Vespa, style, the scooter scene...and MrsB

AllanB

Doing some shopping this morning at Tesco, Vespa had a stand there, along with a few others, including Honda. Couldn't help noticing how much better the Vespas looked and felt when we sat on one, better than anything Japanese, so now MrsB wants one...89k baht!! for such a cool looking LXV125 with twin seats and a drop down luggage rack.... all that is needed is to add 35 mirrors and some music from "The Who".

For some reason it fitted us perfectly (sized to fit Italians rather than Japs, I guess) and whilst it still has the small wheel problem, it looked like a nice bike to tour on. Indeed Vespa themselves organise group tours and a Scottish mate of mine regularly (well 2 or 3 times a year) does a tour with his club, when he is not away working. This is all low speed stuff which to some extent mitigates the need for big wheels.

In the good old days, whilst you often heard of Rockers righting them selves off, or smashing themselves up, leaving them with a limp, I don't recall too many Mods doing the same. Remembering too that whilst the bikers were leathered and booted up, the scooter folks wore green cotton Parkers, to keep their suits clean and well polished Italian shoes.

Is anyone here into the Vespa/scooter club scene in Thailand, it certainly looks like fun and of course you can use the bikes around town too?

"In the good old days, whilst you often heard of Rockers righting them selves off, or smashing themselves up, leaving them with a limp"
Wow I never heard of any of this stuff going on in the old days.
This is British slang, right?

Edited by seedy
language

"In the good old days, whilst you often heard of Rockers righting them selves off, or smashing themselves up, leaving them with a limp"

You must be too young wink.png

You must be too young wink.png

The nuns told us we would go to hell and/or go blind if we did that stuff.

papa wears glasses.

You have to be in England in the late 60's, news of our little punch-ups probably never made it across the pond, no one died, just a few fat lips and a dozen broken windows...and an odd spilt cup of coffee.

Italian scooters (Vespa and Lambretta) are enjoying something of a revival in Europe right now, here too to a lesser extent. They now have a rubber band rather than a twist grip change, but here in KK there are quite a few old models around, so Vespa must have sold a few in the past.

Allen, be advised there was a recent discussion on TV forum concerning the Yamaha NMax and how the 13 inch wheels were small enough to put one at a disadvantage.

The Vespa you are looking at has 11 inch front and 10 inch rear wheels.

The TV wheel-size advisory dudes may decide for you that the Vespa would not be acceptable due to the small wheel size.

whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

I myself think a Vespa is a very nice machine. wai2.gif

Spoke to 4 or 5 guys this morning who owned old Vespas and a guy who runs the local Vespa repair shop, interesting that all of them own motorbikes too. The guy who runs the shop and owns a couple of old 60's/70's Vespas, has an old restored/original Triumph Tiger 650 too, that had the old saliva running down my chin...Wasn't selling though.

So, it seems the polarisation between the scooter and bike scene doesn't exist here, not like in England a while back.

Doing my apprenticeship, I used to get a lift to work from a mate on his GX200 (I think), wasn't allowed a bike myself, but age 16 desperately wanted anything with wheels and an engine. Had to wait until 17.. and a day and got a 1960 Fiat 600...my first set of wheels, so missed out on the two wheels scene for quite a few years.

Yeh, a couple of these Thai guys do the club scene here, usually a ride in the mountains, but admitted their old 2 stroke bikes struggled to keep up with the modern bikes on the hills, which most of other members rode. I think to join the scene here I would opt for new, one old troublesome bike is enough for me out here.

A Vespa has to be the only choice here if you want European, unless you are loaded, or it is your only set of wheels.

Edited by AllanB

When I shopped a new scooter a few years back I tested the Vespas at Rama 4 BKK and now understand why they are so pricey.

They have that cool single sided front suspension and a unibody like a modern car.

One thing to consider is a damaged unibody will be pricier to fix than replacing plastic panels on a Japanese scooter.

I also like the front glove box; wish all bike had one.

