed entirely because like all of us he hasn't all the answers and eventually he must give it all back to a floundering democracy.

Oh dear, I was reading carefully and really paying attention up till until you said that. Now look what you've done.

Have a nice day.

And God, please, grant one last thing, I promise it's the last: forgive all the junta-huggers for they know not a damn thing about anything. and spell 'council' with an 'e'. Amen.

Edited by Joe Brennan

Say what you want, but any man who publicly states that he will "Isolate Thailand from the rest of the world" in order to achieve what HE wants, is a deranged man to be feared.

His attitude is one of Megalomania when he thinks, and believes, that he, and only he, knows what is best for this country.

He will go after any one who opposes him, by any means necessary, exposing their illegal wealth, but from Day One, made it abundantly clear that his finances were totally off limits to anyone and everyone, and that he didn't have to explain a damn thing.

The guy is on a power trip, and is like a power keg getting too close to a match. When it blows, it ain't gonna be pretty.

(((((((Hmmm.

Joe - I dont want to be a Prayut basher, I am not attacking him for the sake of it. The issue I have is that he has self appointed himself as PM and as far as I can see has done almost nothing. He hasn't even got a list of reforms agreed yet, he seems to be spending his time playing PM rather then paving the way for a democratically elected government as he claims.

His only job internationally should be to simply state when the reforms will be in place to steer the country down an honest and straight path and when the elections will take place.

All of these speeches about please do not criticise (or else) and ridiculous defense against social media hearsay is pretty pathetic, and why should he care he is just there to get the reforms done so democracy can function, right? Well I wish he would get on with it, he is now saying mid 2017,, at this rate he would have a had a full political term by the time he's finished.

It only makes me suspicious that he wants to maintain control. After all he is retired form the military so what will he do?

Lastly, in my view a soldier is always a soldier. He has a controlling attitude towards difficult situations, such as the single gateway. Professional politicians are better placed to deal with politics so he should shut up, get the reforms done and announce the next election.))))))

Proffesional politicians are the worse people to have run things. They are trained to do politics not necessarily what is best for the whole or the majority and in Thailand they are only good for getting the most toys into their possesion. That is what they are primarily doing as are the republicans in America.

Still I am not hearing any other functional alternative from anyone. Of course Prayut is imperfect and taking longer than hoped for but I disagree that he is not doing anything. Just figure what he has to work with in his congress. Most all of the politicians that got in through some corrupt means or another.. He is the last great white, I mean Asian hope for Thailand as far as growing out of this system of total corruption. As a foreigner it is actually better to have the corruption especially if you have some liquid assets to do your own bribing if you get in trouble with the police or with immigration or get around doing things totally legal but it is not in the best interest of the average Thai. Maybe millions of Thais are misreading him and he is only there to have total power but I doubt that complety as he would be chopping off the heads of dissenters.

I've been in Thailand for nearly 25 years and watched the corruption of so many of the politicians starting with a real moron named Barnhard when I first moved here and then one after another coming into power and stealing everything they could get. The problem with leadership roles is that you don't always have all the right answers but if you are basically corrupt you need any answers except how to stay in power.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prayut stays in power for many years to come and , of course many will criticize him but you still need to think what are the alternatives. There is no eal hope for democracy if the people aren't educated and if there isn't a real force to run things for the betterment of all. Thailand does not have this and won't for many years if ever. It certainly can't be done in the US.

Prayut must have been throwing up in his mouth talking with this US representative who probably knows little of the problems of Thailand. He comes from one of the most corrupt democracies in the world if not the most, with the unchecked financials contributions, lobbyist system, and gerimandering. What a joke to come here and try and tell Prayut what to do. But the US has the money and even Prayut has to listen.

Mr Brennan, it sounds to me that we have just an angry old man. Can't understand why you guys move to a third world country except to spew crap at everyone, especially the leadership. Maybe for the women. You definetly have no real ideas or how to improve things here. Just garbage in and garbage out. It is really too bad. One thing Prayut does have the power to do is to look over these blogs and kick your ass out of Thailand. Yes that he does have power over in This country. But he does have a few bigger fish to fry , ,, for now!

(((((((Hmmm.

Lastly, in my view a soldier is always a soldier. He has a controlling attitude towards difficult situations, such as the single gateway. Professional politicians are better placed to deal with politics so he should shut up, get the reforms done and announce the next election.))))))

Proffesional politicians are the worse people to have run things. They are trained to do politics not necessarily what is best for the whole or the majority and in Thailand they are only good for getting the most toys into their possesion. That is what they are primarily doing as are the republicans in America.

