Drones in Thailand

Carlosm

I live in a remote part of Thailand with big wide open spaces making it perfect for flying drones when such as fishing etc. So i did some research for a FPV (first person view) drone under $150. Thinking all i needed to do is type 'best drone under $150' into a search engine and bingo, there's the answer.... NOT ! The ammount of variations makes and models blew me away and the reviews depending on who you listened to varied dramatcally.

So, who has a FPV drone costing under 4,500 baht and what do you think of it ? Plus any recommendations etc would help.

Have looked on the web using Lazada, banggood and cdiscount to buy one and they have a huge selection making the choice even harder to narrow it down. Any help choosing would be greatly appreciated.

From what I understand the most important rule is "It is forbidden to fly closer than 30 meters to people, vehicles or buildings" As for a number of activities, Thailand is a pretty relax country and you can do as you please as long as you don't annoy your neighbors. Common sense applies which means we can expect a number of thread such as "I was just minding my own business watching my neighbor's daughter in her shower when I got beaten up senseless by her angry father". TiT (This is ThaiVisa)

From what I understand the most important rule is "It is forbidden to fly closer than 30 meters to people, vehicles or buildings" As for a number of activities, Thailand is a pretty relax country and you can do as you please as long as you don't annoy your neighbors. Common sense applies which means we can expect a number of thread such as "I was just minding my own business watching my neighbor's daughter in her shower when I got beaten up senseless by her angry father". TiT (This is ThaiVisa)

As long as you don't annoy your neighbors? You sure you live in Thailand? Let me play karaoke full blast at 5 am while I burn tires when the wind is blowing your direction.

As long as you don't annoy your neighbors? You sure you live in Thailand? Let me play karaoke full blast at 5 am while I burn tires when the wind is blowing your direction.

Don't you think you over react ? So your neighbors like to start the day early. Think positive, early bird get the worm. Just do your morning gym and thank your neighbors for providing the music. Sabai sabai, you won't last long with this kind of mentality, don't forget high blood pressure is a leading cause of death in the western world.

As ever, Richard is on the pulse but unfortunately there's still no definative answer from the Thai authoroties. Been down to the Amphur and the police station.... its all a grey area ! Seems everyone is sitting on the fence, they basically said if i dont upset anyone flying it then its o.k. .... but if you do .... errrrr, we dont know what we'll do !

Don't you think you over react ? So your neighbors like to start the day early. Think positive, early bird get the worm. Just do your morning gym and thank your neighbors for providing the music. Sabai sabai, you won't last long with this kind of mentality, don't forget high blood pressure is a leading cause of death in the western world.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning anyway. See I am also friendly like that. :)

If you're a beginner, buy a cheap model first. You should pay a special attention to the availability (and cost) of spare parts. These "toys" are not as easy as it looks to fly and you will crash a lot of time before you manage to master a steady flight

Completely disagree. My first drone, a DJI Phantom 3 is GPS and magnetically stabilized, with all common controls coming from an app on my iPhone. It's an order of magnitude easier to fly than one of those $100 Chinese drones, with auto-takeoff, return to home and auto-landing.

And before the "it takes the fun out of flying" comments - I use it for it's still and video capabilities, so having assisted flying is a bonus when i am looking for that perfect shot.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're a beginner, buy a cheap model first. You should pay a special attention to the availability (and cost) of spare parts. These "toys" are not as easy as it looks to fly and you will crash a lot of time before you manage to master a steady flight

Completely disagree. My first drone, a DJI Phantom 3 is GPS and magnetically stabilized, with all common controls coming from an app on my iPhone. It's an order of magnitude easier to fly than one of those $100 Chinese drones, with auto-takeoff, return to home and auto-landing.

And before the "it takes the fun out of flying" comments - I use it for it's still and video capabilities, so having assisted flying is a bonus when i am looking for that perfect shot.

The price is also not the same, a couple of hundred for the "fun" drones, USD 1,000 up for the professional ones.

