Consulate In Penang Closing?

I do not wish to scaremonger, but a reliable type ex-pat has told me that the Penang consulate is soon to be closed.

Can anyone confirm or deny this rumour?

It will be a bit of a blow to me, 'cos Penang is a great place to visit......all that lovely food!!

... great place to visit......all that lovely food!!

are you serious? I find that is the most boring place on the planet and Thai Food is 100 times better! :o

Personally I did not hear anything about this assumed closure, but if they will, it is not a big loss there are other several options.

Cheers,

are you serious? I find that is the most boring place on the planet and Thai Food is 100 times better! :o

Penang is a lovely old city with interesting architecture and great Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food.

Pearls before swine! :D

Personally I did not hear anything about this assumed closure, but if they will, it is not a big loss there are other several options.

Cheers,

Perhaps you could confirm where these other options are now that other posters have experienced difficulty in obtaining repeat tourist visas in Vientiane, Hanoi, Singapore, Phnom Phen?

Penang is a lovely old city with interesting architecture and great Chinese, Malaysian and Indian food.

Pearls before swine! :D

Penang is the island, you're thinking of Georgetown, the main centre. It's not bad but the area around Chulia in general is grubby and the people are a tad gruff. Some good bars and cafes though and the rest of the island can be nice.

Cheers,

Perhaps you could confirm where these other options are now that other posters have experienced difficulty in obtaining repeat tourist visas in Vientiane, Hanoi, Singapore, Phnom Phen?

KL and Colombo?

Cheers,

It's better you speak for yourself. I really like Penang and doing visa runs to there. I like it so much infact that I'll consider moving there if the Thailand visa process becomes too cumbersome.

At least they welcome tourists in Malaysia and it's easy to get 5 year visas, not to mention 90 days free when you arrive.