Still I am not hearing any other functional alternative from anyone. Of course Prayut is imperfect and taking longer than hoped for but I disagree that he is not doing anything. Just figure what he has to work with in his congress. Most all of the politicians that got in through some corrupt means or another.. He is the last great white, I mean Asian hope for Thailand as far as growing out of this system of total corruption. As a foreigner it is actually better to have the corruption especially if you have some liquid assets to do your own bribing if you get in trouble with the police or with immigration or get around doing things totally legal but it is not in the best interest of the average Thai. Maybe millions of Thais are misreading him and he is only there to have total power but I doubt that complety as he would be chopping off the heads of dissenters.

I've been in Thailand for nearly 25 years and watched the corruption of so many of the politicians starting with a real moron named Barnhard when I first moved here and then one after another coming into power and stealing everything they could get. The problem with leadership roles is that you don't always have all the right answers but if you are basically corrupt you need any answers except how to stay in power.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prayut stays in power for many years to come and , of course many will criticize him but you still need to think what are the alternatives. There is no eal hope for democracy if the people aren't educated and if there isn't a real force to run things for the betterment of all. Thailand does not have this and won't for many years if ever. It certainly can't be done in the US.

Prayut must have been throwing up in his mouth talking with this US representative who probably knows little of the problems of Thailand. He comes from one of the most corrupt democracies in the world if not the most, with the unchecked financials contributions, lobbyist system, and gerimandering. What a joke to come here and try and tell Prayut what to do. But the US has the money and even Prayut has to listen.

25 years in Thailand have jaded your view on things. You seem to be yet another US basher,, ho hum,,

An alternative is for him to put in the reforms he has said and pave the way for a democratically elected government. Yes, thats difficult and yes it won't be perfect but it is not for this man to decide the fate of a whole country, he can do his bit as he has promised and then move aside.

As for you point about politicians being unsuitable for politics,, well all I can say is utter nonsense.

Thailand will never move on with people like you saying "there is no alternative, he's better then the corrupt mob", what a crock. I would like to give the Thai people and Thailand more credit then you, I think that over time they can make the changes once the reforms are in place. Perhaps you should think a little more highly of your hosts.

Lastly, as for who, I dont know and neither does anyone else at this point but thats not the point is it. There is someone out there and it will happen,,,

Hmmm.

Lastly, in my view a soldier is always a soldier. He has a controlling attitude towards difficult situations, such as the single gateway. Professional politicians are better placed to deal with politics so he should shut up, get the reforms done and announce the next election.

I think you got your quotes mixed up a bit. hardly surprising given the rant by our reptilian friend, and perhaps I contributed by commenting on his quotes rant by rant.

I actually agree with you.

Enjoy your day.

Say what you want, but any man who publicly states that he will "Isolate Thailand from the rest of the world" in order to achieve what HE wants, is a deranged man to be feared.

His attitude is one of Megalomania when he thinks, and believes, that he, and only he, knows what is best for this country.

He will go after any one who opposes him, by any means necessary, exposing their illegal wealth, but from Day One, made it abundantly clear that his finances were totally off limits to anyone and everyone, and that he didn't have to explain a damn thing.

The guy is on a power trip, and is like a power keg getting too close to a match. When it blows, it ain't gonna be pretty.

I agree with your post. However, biggrin.png IF push came to shove, what would he be able to do? Seriously? Even with his single gateway, news of any mass 'attitude adjustments' in which soever form, would spread like wildfire. ISIS his junta is most certainly not. He appears very sensitive to World criticism, despite his anti farang stance, therefore, all he can truly hope for is the continuing support of those who back him. And that situation is most definitely not sustainable. So if you were he, what would you do, having already painted yourself into a corner?

Mr Brennan, it sounds to me that we have just an angry old man. Can't understand why you guys move to a third world country except to spew crap at everyone, especially the leadership. Maybe for the women. You definetly have no real ideas or how to improve things here. Just garbage in and garbage out. It is really too bad. One thing Prayut does have the power to do is to look over these blogs and kick your ass out of Thailand. Yes that he does have power over in This country. But he does have a few bigger fish to fry , ,, for now!

LOL. OK. All done now? Off your chest?

Dear oh dear...

I agree with your post. However, biggrin.png IF push came to shove, what would he be able to do? Seriously? Even with his single gateway, news of any mass 'attitude adjustments' in which soever form, would spread like wildfire. ISIS his junta is most certainly not. He appears very sensitive to World criticism, despite his anti farang stance, therefore, all he can truly hope for is the continuing support of those who back him. And that situation is most definitely not sustainable. So if you were he, what would you do, having already painted yourself into a corner?

Indeed. Corner, painted, himself. Quite true. And he keeps finding new corners to paint himself into. A genius he is not.

Well, for starters, he could get over himself and stop believing that he, and only he, has all the answers. He could stop shutting down any and all thoughts and opinions that don't agree with his, and actually start to LISTEN to others, and with an open mind. As hard as it may be to believe at times, there actually are some good, intelligent politicians in all the political parties. Bring them in, listen to them, take their valid suggestions and act on them. Learn to accept criticism like a grown up, instead of throwing a temper tantrum like some spoiled 5 year old who doesn't get his way. Put the reforms in place, then get the hell out.