Commercial aircraft are also full of state of the art computer controls, you still need to go through a lengthy training before being allowed in the captain seat. We had yesterday a flight training session outside Bangkok that included a "search and rescue" mission in a tall grass swamp. What goes up must go down and it can brutal sometime.

I realize that drones is the "thing " at the moment and I have no problem with that.

I am an ex model maker, flyer and model boat sailor myself so understand the attraction especially as these drones can carry cameras.

But please be careful

On the UK television consumer program "Watchdog" they highlighted the dangers of flying drones anywhere near people.

They reported on a case of a little boy who lost an eye when a drone bounced off a tree into the little boy and the spinning props slashed into his face.

One suggestion to make drones a little safer is to fit prop guards so the spinning props are protected. Unfortunately seems these prop guards are an extra and some people can't be bothered to buy and fit them.

Because of the dangers in the UK they are considering bringing in strict rules governing the flying of drones.

Just be careful out there thumbsup.gif

I realize that drones is the "thing " at the moment and I have no problem with that.

I am an ex model maker, flyer and model boat sailor myself so understand the attraction especially as these drones can carry cameras.

But please be careful

On the UK television consumer program "Watchdog" they highlighted the dangers of flying drones anywhere near people.

They reported on a case of a little boy who lost an eye when a drone bounced off a tree into the little boy and the spinning props slashed into his face.

One suggestion to make drones a little safer is to fit prop guards so the spinning props are protected. Unfortunately seems these prop guards are an extra and some people can't be bothered to buy and fit them.

Because of the dangers in the UK they are considering bringing in strict rules governing the flying of drones.

Just be careful out there thumbsup.gif

People should stick to some common sense rules, don't fly close to people, don't fly over others property and don't fly near any moving vehicle.

As for the OP, this is more or less what you can get with your budget: Q212G FPV quadcopter

I don't own one of those, but I have a micro helicopter from the same manufacturer and it's of good build quality and handles very well. I bought the helicopter locally, so I suppose it's quite possible that you may find that quadcopter in Thailand too.

In any case the "drone", plus transmitter, camera and monitor for less than 130 USD is as good a bargain as you could ever hope for.

A couple of days ago there was a guy flying a drone in the park where we take the dogs for walks.

He was flying it on the football field and had set up a few loops in the ground for the thing to fly under, very impressive and nice to watch. This thing made a noise like an angry wasp and it was FAST .

Walking the dogs passed the field we naturally stopped to watch as did several other people when suddenly the drone veered up (don't know if this was intentional) hit the top of a tree bounced off and smashed into the ground in several pieces at our feet, (My 7year old the dog and me)

I thought being half way across a football field would be safe but seems not. sad.png

The thing was pretty smashed up and have not seen him at the park since.

whistling.gif

A couple of days ago there was a guy flying a drone in the park where we take the dogs for walks.

He was flying it on the football field and had set up a few loops in the ground for the thing to fly under, very impressive and nice to watch. This thing made a noise like an angry wasp and it was FAST .

Walking the dogs passed the field we naturally stopped to watch as did several other people when suddenly the drone veered up (don't know if this was intentional) hit the top of a tree bounced off and smashed into the ground in several pieces at our feet, (My 7year old the dog and me)

I thought being half way across a football field would be safe but seems not. sad.png

The thing was pretty smashed up and have not seen him at the park since.

whistling.gif

Some racing drones can be pretty fast and difficult to control for the untrained pilot. And they are expensive too, smashing them can be costly.

I just bought a H6C, cheap THB 1,500, but a lot of fun to play with. And almost unbreakable. If you are an inexperienced pilot like me it seems to be the perfect machine to learn the basics before moving to faster drones.

post-207807-0-74359100-1449887285_thumb.

post-207807-0-00488300-1449887296_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you had any problems with stress fractures/cracks near the propellor blade mounting screws?

I ask as I planned to buy one but i read MANY reports of this problem so opted for the Parrot bebop2 without skycontroller as i dont need to go far and have 15rai of open land live in the country etc. All of them seem to have "issues" Parrot had/has wifi drop out dji has its cracks............. video on the cracking here

Archived