The seers who 'foresaw' coups in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

The seers who 'foresaw' coups in Thailand

Tan Hui Yee

Under its Buddhist veneer is a mix of animism and astrology, boosted by political patronage

BANGKOK:-- At the corner of a wide, busy intersection in Bangkok where cars make U-turns at hair-raising speeds, Ms Somluck Kaewseenin takes her place on the sidewalk.

The slight, stooped woman with a prominent gold amulet over her pink lace blouse carefully arranges her Ganesha statue and tiger figurines on a makeshift table draped in red.

An impatient queue forms behind me even before I can start the interview with the most popular fortune teller at Huay Kwang intersection.

"Business is always good. I never have enough time to serve everyone who turns up," she says.

In the 12 years she has been doling out auspicious dates and other astrologically related advice, she has also prophesied for politicians from both sides of the kingdom's political divide.

Members of the Thai Rak Thai party - the forerunner of the Puea Thai party which was toppled from its rule in a military coup last year - as well as those from the Democrat Party have sought her out, she says.

-- The Straits Times 2015.10.31

No doubt she also sells amulets to protect from evil and guaranteed lotto wins and good heath I'm sure...

No self respecting Thai person will miss the occasional visit to see a Mo Doo, and they don't like what that

one told them, they will go to see as many as needed until they find the right one who'll tell the what they

want to here, I kid you not, I personally know people how dose that...

Sign me up!

I'm foretelling another coup in the future.

I'm also going to predict some tropical storm, also in the future.

Ah what else...illogical and other "5 year olds would've done this better" by whatever ministry for a very long time...

Now that I'm an expert (as you will be proven in the future...so better believe me now and not wait until then)....who needs advice? :)

With corruption levels spinning out of control and the political parties fighting over who gets the biggest piece of the pie there were only two possible outcomes ... a civil armed conflict or military intervention. I had my emergency exit cash and plan ready to go as early as 2013.

All this "seeing" the future is so easy!

In my Western city I have never lost a bet/wager yet when telling people when it will rain next - and I do put it in writing in a sealed envelope held by a third party. Then the person who has taken the bet/wager against me can open it on the day when it does rain and they can check if my prediction was correct. coffee1.gif

Edited by lvr181

In my Western city I have never lost a bet/wager yet when telling people when it will rain next - and I do put it in writing in a sealed envelope held by a third party. Then the person who has taken the bet/wager against me can open it on the day when it does rain and they can check if my prediction was correct. coffee1.gif

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Wait till tomorrow and you can advance to predicting history.

Read the article in the link, can you still take anything seriously? and we wonder how things get so screwed up here.

Here? Have you seen what the Republican candidates are saying in the U.S.? Have you heard how Cameron justifies his austerity campaign? You think things are screwed up here? You make the comedy.

"Under its Buddhist veneer is a mix of animism and astrology, boosted by political patronage"

Same in the West, exactly. Our superstitions are okay, but other people's are somehow primitive. The above statement is a gross abbreviation and condescending intellectual masturbation. Asian cultures are religiously eclectic. It's like a spiritual smorgasbord. Have a little Taoism, a helping of Buddhism, a sprinkle of animism, a piece of Confucianism, and some animism for dessert. In Japan, Shinto is the official religion, and it is pagan nature worship. In the West, Jesus is a Catholic biscuit, no salt, thirteen is unlucky (in Korea it's five), people throw spilled salt over their shoulder, place palms together to pray (an English Lord's tradition for protection of vassals), have Christmas trees (also pagan and from Yule), and celebrate Easter (from Ostara, another pagan holiday), and then we turn the ancient Irish harvest celebration into a commercial holiday called Halloween and pat ourselves on the back for our innate superiority.

Every major western newspaper has an astrology section. Freaking Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher had astrologers.

We really are way too full of ourselves. Just because we are successful does not mean we are wise or God-ordained for glory.

thumbsup.gif

PS: Suthep and the Junta "foresaw" the coup long before the protests and violence that "forced" the military to step in. Are they seers too?

Edited by FangFerang

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Wait till tomorrow and you can advance to predicting history.

No kidding? cheesy.gif