Well, for starters, he could get over himself and stop believing that he, and only he, has all the answers. He could stop shutting down any and all thoughts and opinions that don't agree with his, and actually start to LISTEN to others, and with an open mind. As hard as it may be to believe at times, there actually are some good, intelligent politicians in all the political parties. Bring them in, listen to them, take their valid suggestions and act on them. Learn to accept criticism like a grown up, instead of throwing a temper tantrum like some spoiled 5 year old who doesn't get his way. Put the reforms in place, then get the hell out.

Again of course I agree. But we both know that's not going to happen. So, given what he would could do, just for argument's sake, what?

Again of course I agree. But we both know that's not going to happen. So, given what he would could do, just for argument's sake, what?

What he could do, and probably will do, is simply continue on the way he's going. Stumbling around, totally lost, becoming more and more frustrated by the day. His statement of closing Thailand off from the rest of the world is frightening as hell, because I can see him doing just that, because in his mind, he has no option. And THAT would be the match to the powder keg that blows this country up. And those of us to live here, and have family here, can only sit by, watch, and hope & pray for the best.

All of that seems sound enough, but then if he was the man you describe, he would not have involved himself in a huge and treasonous conspiracy. For that, there has to be a price, which there will be, And I strongly suspect he won't like the it very much.

This cake is not yet cooked.

Edited by Joe Brennan

Hmmm.

I think you got your quotes mixed up a bit. hardly surprising given the rant by our reptilian friend, and perhaps I contributed by commenting on his quotes rant by rant.

I actually agree with you.

Enjoy your day.

oops, my apologies.

Mr Brennan, I live in a house with 2 bankers, one hospital administrator, 1 car salesman, and 1 reporter which is not everyone in Thailand but it is a pretty good mix. I talk to them often about the problems here.They are hopeful that Prayut can rid the country of a certain percentage of the corruption, primarily orchestrated by the rich and political figures and the police force. That is 90 % of the real corruption. All of them believe that there is no one else in Thailand that is even a little bit capable of resolving any of these issues but they have hope in Prayut. Now you tell me who it is on your list that will go up against the corruption like Prayut. <deleted> no one.

If he is the right man why doesn't he bl**dy get on with it then? Where are the reforms, where are the arrests, where are the major changes to eradicate 90% of the corruption? Where are the reforms?

What you seem to be missing is it is not up to him whether there is a new suitable PM candidate waiting in the wings. He does not get to decide who is suitable and who is not. His job is as he himself described it, implement reforms and get the country ready for an election with a clean slate (cleaner slate).

So, he needs to stop pussy footing around and stop getting emotional about crap like the Presidents handshake and get it done. Now he is saying 2017 for an election? How long are you going to hold this view that he is the best man for the job, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years?

Everyone would like to see him produce results, (everyone!) the day he does, the day something significant happens, the day we see reforms written and agreed I will be the first to join you in congratulating the man.

But for now, I am not impressed along with many others.

Well said. I wish he would just get on with something, we all want to see improvements but how long before he shows something tangible?

I can just see the headlines "Prayut kicks out thousands of expats for voicing negative opinion on government so far".. What would he do with the Thais that disagree? Lock them up? giggle.gif

Despite what you may believe Thailand is a free country and a democracy (or will return to one soon) where freedom of speech and opinion is allowed.

GLYN DAVIES, the new US ambassador to Thailand, has expressed confidence in Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's sincerity in wanting to restore democracy.

The sincerity was always there. That was evident when Prayut took control of a country spiralling into chaos. He saved Thailand economically and ethically.

Like the UN acknowledging and having confidence that Fiji's coup would restore democracy we are witnessing the same thing here.

I did have my doubts about Davies, but well done to him for this acknowledgement.

GLYN DAVIES, the new US ambassador to Thailand, has expressed confidence in Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's sincerity in wanting to restore democracy.

The sincerity was always there. That was evident when Prayut took control of a country spiralling into chaos. He saved Thailand economically and ethically.

Like the UN acknowledging and having confidence that Fiji's coup would restore democracy we are witnessing the same thing here.

I did have my doubts about Davies, but well done to him for this acknowledgement.

I am sure the joy will be unconfined in Washington at your approval of whatever you seem to think Mr. Davies is acknowledging.

No need for you to call him a hero, he has already labeled himself as such but he could not understand why the UN and USA did see him as a hero (his words). Not sure what the US ambassador said but i suspect he did say this on his first meeting, what else would he say?

The question is when? When will Thailand see these reforms, when will we see significant moves forward?

Its been 18 months now, in that time China builds cities, women can produce 2 babies, 6 seasons come and go and where are the reforms? And now he has announced he needs another 18 months!

As I have said in a previous post, i hope he does what he promised, i want him to do it, it will great for Thailand if he does, but I like many others are not convinced with progress right now.