Buying a Ford Ranger Wildtrack pickup

Najinsky

This might be of use ... I actually know of a Thai Guy, who speaks excellent English, who sells Fords. He actually phoned me up today asking if I was still interested in a Wildtrak. He demo one for me months ago.

Apparently he has just changed dealerships in Bangkok, so he may be up for a reasonable deal as he is new to that company and would want to get his sales figures up. I didn't ask which dealer he is at now but I have his phone number ... PM me if interested.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Ford is the QC and the after sales service. There is an official Thai Ford FB page and it is loaded with ppl posting their issues. Long waits, poor service, paint chipping off the bumper from a spray wash, rust in the injector heads, trans axle coming off. I think there was Fiesta that caught fire after a small crash.

Don't ever go off a video "review" Most of them are paid advertorials

3 years ago I cancelled my wildtrack order and got the mazda bt50. ugly SOB but works great and no issues. Had the battery die a few months ago and called mazda, they sent 2 guys on a motorbike with a new battery. I paid for it but nice that they can come to me and replace it.

Mazda and Ford come from the same factory but I just don't understand the QC issues. Different lines i guess but a world of difference. Maybe Ford is better now?? Gotta do the research carefully bcuz that is a purchase that can bring happiness or complete misery.

Just to add, I really do like FOrd's styling. Some of the best looking design.

Edited by mr3cho

The problem with Ford is the QC and the after sales service. There is an official Thai Ford FB page and it is loaded with ppl posting their issues. Long waits, poor service, paint chipping off the bumper from a spray wash, rust in the injector heads, trans axle coming off. I think there was Fiesta that caught fire after a small crash.

Don't ever go off a video "review" Most of them are paid advertorials

3 years ago I cancelled my wildtrack order and got the mazda bt50. ugly SOB but works great and no issues. Had the battery die a few months ago and called mazda, they sent 2 guys on a motorbike with a new battery. I paid for it but nice that they can come to me and replace it.

Mazda and Ford come from the same factory but I just don't understand the QC issues. Different lines i guess but a world of difference. Maybe Ford is better now?? Gotta do the research carefully bcuz that is a purchase that can bring happiness or complete misery.

Just to add, I really do like FOrd's styling. Some of the best looking design.

It's the exact same people screwing together and QC'ing cars off the Auto Alliance assembly line - none of the production line workers are Ford or Mazda exclusive.

My guess? Ford is already "on the back foot" with many customers due to delivery delays - and once you've made that first step in transitioning to a "complainer", the 2nd step is much easier :)

The delivery delays are an issue Ford TH need to take much more seriously, IMHO.

I replied to many of the posts individually, but just wanted to say a general thanks for all the great replies.

I've decided to buy the Wildtrak, now just need to decide 2.2L or 3.2L and 4wd Vs 2wd.

My original thinking was if I went for the 2.2 it would be 2wd as little point having an underpowered 4wd. Then IMHO mentioned the new engine system, and checking on the ford.co.th site I see the 2.2L has been improved from 150 PS to 160 PS. Is it safe to assume that most comments here about the 2.2L are based on the older 150PS engine? I ask because the comments are already generally favourable, so with the extra 10PS, I think the 2.2L with be more than enough, and more economical to run.

However, lack of clarity in the standard features versus optional features is complicating the issue. The Ford website says the 18" wheels and reversing camera (and some others) are a feature of the 3.2L model. Yet the model I saw in the showroom was 2.2L but had both of these features.

The conversation at the showroom was already very difficult, and I doubt I'll get all the features I want unless I can get good information first about which models come with which features. But the spec sheets and brochures are all in Thai.

The 2.2 2wd manual has the reversing camera and the nicer set of 18" alloys as standard. Be aware that the 3.2 is auto only (or I would've got a 3.2 manual) and lacks a few of the more gimmicky electronics that I'm glad not to have (like lane assist).

The 2.2 2wd manual has the reversing camera and the nicer set of 18" alloys as standard. Be aware that the 3.2 is auto only (or I would've got a 3.2 manual) and lacks a few of the more gimmicky electronics that I'm glad not to have (like lane assist).

AFAIK, There's no lane keeping assist available even if you wanted it - it's certainly deleted from the Everest software.

