Tivo-like Recording From Ubc Satellite Box?

retiree

I assume that it's pretty easy to record UBC programs from their box to my video card to my disk. But is there any way to (electronically) change the channel on the UBC box (i.e. using the serial port on the back)? Or do I need to hire a thumb-bot?

Retiree

There are other decoders around that can be programmed to come on

and change channel at a time that you prescribe.

I had one in the Middle East.

I did raise your question with UBC 2 years ago, but only got the answer that they were "looking into" decoders with time programming.

I never found a way to use the serial port, but the IR idea

is a good thought.

Down here in Malaysia the Astro decoder has a proper EPG and

programming faciltity built in already.

Hi Retiree

I use WinDVR software with my TV card in my PC. It allows to to schedule a recording but only with the channel that's currently selected on your UBC box. Only useful for a one off recording if you're not in or asleep, still it's something.

Some of the TV cards come with IR blasters if I recall correcly which are used to change channels at set times etc... if you are away. Although I think you need Media Centre 2005.

I did ask UBC if their boxes supported the IR Blaster facility as some of the new recorders have it. Guess what, no they don't was the reply. By all accounts UBC recievers are in the stone age compared to most other systems.

SageTV IIRC supports IR out (not IRDA though.. an IRDA port is not always using consumer IR freqs)..

Snapstream / beyondTV is a good app also has IR blaster IIRC..

MythTV ??

Just search IR blaster with DVR soft and you will get loads of hits.. Snapstream is nice IMHO.

the ir blaster isn't the issue though is it? There isn't an EPG so you can't set recordings unless you look in the magazine.

MCE2005 won't work either as it doesn't have an epg for UBC.

If it had an epg you could buy a dreambox reciever with a built in HDD then you would be laughing. My biggest challenge would be finding some half decent to record, epg or no epg :o

your best bet (and probably the cheapest) would be to find a PCI sat tuner card like this twinham:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/TwinHan...CI-receiver.htm

Then buy the apropriate CAM (irdeto in UBC's case) and pop your UBC smartcard in. No need for the UBC box!

I think for an additional 400 something Baht/month you can get a second UBC card, so you could still use your UBC box simultaniously (just connect the dish with a splitter to both the UBC box and your PC) for any channel while your PC is recording something else...

My rather geeky solution to changing channels was to have some IR-Remote software on my PDA pointed at the TV (PC's in a different room). Then i'd just set a reminder on my calendar to change the channel, so i used remote-desktop to get to the PDA from work and press the relevent channel. As far as i can tell, the UBC box will only play whats showing on both RF and composite outputs.

Not sure if it will help but Sonys programmable remote (RM-AV2000) can be programmed to switch on and of any AV equipment including the UBC box, it can also change channels at preset times.

I bought one at Singapore airport for just under $200 and use it to controll all my AV equipment, 5 remotes in the drawer and 1 on the table.

There may be other programmable remotes around that can do the same thing.

The IR suggestions sound good, but does anybody out there happen to have either a dumb terminal, or a terminal emulator (Kermit?) and cable that can be plugged into the serial port on the box? I heard a rumor that "help" or "?" might produce a prompt.

Retiree

Not sure if it will help but Sonys programmable remote (RM-AV2000) can be programmed to switch on and of any AV equipment including the UBC box, it can also change channels at preset times.

Ironically, I found this and another Sony remote item while searching for a channel changing solution for UBC myself. I even downloaded the PDF manual, but there was nothing in there about changing channels based on a timer. Very sad, considering what the unit claims to be.

Luckily, if you are willing to check through the HBO links, etc., you can get access to most movie times, and plan you recording accordingly. For instance, I set up four recordings to take place on Star Movies tonight. The other night I got several flicks of HBO, and next weekend, while I'm away, my system will catch a few Movie Hits flicks (Ch. 53). Planning ahead is a bit tedious, but it is a work-around.

I'm just grateful to have a menu of movies to watch, rain or shine, on the DVR these days!

http://www.hboasia.com/hbo?country=TH

http://www.cinemaxasia.com/cinemax/?country=TH

http://www.startv.com/schedule/daily.html;...2214d">

http://th.hallmarkchannel.com/framework.jsp?CNTRY=TH

http://www.ubc.co.th/search/eng/Search.asp...p;Start_Time=99

Using these links, it's fairly easy to get enough info to decide if a movie is worth watching. Star Movies is a drag, though. I use IMDB to help me there.

