Online business opportunities, some advices needed

Hey guys,

My friend is planning to come to Thailand in early 2016,

He was asking me about selling products online, such eBay, amazon,

I have no any idea about this kind of business,

have anyone of you foreigner guys done this before? is it profitable? how much investment that he needs?

How to make his residency papers, I warned him about the matter of visa is getting tougher, and he should get a work permit to be eligible to work in Thailand, not sure about online business stuff or he needs to establish a normal company first?

Any shared experiences, advises and helpful comments will be very much appreciated,

PS: kindly no sarcasm or such meaningless replies, if have sometimes to share positively will be appreciated,

1. Any work undertaken in Thailand requires a Work Permit.

2. Work permits are not available for the type of work your friend wishes to do.

3. Establishing a company requires Capital and the employment of four Thai people

4. Residency would not be an option for your friend unless employed by a Thai Company , paying Thai taxes for three consecutive years.

Plenty of foreigners do it, actually it isn't explicitly illegal because the Alien Labor act doesn't refer to work done online that doesn't take jobs from Thais, is in a foreign currency, and has no physical presence in Thailand. Instead it refers to 'employment' with a 'Thai employer' and mentions Thai Baht 'wages'.

Amazon would be more profitable than ebay nowadays. Many internet marketers here, on all kinds of visas, and no one's ever been prosecuted for remote working without a permit. The fact that you can't secure a work permit for it shows that it isn't even considered as working IN the country.

Plenty of foreigners do it, actually it isn't explicitly illegal because the Alien Labor act doesn't refer to work done online that doesn't take jobs from Thais, is in a foreign currency, and has no physical presence in Thailand. Instead it refers to 'employment' with a 'Thai employer' and mentions Thai Baht 'wages'.

False

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/Do-need-0145business-visa-work-online/1175

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/Is-uploading-videos-YouTube-considered-work/1532

With Ebay and Amazon you could make 10 years ago a fortune but times have really changed and I wouldn't do it again.

It would be better if you friend focuses on an eTravel business with good travel content, a couple of good hotels and also promote tours. I am doing it currently part-time and also it doesn't make a fortune but it is enough to have a good life in Thailand.

Send me a PM if you need more details.

With Ebay and Amazon you could make 10 years ago a fortune but times have really changed and I wouldn't do it again.

It would be better if you friend focuses on an eTravel business with good travel content, a couple of good hotels and also promote tours. I am doing it currently part-time and also it doesn't make a fortune but it is enough to have a good life in Thailand.

That sounds a good idea. I've been writing web content for Cabo Roig on the Costa Blanca for a freelance project all day.

That sounds a good idea. I've been writing web content for Cabo Roig on the Costa Blanca for a freelance project all day.

We wrote a lot of content for Spain including the Canary Islands, Madrid, Malaga etc, as Spain generates a large numbers of visitors annually.

False

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/Do-need-0145business-visa-work-online/1175

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/Is-uploading-videos-YouTube-considered-work/1532

I've read those links before in other threads on this topic, of which there are many going back years. Asking the opinion of two guys (in Phuket no less) still doesn't make it explicitly illegal. I'd agree it isn't explicitly legal either, it's in a grey area. Note they use words like 'could be considered work' and 'we'd need detailed information on the foreigner before taking action'. A judge would have the final word, and one has never prosecuted a digital nomad in Thailand (or any judge anywhere in the world for that matter).

thanks for all the comments guys,,

so what is the best alternative recommendation?

is there any lucrative investment field? out of stock market he is not interested to invest in capital market,

He worried to establish a company with 4 Thais to be involved with him (according to the laws),

where to find trusted people? he asked, what if they do some cheating as long as they will be nominated to own 51% of the company?

Anyone had a such negative experience, or heard about such thing happened before?

Appreciate your comments and replies with many thanks in advance,

thanks for all the comments guys,,

so what is the best alternative recommendation?

is there any lucrative investment field? out of stock market he is not interested to invest in capital market,

He worried to establish a company with 4 Thais to be involved with him (according to the laws),

where to find trusted people? he asked, what if they do some cheating as long as they will be nominated to own 51% of the company?

Anyone had a such negative experience, or heard about such thing happened before?

Appreciate your comments and replies with many thanks in advance,

Is there a "lucrative investment" anywhere in the modern world ? Only if you are Warren Buffett !

Your friend can however invest 10 million baht in new Condominium. Such an investment would enable an extension of stay.

Or he could invest in the Thai Elite program

http://www.thailandelite.com/job.php