DSI to charge abbot of Wat Dhammakaya

webfact

DSI to charge abbot of Wat Dhammakaya
Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai
The Nation

30271883-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE Department of Special Investigation (DSI) investigating the Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative (KCUC) case has resolved to file charges against Wat Dhammakaya abbot Phra Dhammachayo and others for allegedly aiding former cooperative chairman Supachai Supa-aksorn in embezzlement and money laundering.

The case report would next week be submitted to public prosecutors, who would also decide whether to file charges against anyone else, said acting DSI chief Pol Colonel Paisit Wongmuang yesterday.

Paisit said the investigation team led by Pol Lt-Colonel Pakorn Suchivakul, which followed the money trail in the KCUC case, had completed its probe into Wat Dhammakaya and the Dhammakaya Foundation (also known as Maha Ratana Upasika Chandra Foundation).

They found that these two groups had received cheques on 21 occasions, totalling more than Bt1.205 billion from the cooperative between March 5, 2009 and February 15, 2011, despite owing no debt to the cooperative, he said.

The investigators discussed with Khajornsak Phutthanuparp, head of a public prosecutor team joining the probe, and resolved that such an action by Phra Dhammachayo and others was tantamount to aiding Supachai's alleged embezzlement or theft, money laundering and abuse of authority, added Paisit.

The DSI investigators found that Supachai had signed 878 cheques worth Bt11.367 billion to eight groups and individuals.

They included the Phra Dhammachayo's Wat Dhammakaya group, the Dhammakaya Foundation and network monks, other cooperatives, other legal entities and land brokers, Paisit said.

In September, the KCUC submitted to the asset administrator - the Legal Execution Department - a rehabilitation plan to aid the cooperative's creditors who had been affected by the Bt12-billion embezzlement. The plan was passed on to all 18,869 creditors to study and seek amendments, before the creditors' meeting in mid-December or early January.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/DSI-to-charge-abbot-of-Wat-Dhammakaya-30271883.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-30

anyone that ever wondered how dirty money gets move out of Thailand

Time to review how some establishements are regulated or rather not regulated

They should also consider following the money back to source, I suspect there are many that didn't cry fowl for obvious reasons

Good, nobody should be above the law, although for a few well connected people it's OK.

Yes, nobody should be above the law. Pra Suthep, Pra Issara, their Bangkok shutdown was perfectly legal. But this alleged laundering of donated money is of course ilegal and nothing to do with the temples connections to a certain Thaksin who sometimes went there to worship.

Good, nobody should be above the law, although for a few well connected people it's OK.

Yes, nobody should be above the law. Pra Suthep, Pra Issara, their Bangkok shutdown was perfectly legal. But this alleged laundering of donated money is of course ilegal and nothing to do with the temples connections to a certain Thaksin who sometimes went there to worship.

Just can't help yourself, can you?

But guess if the people you mentioned were laundering money from criminal activities it would be reasonable to also charge them.

How many years have there been numerous charges or allegations of wrong doing been thrown at this temple and it's abbot? Many. So far they've managed to dodge the bullet. I wouldn't be surprised if they dodge another one. People scream and jump up and down about the so called jet setting monk, but the money he was accused of amassing is pocket change compared with this temple and this abbot. coffee1.gif

But guess if the people you mentioned were laundering money from criminal activities it would be reasonable to also charge them.

I can help myself. The money was donated to the temple, not laundered. The abbot of the temple is an ambassador of Thai Buddhism and has devoted his life to preaching and promoting Buddhism. The temple he built is one of the great wonders of Thailand. Those who have persecuted this kind man are those who I mentioned in my previous post. Just because you have Thaksin visit your temple is no reason to accuse the abbot of these false accusations.

I can help myself. The money was donated to the temple, not laundered. The abbot of the temple is an ambassador of Thai Buddhism and has devoted his life to preaching and promoting Buddhism. The temple he built is one of the great wonders of Thailand. Those who have persecuted this kind man are those who I mentioned in my previous post. Just because you have Thaksin visit your temple is no reason to accuse the abbot of these false accusations.
It's certainly a good indication he's a crook

Not as much as taking part in a multibillion baht fraud though...

Edited by Bluespunk

"The DSI investigators found that Supachai had signed 878 cheques worth Bt11.367 billion to eight groups and individuals."

11 billion?

What sort of a dipshit thinks they can get away with embezzlement on that scale?

It beggars belief.

It beggars belief you said it. Made up, fitted up, framed. The yellow peril is alive and well and running the place.

Shouldn't the abbot question the source of the money, especially not from a well known tycoon. I understand the amount donated to the temple was around B1 billion. So that leaves 10B , or I could be wrong. Either way charged and guilty is different thing,

Shouldn't the abbot question the source of the money, especially not from a well known tycoon. I understand the amount donated to the temple was around B1 billion. So that leaves 10B , or I could be wrong. Either way charged and guilty is different thing,

A positive poster at last. Yes the abbot has been charged by the DSI but has yet to be proven guilty of the afore mentioned act. The only part of this charging of the abbot that scares me is it is obvious that the people behind the accusations are friends of the people in power. When the PM is you buddy, you ain't got much of chance of a fair trial.

If you are a rather dull, average, poor individual of little worth, you can improve your stature considerably by becoming a monk. I know of one such individual who seems to spend his life travelling between far flung family, and being put on a pedestal and treated like royalty whenever he turns up. I believe has quite a good bank balance and never needs to call on it because of benevolence and leading a simple life.

False accusations? And you base this assumption upon what?

Edited by Pimay1

Monks ain't what they were

sa tuu

"Do not judge ALL Buddhist Monks by the actions of ONE . . . . ."

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

If only it were ONE... wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif go look in any temple. Go look at Issara, Suthep and all the other fake monks. The supreme light of true Buddhism is all but extinguished in Thailand.

If you are a rather dull, average, poor individual of little worth, you can improve your stature considerably by becoming a monk. I know of one such individual who seems to spend his life travelling between far flung family, and being put on a pedestal and treated like royalty whenever he turns up. I believe has quite a good bank balance and never needs to call on it because of benevolence and leading a simple life.

And I know many monks who never have much more than 50 baht in their pocket at any one time.

And I know many monks who never have much more than 50 baht in their pocket at any one time.

Searching monk's pocket's, as you seem to have done, is not recommended. There may well be some, forest monk's etc., who are virtuous but the Sangha show no leadership against the Issara's and Suthep's who, in my opinion, defile the saffron robe.

Anyway back on topic?

Your right LannaGuy. I knew several forest monks who actually live their lives like monks are supposed to do. The ones who live at Wat Pah Nanachat up near Udon Thani don't even have cell phones. No ipads, ipods, iphones, nada. They still dye their own robes. Now I got way off the subject, sorry.

The village abbot is a lovely guy. He is always pleased to see me and makes small talk and he does a lot for the village and works hard for his flock. I am not saying they are all bad. Just some of them are not in it for the right reasons. Look at the fellow this thread is about? He has courted controversy for many years. Building that huge complex in Pathum Thani and requesting lots of money from its followers goes against the principles of Buddhism? Monks should be treated the same as everyone else and be open to scrutiny?

Edited by MaiChai

False accusations? And you base this assumption upon what?

The money was donated to the temple. This is a witch hunt led by Issara the mad monk. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/03/05/world/social-issues-world/activist-monk-seeks-buddhism-overhaul-in-thailand-over-corruption-fears/

It's a meditation centre, there isn't a place where you can worship like a normal temple. Although I haven't been to each and every single building there.