Unknown BIOS password - Thinkpad X-61 running 8.1

WonnabeBiker

Hi All

I found software and forwarded the links to the guy trying to circumvent the BIOS password on an old Thinkpad.

Found a ton of stuff, but the guy claims these solutions won't work.

Am lacking knowledge and want to ask if anyone of you know a solution?

TBH, the computer is running well and I fail to understand the importance of a BIOS upgrade (am assuming this is what this is about)

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions!

I'm confused.

I'm going to make a couple of 'guesses' here...

1. You have/own an old Thinkpad laptop
2. Entering BIOS configuration is protected by a 'password'
3. The laptop boots fine, it's not a boot password, just a BIOS configuration entry/change password.
4. Someone else entered this BIOS configuration password, but you can't contact this person for 'reasons'.
5. You've taken the laptop to a 'guy' because ??? , even though the laptop boots fine.
6. The 'guy' can't circumvent the BIOS password, or reflash the BIOS.
7. For whatever reason, a physical 'clear' jumper for the BIOS on the motherboard doesn't work or can't be found.
BIOS is hardware/firmware on a motherboard that is the very first instruction a computer runs that allows a system to recognize basic data peripherals and eventually 'boot' into a stored operating system. BIOS upgrades (replacing/rewriting the firmware) are only important if they are in response to a known flaw, security issue, or required feature set necessary for a booting into your preferred operating system.
Since the BIOS firmware is the first instruction a computer will run, many manufacturers give owners the ability to 'set' a 'Superviser', 'HDD' and 'User' password. The Supervisor password is used to deter theft, since without that you can't modify the system.
So, what was the original issue?
Edited by RichCor

@RichCor. I sold the notebook. The buyer won't pay the agreed price because of this flaw, this issue.

As I never made such an update or tried the solution #7, I better shut up now. Should #7 work? Surely, some techies won't throw away a nice although older notebook with this issue?!

#6, reflush the BIOS, is that something which could be done to clear this password as well?

Apologies for my bad initial post and thank you for taking the time to ask questions!

Thinkpads were the initial workhorse laptop PCs for big businesses and government. The ability to set multi-level operator BIOS Passwords and asset tags are a way to combat theft and maintain the ability to track stolen equipment ...even years later.

From what I've read, if the 'supervisor' password has been set but is know unknown to the person in possession of the equipment, neither IBM (and now, Lenovo) won't provide any means to 'clear' or 'reset' it. Some sites suggest that you would need to replace the motherboard, if not the CMOS BIOS chipset on the motherboard, as the supervisor password is stored in a protected portion of the CMOS chipset that is unaffected by flashing firmware updates.

Once the 'supervisor' password has been set then it must be entered to acknowledge any changes to the hardware configuration, so without the password you can't adjust the amount of bas RAM installed, amount of RAM reserved by internal Video, the peripheral boot order, adjust power-on Date/Time, unlock ability to boot from USB, or replace the internal HDD with a different model device).

Edited by RichCor