Explosions /Sonic booms in Khon Kaen?

graemeaylward

Speculating:

26 / 27 / 29 September: around Ok Phansa festival, fireworks, crackers all over.

Before we had almost three weeks (!) of bored kids (holidays) doing that silly stuff.

Maybe some hools have fired "rest of the feast".

On misc occasions (family events) really loud bangers are fired and they do shake!

Standard on cremations (then usually in the afternoon when the fire has been ignited).

But also possible at break of dawn for other family events/festivals/"tambun".

We had this in the past days repeatedly in the village accompanied by the usual "PVC rockets" started.

Supersonic flights over Isan? Never noticed.

Occassional military jet flights but far from supersonic.

Speculating:

26 / 27 / 29 September: around Ok Phansa festival, fireworks, crackers all over.

Before we had almost three weeks (!) of bored kids (holidays) doing that silly stuff.

On misc occasions (family events) really loud bangers are fired and they do shake!

Standard on cremations (then usually in the afternoon when the fire has been ignited).

We had this in the past days repeatedly in the village accompanied by the usual "PVC rockets" started.

Lived two kilometers from udon airport....maneuvers every month...and quite fast. No sonic booms, but a few hours of noisy flybys.

Even spotted US C130's taking off (I used to load them)..during annual exercises. There were 3 in the air (very unusual)...one after another...made a slow circle and took off towards the east. No doubt came in from Okinawa.

It is the navy doing trial of a rented submarine offshore of Pattaya. Unfortunately only half of it is underwater as it is too shallow to submerge. They are firing of rounds and it is the echo in the partly submerged hull you can hear. They are trying to see if they can land them near Chiang Mai but have quite got the knack yet so are marginally off target. Imagine how it sounds in the sub. blink.png

Speculating:

Your kidding right? Are you saying the Thai air force have no jets that can fly supersonic? You think they are flying bi planes up there or something?

I live North of Khon Kaen and though we have low flying jets flying over occasionally, I've never noticed sonic booms.

I will second the theory that it may be left over fireworks from the End of Buddhist lent as suggested by Khun BENQ.

Maybe shops that couldn't sell all their expensive extremely loud bangers sold them off a bit cheap.

I live at Kosum, about 30 km east of Khon Kaen. I've noticed an unusual number of explosions over the last few days (maybe 10 or so a day). It's too loud for fireworks and sounds more like artillery or mortars. Maybe there is a training base nearby. I thought it might be a quarry, but the 'booms' don't seem to be muffled.

Speculating:

Your kidding right? Are you saying the Thai air force have no jets that can fly supersonic? You think they are flying bi planes up there or something?

Where did I write that the "Thai Air force" CAN NOT fly supersonic?

When jets pass here by they DO NOT.

Never heard such a "boom".

Some people read between lines what is not there.

Better learn to read on the lines!

Are you Thai, with the Thai Air Force?

Sounds like!

Clown, ignore +1.

I spent a week in AEK Udon Hospital back in 2009, a nice private room at rear on 3rd floor with small balcony, every morning around 08.30hrs used to get pairs of fast jets doing bombing runs right over my rear balcony, was pretty cool to watch the display, they seemed to repeat this for about 30 mins in pairs.

I live two miles from Nahm Pawng Airbase, Vietnam era US built I believe. The flyboys were up last week but no sonic booms here. The booms seemed to be coming from the south and definitely not fireworks. Is there a livefire range in this area?

Archived