I really like HBO/Cinemax, because I can actually search for a movie title and find out when it will be shown on UBC in Thailand.

The problem we are having with UBC has been around for a long time for people all over the world, so I'm surprised there isn't a stand-alone solution for timing IR channel changes.

PS, I wrote an HTML page that I use to call up all the html pages at once, in frames, for easy reference.

Channel 53 is a pain in regard to the current date, so I wrote a javascript to deal with that.

PM me if you'd like me to send that to you. I'll be happy to do it. I think it's too awkward to post it here.

It makes finding "what's on" a lot easier than thumbing through the magazine! :o

Ironically, I found this and another Sony remote item while searching for a channel changing solution for UBC myself. I even downloaded the PDF manual, but there was nothing in there about changing channels based on a timer. Very sad, considering what the unit claims to be.

Sorry, I gave you the wrong model number of my Sony remote, it should have been RM-AV3000. This model works fine as a timer to control all my AV equipment.

http://www.remotecentral.com/av3000/index8.htm

Time for a change!

Another new spiffy feature is timers - and there's a full dozen of them to play with. Timers are, in reality, complete macros unto themselves with 32 steps each, and are treated just like Component Macros - except they can reference both System and Component macros. The RM-AV3000 supports a clock and day-of-week function, so macros can be configured to run at a specific time of day on any single day of the week, or on one of several combinations: weekdays only, weekends only, or weekdays plus Saturday. Having difficulty getting your DSS system to play nicely with your VCR? The RM-AV3000 could be used as a surrogate program timer!

your best bet (and probably the cheapest) would be to find a PCI sat tuner card like this twinham:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/TwinHan...CI-receiver.htm

Then buy the apropriate CAM (irdeto in UBC's case) and pop your UBC smartcard in. No need for the UBC box!

I think for an additional 400 something Baht/month you can get a second UBC card, so you could still use your UBC box simultaniously (just connect the dish with a splitter to both the UBC box and your PC) for any channel while your PC is recording something else...

Anywhere to buy this in Thailand?

Hey, cool, man!

Thanks! I got all the pdfs on that link.

Now we need to verify that this unit will work with UBC's satellite box. For the price, wherever we can find it, we should be sure it works. The "learning" function sounds promising. It that works, then programming channel changes per day, weekend day, etc., would be very handy.

This could be what I'm looking for, though (careful what you wish for :o )it seems quite complicated to use.

Upcountry, I have the RM-AV3000 here in Thailand and it works ok with the UBC box. It's not that hard to use, just takes a while to read the manual but it's all very logical so not that hard.

I bought it at the Singapore airport a few years ago but guess it should be available here in Thailand as well.

• 1 month later...

I got a Sony RM-AV3000, and I'm working my way through the manual now.

I set up a timer, but I'm having trouble with channels. If I enter 1, then 2 (for channel 12) in the timer setup, and then test it, I end up with channel 22. This is because a 1 is sent, then a 2, (I get channel 12 for a moment) and then another 2 is sent for some reason. I've tried this a few times with the same result.

I also tried using the Channel up/down buttons (which work fine directly with the UBC box, as do the LCD channel numbers) when I change channels directly. When I use the up/down buttons with a timer, and test it, it jumps up or down three channels instead of one.

Somehow, my entries are read as repeated entries I suppose - or my unit is defective.

I started to try the channel macro feature, but found out that it can't be used with "learned" devices, which is what the UBC satellite box is - in my case anyway. I can't find a code for it.

So, I welcome advice about this. I got a used one, so I hope it is not broken. Internet reviews do indicate that it tends to fail after a certain amount of use (abuse?). It looks like mine is in good shape, except for this problem. :o

UC

I got a Sony RM-AV3000, and I'm working my way through the manual now.

I set up a timer, but I'm having trouble with channels. If I enter 1, then 2 (for channel 12) in the timer setup, and then test it, I end up with channel 22. This is because a 1 is sent, then a 2, (I get channel 12 for a moment) and then another 2 is sent for some reason. I've tried this a few times with the same result.

I also tried using the Channel up/down buttons (which work fine directly with the UBC box, as do the LCD channel numbers) when I change channels directly. When I use the up/down buttons with a timer, and test it, it jumps up or down three channels instead of one.