Kind of understandable too, with road markings this good :P

1.jpg

Source: http://stock-clip.com/video-footage/riding+motorcycle+country+road/4

AFAIK, There's no lane keeping assist available even if you wanted it - it's certainly deleted from the Everest software.

Kind of understandable too, with road markings this good :P

1.jpg

Source: http://stock-clip.com/video-footage/riding+motorcycle+country+road/4

Quite a few guys on some Aussie forums are asking if there is a way to set the default setting to off as it's a pain in the arse.

Ford is considered tough..

also chevy which is lil bigger...Thai are buying more now...not so much toyota anymore..

Personally I'm going to get the mitsubishi....almost same as their suv and its been tops for many many years. think 10 years

like the looks

also chevy which is lil bigger...Thai are buying more now...not so much toyota anymore..

Personally I'm going to get the mitsubishi....almost same as their suv and its been tops for many many years. think 10 years

like the looks

One Australian reviewer said he wouldn't inflict the Mitsu's poor ride on anyone he knew. Go for it!

like the looks

One Australian reviewer said he wouldn't inflict the Mitsu's poor ride on anyone he knew. Go for it!

One reviewer said it had a poor ride, goodness gracious me, but I guess if you were as prejudiced as some it might convince you not to buy.

I bought my Ford Ranger 2.4 diesel 4x4 back in 2002, still runs perfect and has had only trivial mechanical problems, interior is perfect and paint still good (at home always under cover). Back in USA I had Ford Explorer for 8 years, same perfect. Ford F-150 pickup has been the top selling vehicle in USA for the past 15+ years, there are good reasons for that. My current elderly Ranger seems destined for many more years but i would gladly buy a Wildtrack if ever had a need for a replacement. The local Ford dealer (Phuket) had very friendly but not overly competent staff and their garage manager is simply incompetent, changed to using a local garage with old-fashined dirty hands mechanic who really knows his stuff.

After youve owned it for 6 months youll be the one telling us your horror stories about it and the non existing customer service in Thailand.

The problem with your post is that it was proved wrong well before you even started typing, LOL :)

Bought first 2.2 AT XLT in early 2012 after a 2-3 month wait. Traded in earlier this year for a 3.2 WT with only dealer prep delay of 2 days (in stock).

The only issues I recall during the +60,000 km on the smaller one was some lights failing on the dashboard speedo and tacho illumination, a low frequency 'hum' vibration from the aircon blower motor, a bit of a rattle from somewhere in the plastic radio/CD/climate control binnacle and the driver seat height setting always getting lower as I climbed in and out (fat ar5e and bad seat-height control lever placement). Apart from that, absolutely nothing major and all (4) services were done without any issues. The 2.2 had plenty power for my barging around highway and city and was great on the frequent Isaan-to-earth runs.

Done around 17,000 km on the WT since February and nothing causing me any grief yet apart from a bad week of numpties running up my ar5e during the summer. Solved that by replacing the stock back bumper with an MCC (Ban Bueng) combo towbar/step chunk of metalwork.

Pleease goive us a follow up report when you get to 170,000 km.. Thanks

Why?

The highest mileage I have logged before trading in any of my wheels anywhere in the world was about 98,000 miles on my Dodge Ram p/u (I wrecked it actually but the insurance payout was generous). Seriously doubt that I will be thrashing around in this one at 170,000 km. Sh!t... the way I drive, I will probably be dead already.

This might be of use ... I actually know of a Thai Guy, who speaks excellent English, who sells Fords. He actually phoned me up today asking if I was still interested in a Wildtrak. He demo one for me months ago.

Apparently he has just changed dealerships in Bangkok, so he may be up for a reasonable deal as he is new to that company and would want to get his sales figures up. I didn't ask which dealer he is at now but I have his phone number ... PM me if interested.

Thanks. I think I'm on the home stretch now, but I'll keep a note of this in case I need to explore other options.

Am so impressed with the Everest that we will be getting the 3.2 Ranger WT for the wife in about 6 months time.

It sure does grow on you huh? (the EV that is) I've been using it for my commute again this week, and it seriously has me thinking of selling my normal daily driver and banking the money until the new GLS arrives wink.png

Edited by IMHO

I replied to many of the posts individually, but just wanted to say a general thanks for all the great replies.

I've decided to buy the Wildtrak, now just need to decide 2.2L or 3.2L and 4wd Vs 2wd.