Vespas were underpowered compared with the BSA 250 CC Scooter!

Scooters, like Vespas and Lambrettas weren't at all about power, or speed, they were about style, as were the Mods who rode them. Motorcycles, like the BSA250cc and above had a different purpose and a completely different image.

In some ways the Vespa scooter works well in Thailand, travel is slower and more sober, so you can wear proper clothes, ride around town and turn up looking smart. Pretty much what happened in the good old days.

Scooter wise, the only difference between there and then and here and now, is smart clothes covered by a Parker to keep them clean and nicely polished Italian shoes, is replaced by a string vest, daggy shorts and flip flops.

So let's not call them Mods and more eh?saai.gif

I had an Aprilia SportCity 250i in Florida.

Same exact engine and drivetrain as the Vespa GTS250 (both are made by Piaggio) and there is no way I would ever call it underpowered. 80+mph.

Fuel-injected DOHC water-cooled and three disc brakes with 15 inch wheels.

Now the Aprilia and the Vespa are both called 300, but are actually 278cc. I really wish Aprilias were sold in Thailand. Awesome bikes in every way.

post-41898-0-38973900-1446690150_thumb.j

Scooters, like Vespas and Lambrettas weren't at all about power, or speed, they were about style, as were the Mods who rode them. Motorcycles, like the BSA250cc and above had a different purpose and a completely different image.

In some ways the Vespa scooter works well in Thailand, travel is slower and more sober, so you can wear proper clothes, ride around town and turn up looking smart. Pretty much what happened in the good old days.

Scooter wise, the only difference between there and then and here and now, is smart clothes covered by a Parker to keep them clean and nicely polished Italian shoes, is replaced by a string vest, daggy shorts and flip flops.

Allan you are one nostalgic dude.

Getting a little weepy myself.

Eh!

Nostalgia, way off topic but this will make you smile as to how it was back then.

Think it was 1965, I was behaving, just cruising around on my Lambretta TV175, listening to the 'cool' sound from my new chrome megaphone silencer when alongside came one of these...

attachicon.gifpolice-bike.jpg

He told me to pull over, He said, "your making to much noise", I said "it's a brand new box", he said " it maybe but I am reporting you for excessive noise".

Anyhooo, got a court summons through the post to appear at Greenwich Magistrates Court for juveniles for making a noise facepalm.gif , mum must attend, she was really pleased about that.rolleyes.gif I had appeared there a year earlier so I knew what to expect, thats another scooter story whistling.gif .

I thought to myself, it's a brand new silencer, bought in a scooter spares shop and I got nicked, hmmmm. So I took the box off, cleaned it up, still looked brand new.

Court day came, me and mum walked into the court room, big room all wood paneled with the judge sitting high up there and the cop sitting in the pews. Oh yes, I had a silencer under my arm. laugh.png

" Judge says you have been reported for making excessive noise, what have you to say"

"Sir, I bought this silencer brand new from a scooter shop and did not know it would be illegal to use". I held the box up so he could see it.

"Hmmm, policeman to the Dock please"......(judge says) "The lad bought this silencer new in a shop"

"Yes mulud, we are trying to stop these imports of noisy silencers, blah blah".

(judge looks at me) "Hmmm, well regardless of you buying a new silencer in good faith, it seems you were making a noise and that is why you are here"...

Judge pursed his lips, looked over the top of his glasses at me.

"Hmmm, two pound fine, no license endorsement, next case".

Epilogue.

Now imagine the cost of the court stuff for just my silencer, a juvenile too. whistling.gif

I bet you were a lot of trouble to your poor old mum, the sort of "little devil" that gave the otherwise innocent scooter boys a bad name...and the reason why I wasn't allowed one.......Nashing of teeth!

That copper looked like a thoroughly decent chap, did he give you a healthy cuff around the ear for making such a racket?

Good story...wasn't life simple then, bought something from a shop and got nicked for it....fair enough.coffee1.gif

The judges and police had nothing else to do in those days, other than show a tit or a bit of leg at the Freemasons Lodge .......OOOps!1zgarz5.gif Did I say that out loud?