Somehow, my entries are read as repeated entries I suppose - or my unit is defective.

I started to try the channel macro feature, but found out that it can't be used with "learned" devices, which is what the UBC satellite box is - in my case anyway. I can't find a code for it.

So, I welcome advice about this. I got a used one, so I hope it is not broken. Internet reviews do indicate that it tends to fail after a certain amount of use (abuse?). It looks like mine is in good shape, except for this problem. :o

UC

UC, I answered your PM but later when checking my outgoing mail it was not there so I post here again just in case someone else have the same problem.

I have the same UBC box as you and it works fine.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have to adjust the interval time or the timing. If you check the manual under "Executing a Series of Commands" you will find the procedure for this. My setting for the STB button, that I use for the UBC box, is 100ms for the interval and 1s for the time.

Hope this will help.

The only thing I can think of is that you may have to adjust the interval time or the timing. If you check the manual under "Executing a Series of Commands" you will find the procedure for this. My setting for the STB button, that I use for the UBC box, is 100ms for the interval and 1s for the time.

ZZZ, thanks for your feedback here.

I verified that your interval settings are the default ones. I tried longer settings too. Nothing has helped.

I reset the entire remote to factory settings and ran the learn procedure again to set up the UBC remote settings. I still get the weird double playback of numbers so that an attempt to program a change to channel 12 becomes 22 in the end.

Would you mind detailing the steps you take to program a channel change for the UBC box?

If I try exactly what you do, and all other settings are the same, I'll just have to face up to the reality that my unit is either broken or not the same as yours somehow. :o

Thanks again,

UC

UC,

These are the steps I use to set-up the UBC box to switch to ch12:

Press "commander off" and mute button to get into program mode

Press TIMER on the display

Press PROGR1

Press SETUP

Press DAY and use UP/DOWN arrows to set day press ENTER

Press TIME and use UP/DOWN arrows to set time press ENTER

Press MACRO, press "STB" button, press 1, press 2

Hold down "COMMANDER ON" button

Press "TIMER" button

Press PROGR1

Press on off on the display, the timer symbol should be on

Press the "COMMANDER ON" button

The unit should now switch to ch12 at the time set.

Hope this will work.

Thanks,

Doest the Test feature work for you?

I looked on the back of my unit, and saw "made in Singapore", but also notes about "for U.S.A. version only", and "for Canadian version only". I wonder if my unit is keyed more to American systems - maybe it's a "regional remote"! :o

The test function works fine.

My unit is made in Malaysia but also have the "for U.S.A. version only", and "for Canadian version only" on the back.

Can you change channels manually with the unit, can you program something else, like the TV set to change channels?

Actually, mine says Malaysia too. Don't know why I thought of Singapore when I wrote my last post, except that you had mentioned buying it there, so that stuck in my mind! :o

The first time I tried the timer with my TV, it also behaved strangely. I still can't get the manual part to work with my Sony TV remote's weird button for double-digit channels. I tried the up/down thing with the timer yesterday for the TV and it worked fine (with the UBC box the timer jumps three channels, vs working properly with the direct manual operation).

So, it comes down to the fact that my particular unit can LEARN the UBC remote functions for manual usage, but some 'twilight zone" porblem occurs when I try to set the timer for it. I'm going to try contacting Sony support one more time to see if they are more helpful then the last time I called.

BTW, do you have a US "800" number for support in your manual, or an Asian support number? So far, we seem to have the same exact type, but this would confirm it.

Thanks,

UC

Sorry but I don't have the number to customer support, you should be able to find it on the Sony website.

I have tried to replicate your problem but no luck so far. Guess you have had a look at the troubleshooting guide in the manual. One thing there is that you have to be away from the equipment when you use the learn function as some of the equipment respond with a signal that could be added to the macro.

I will do some further tests and let you know if I find out anything.

Cheers

ZZZ

Thanks for your help. :o

THe number I'm referring to is the one on page 87 of my manual. I'm wondering if you have the USA number in your manual, or something else. That would be an additional clue to determine if we have the same version of the product.

Good, interesting point about being near equipment while using the learn function. What's weird is that after learning, the Sony remote works perfectly to control the USB box directly. The problem is only in the macro. So, I'll re-do the learning away from the UBC box and see if that makes any difference.

UC