My original thinking was if I went for the 2.2 it would be 2wd as little point having an underpowered 4wd. Then IMHO mentioned the new engine system, and checking on the ford.co.th site I see the 2.2L has been improved from 150 PS to 160 PS. Is it safe to assume that most comments here about the 2.2L are based on the older 150PS engine? I ask because the comments are already generally favourable, so with the extra 10PS, I think the 2.2L with be more than enough, and more economical to run.

However, lack of clarity in the standard features versus optional features is complicating the issue. The Ford website says the 18" wheels and reversing camera (and some others) are a feature of the 3.2L model. Yet the model I saw in the showroom was 2.2L but had both of these features.

The conversation at the showroom was already very difficult, and I doubt I'll get all the features I want unless I can get good information first about which models come with which features. But the spec sheets and brochures are all in Thai.

Yes, it's safe to assume most people will be referring to the old spec 2.2L - except maybe JaseTheBass - I think he has the new version 2.2L WT?

This link should help you figure out what's included and what's not:

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models#step=1

As for 2.2L vs 3.2L: take a test drive - that should help settle it smile.png

Thanks. For convenience I summarise the differences below. This assumes the Ford.co.th site has the correct specs. There was an obvious error on the leg room so I guess other errors could be in there too.

Note this is for the three Auto Transmission Widltraks

- Only the 4wds have HDC - Probably obvious

- Only the 3.2L has 8 way power adjusted driver seat. The 2.2Ls have 6 way manual adjustment

- For parking/proximity sensors: All three have the reversing camera, but only the 3.2L has both front and rear sensors. The 2.2L 2wd has rear sensors while the 2.2L 4wd has neither. Maybe an error in the spec sheet?

- The 2wd model has a slightly shorter min turning circle, 5.9 vs 6.2 on the 4wd models (presumably meters).

Cheers.

After youve owned it for 6 months youll be the one telling us your horror stories about it and the non existing customer service in Thailand.

The problem with your post is that it was proved wrong well before you even started typing, LOL :)

We'll see.

Ford

On

Road

Dead

We'll see.

Ford

On

Road

Dead

What's that, pick 4 words, put them together and hope they make sense?

Maybe we can all try it? Start a competition....

We'll see.

Ford

On

Road

Dead

Can if you want however Ive already won because I dont own a Ford in Thailand.

Bought first 2.2 AT XLT in early 2012 after a 2-3 month wait. Traded in earlier this year for a 3.2 WT with only dealer prep delay of 2 days (in stock).

The only issues I recall during the +60,000 km on the smaller one was some lights failing on the dashboard speedo and tacho illumination, a low frequency 'hum' vibration from the aircon blower motor, a bit of a rattle from somewhere in the plastic radio/CD/climate control binnacle and the driver seat height setting always getting lower as I climbed in and out (fat ar5e and bad seat-height control lever placement). Apart from that, absolutely nothing major and all (4) services were done without any issues. The 2.2 had plenty power for my barging around highway and city and was great on the frequent Isaan-to-earth runs.

Done around 17,000 km on the WT since February and nothing causing me any grief yet apart from a bad week of numpties running up my ar5e during the summer. Solved that by replacing the stock back bumper with an MCC (Ban Bueng) combo towbar/step chunk of metalwork.

That many issues on a 3 year old truck with 60,000km is unacceptable.

Is that a dog I hear barking at something?

We'll see.

Ford

On

Road

Dead

Ignore him. I expect it's a feeling he already knows quite well.

We'll see.

Ford

On

Road

Dead

Ignore him. I expect it's a feeling he already knows quite well.

It's fine. My wife has already checked my birthday to see what colours will keep me safe. And no doubt it will be given an impenetrable Buddha bubble too.

In retrospect you are right. These non-issues are right up there with the failing injector seals, warped front brake discs and rear suspension disintegration associated with the highest selling pickup truck with the lowest depreciation in Thailand .

DELETED

We have had 7 different Fords in Thailand since 2004.

A couple of these were in the stable for 7 years.

Some got to ~400,000 km before selling.

Currently have 3 from 1 month to 5 years old.

No major problems (apart from self inflicted ones).

According to the posts on TV, we appear to have been incredibly lucky.

Is that a dog I hear barking at something?

Might be your neighbours dog. Nip outside and check.