Thailand ranks 62nd out of 70 in English skills

webfact

I think that England, may be slumping. I think that Germany will be headed down fast as well

with all of the new arrivals. Sadly I even wonder how much longer Europe will have a Christian majority.

I am glad that Thailand only lets Thai people be Thai citizens, as at least it will not

be over run by some other country's people with all of their baggage, beliefs, and

problems.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where England ranks?tongue.png

Pretty well probably, unless pronunciation and grammar are a factor.

Depends were the sample is taken. In, say, Bradford, the rating would be very poor in English, but near the top in Urdu.

Sorry about the missing "h" in where. Slip of the finger.

Depends were the sample is taken. In, say, Bradford, the rating would be very poor in English, but near the top in Urdu.

Just in the interests of being pedantic, Bradford's Pakistanis (the majority non-British population there) are unlikely to be good at Urdu. Even though Urdu is Pakistan's national language, only 8% of people speak it as a first language (there). The Bradford Pakistanis are more likely to be fluent in Sindhi, Pashtu or Punjabi.

Which English is talked about?

Australian is very hard to understand. The easiest is American and Canadian. English from certain parts of England is hard and sometimes not to be understood.

Tha's reet lad. Me Thai's perfect in me 'ead It's t' accent wot buggers 'em.

Just in the interests of being pedantic, Bradford's Pakistanis (the majority non-British population there) are unlikely to be good at Urdu. Even though Urdu is Pakistan's national language, only 8% of people speak it as a first language (there). The Bradford Pakistanis are more likely to be fluent in Sindhi, Pashtu or Punjabi.

Nothing against being pedantic, in fact it is an interesting point that I was unaware of. In the long ago pre-PC days, we police officers simply assumed that Pakistanis spoke Urdu, Indians spoke Hindi, and now that they lived in England, they should all speak English. By the same criteria, I should now be fluent in Thai, but that is a long way off!

I wonder what % of TV writers can read Thai?

Malays Singaporeans Indonesians and Viets have already got the advantage of western script.

As Pinyin is taught in China the compulsary use of western script from now in Schools and in a generation issue solved, 150 years only 1 man knew hebrew,wiki cites

On 13 October 1881, while in Paris, Ben Yehuda began speaking Hebrew with friends in what is believed to be the first modern conversation using the language.

None of us could read once, a lot of racial stereotypes displayed here yet many very poor hillt peoples are fluent in more languages than many western educated monoglots

I wonder where England ranks?tongue.png

Pretty well probably, unless pronunciation and grammar are a factor.

Sorry about the missing "h" in where. Slip of the finger.

No need to apologise, there's no letter 'H' in the word 'Bradford'