US Social Security benefit for minors

thehelmsman

Zero. The SS child benefit is paid when the parent with SS earnings has died. The SS Primary Insurance Amount is the pension that the recipient receives based on his history of covered earnings and is not affected by the number of dependents.

Capt you are referring only to survivors benefits.

I do not believe that is what the OP is asking about.

It would be best if he called SS directly.

From their web site:

"When you qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must:

be unmarried; and

be under age 18; or

be 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or

be 18 or older and disabled from a disability that started before age 22."

Zero. The SS child benefit is paid when the parent with SS earnings has died. The SS Primary Insurance Amount is the pension that the recipient receives based on his history of covered earnings and is not affected by the number of dependents.

Capt you are referring only to survivors benefits.

I do not believe that is what the OP is asking about.

It would be best if he called SS directly.

From their web site:

"When you qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, your children may also qualify to receive benefits on your record. Your eligible child can be your biological child, adopted child or stepchild. A dependent grandchild may also qualify.

To receive benefits, the child must:

be unmarried; and

be under age 18; or

be 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or

be 18 or older and disabled from a disability that started before age 22."

Thanks for the reply, I'm 4 yrs away but trying to line things up for my retirement. I just figured there were some guys reading who might be in the same boat as me with a baby and close to retirement.

Archived