Travel insurance

james6

Hi , I have booked my flights to Uk for me and my 7 year old boy 2016 . Now i need travel insurance . When i was based in UK

i knew where to get but here i dont know so i am looking for recommendations from those who do know please. Also what i should check is covered. Any help would be welcome and appreciated Pete...

The thing to watch out for with Thai insurers is that in the event of a medical emergency you have to meet the bill and claim back, or at least try to, when you return. I found out the hard way when I was presented with a 600,000 Baht hospital bill in Singapore last year, the Thai insurers did refund me, but two months after I'd settled the bill when I was in Singapore.

There are a couple of European based companies whose policies you can buy online from Thailand http://international.columbusdirect.com/travel-insurance/single-trip-travel-insurance?countryOfResidence=THA and [url=http://www.worldnomads.com/ both these company's have a good reputation, and will settle directly.

I'll move your thread to the insurance forum where you might get more advice, you might also want to contact the Forum Sponsor based in Pattaya.

The thing to watch out for with Thai insurers is that in the event of a medical emergency you have to meet the bill and claim back, or at least try to, when you return. I found out the hard way when I was presented with a 600,000 Baht hospital bill in Singapore last year, the Thai insurers did refund me, but two months after I'd settled the bill when I was in Singapore.

There are a couple of European based companies whose policies you can buy online from Thailand http://international.columbusdirect.com/travel-insurance/single-trip-travel-insurance?countryOfResidence=THA and [url=http://www.worldnomads.com/ both these company's have a good reputation, and will settle directly.

I'll move your thread to the insurance forum where you might get more advice, you might also want to contact the Forum Sponsor based in Pattaya.

Thankyou But both have an age limit of 65 and i am a young 69 so it will have to be the Thai site who insure to 70 pete

The AIG premium table indicates 75 & 85 (Plans A,B,C, & D) years of age....Check it again. You have to pay first of course but they have claim forms that you can download and have the hospital fill out their portion.

Edited by johnh869

been traveling out of the states for over 47 years,

never had travel insurance

As I mentioned earlier I flew down to Singapore last year for a weekend, I wouldn't normally bother with insurance. A couple of hours before we flew my partner asked if I'd brought insurance, which I hadn't. At her instance I purchased a policy online for about 1,000 Baht.

On the second night of our trip I had a heart attack, my girlfriend called an ambulance and I was taken to Singapore General where l was resuscitated and operated on.

I was discharged from hospital a week later and presented with a bill in excess of 600,000 Baht, I paid this and was refunded by the insurer on my return to Bangkok.

I would urge everyone to purchase insurance and hope that it's not actually needed.

One thing that Thai companies don't seem to do is cover any pre existing illnesses following a risk assessment.

Following my heart attack I found it impossible to get cover here, whereas UK companies were prepared to provide cover once they'd assessed the risk, but I needed to live in the UK.