Sing it..."There'll be blue birds over, the white cliffs of Dover!

Edited by AllanB

AB .MAJIC said BSA 250 scooter, not motorbike.
Surely you know of the Beeza Sunbeam [and sister, Triumph Tigress]?

AB .MAJIC said BSA 250 scooter, not motorbike.
Surely you know of the Beeza Sunbeam [and sister, Triumph Tigress]?

He was obviously nowhere near England in the 60's/70's otherwise he would bear scars to say that a BSA was a scooter, in those days that was a "tar and feathering" offence.....

Sorry Papa you cannot take part in this Limey nostalgic crap, you should start a thread on what how you Yanks misspent your youth.... How you rode your Alligators and Hoss Bosses 3000 miles in a morning to catch the Hawaiian surf and then back to Wall Street in time for the big crash.

Nostalgia, way off topic but this will make you smile as to how it was back then.

Think it was 1965, I was behaving, just cruising around on my Lambretta TV175, listening to the 'cool' sound from my new chrome megaphone silencer when alongside came one of these...

attachicon.gifpolice-bike.jpg

He told me to pull over, He said, "your making to much noise", I said "it's a brand new box", he said " it maybe but I am reporting you for excessive noise".

Anyhooo, got a court summons through the post to appear at Greenwich Magistrates Court for juveniles for making a noise facepalm.gif , mum must attend, she was really pleased about that.rolleyes.gif I had appeared there a year earlier so I knew what to expect, thats another scooter story whistling.gif .

I thought to myself, it's a brand new silencer, bought in a scooter spares shop and I got nicked, hmmmm. So I took the box off, cleaned it up, still looked brand new.

Court day came, me and mum walked into the court room, big room all wood paneled with the judge sitting high up there and the cop sitting in the pews. Oh yes, I had a silencer under my arm. laugh.png

" Judge says you have been reported for making excessive noise, what have you to say"

"Sir, I bought this silencer brand new from a scooter shop and did not know it would be illegal to use". I held the box up so he could see it.

"Hmmm, policeman to the Dock please"......(judge says) "The lad bought this silencer new in a shop"

"Yes mulud, we are trying to stop these imports of noisy silencers, blah blah".

(judge looks at me) "Hmmm, well regardless of you buying a new silencer in good faith, it seems you were making a noise and that is why you are here"...

Judge pursed his lips, looked over the top of his glasses at me.

"Hmmm, two pound fine, no license endorsement, next case".

Epilogue.

Now imagine the cost of the court stuff for just my silencer, a juvenile too. whistling.gif

The police bike is a Velocette LE My friends Dad had one and they were very quiet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocette

After the Second World War, the company sought to capture what it saw as a developing need for personal transport and created the LE model[2] (for "Little Engine"). This was a 149 cc water-cooled flat-twin with side valves, a pressed steel frame, telescopic forks and a swingarm. Velocette's Director, Eugene Goodman, planned an innovative and radical design that would appeal to a new market that needed cheap, clean and reliable transport. Designer Charles Udall developed the Velocette LE as a "conceived-as-a-whole" design, with engine, gearbox, drive shaft and bevel box in a single unit to do a specific job. It was sophisticated and expensive.[citation needed] Unfortunately it proved less successful than the firm had hoped and, although it became Veloce's best selling model ever, the high tooling costs for this all-new machine were barely recouped.

It did see widespread adoption by British police forces for urban patrol.[2] At the time Metropolitan Police Officers on foot patrol were required to salute sergeants and inspectors. With the introduction of the Velocette LE this became dangerous, requiring the officer to take his hand off the handle bars, and so the rider was to allowed to show his respect with a smart nod. It has been suggested that this is how Velocette LEs became known as "Noddy Bikes".[1] However, Noddy (the popular cartoon character created by British children's author Enid Blyton) who famously had frequent run-ins with the Policeman Mr. Plod, is also credited with being the origin.