Dr Samarn: Beer gardens are against the law

webfact

Dr Samarn: Beer gardens are against the law

164-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Beer garden is against the alcoholic drinks control law because the venue amounts to advertisement of alcoholic drinks but only the Excise Department is authorized to close it down, said Dr Samarn Futrakul, director of the Office of Alcoholic Drinks Control Committee, on Wednesday.

Dr Samarn’s ruling that beer gardens which are popular during yearend’s festive season are against the law have caused confusion among beer manufacturers which usually set up beer gardens to attract customers during the festive season.

Dr Samarn said that usually movie stars, singers and wellknown entertainers were hired by beer producers to promote their beer brands at beer gardens.

In the past, he said that health officials could at best seize beers from beer gardens but were unable to close down the establishments as that is within the authority of the Excise Department.

Citing the law, Dr Samarn insisted that opening beer gardens amount to advertising alcoholic drinks which is prohibited.

Meanwhile, Mr Piti Bhirompakdi, advertising manager of Boonrawd Brewery said in his Facebook page that he did not agree with Dr Samarn’s interpretation of the law and planned to seek clarification from the Alcoholic Drinks Control Committee.

A meeting was scheduled on Novemger 10.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dr-samarn-beer-gardens-are-against-the-law

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-05

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything's against the law theses days.

It's starting to become like blighty.

No such (petty, I need to justify my job) controls on alcohol in uk. If anything, it's going the other way. Though I agree, Thailand is losing the anything goes uniqueness in what made Thailand Thailand. Sad.

I guess all they really need to do is replace any umbrellas and signs with beer brands on them. Although until they do I think we as foreigners should set the example, respect the culture and raise the bar. Because that is where we will all be drinking if they shut the beer gardens down.

I guess all they really need to do is replace any umbrellas and signs with beer brands on them. Although until they do I think we as foreigners should set the example, respect the culture and raise the bar. Because that is where we will all be drinking if they shut the beer gardens down.

Good point. I really enjoyed my time in Kuwait (where all booze is banned), as me & every one of my buddies had a bar at our own houses.

We'd do the round robin, with one of the 8-12 of us hosting a party at least once a week.

Side Note...we all had either a Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean or Filipina wife as well, so the eye candy was always nice too!

Edited by jaywalker

While I am a beer lover - more precisely, a beer lover from Belgium, I do agree that the aggressive advertising for beer should stop.

And I do support anti alcohol campains.

But what this "official" is saying, is at best 19th century paternalism, if not 1930s fachism.

What aggressive marketing? Celebrities on Facebook?

Except beer gardens aren't against the law in the UK like they already are in Thailand. :)

However not so long ago a member of the House of Lords pointed out that in many areas the traditional pub on the corner was disappearing because of pressure from Muslim groups and Muslim councillors.

Except beer gardens aren't against the law in the UK like they already are in Thailand. :)
However not so long ago a member of the House of Lords pointed out that in many areas the traditional pub on the corner was disappearing because of pressure from Muslim groups and Muslim councillors.

They are also shutting down everywhere mostly because big franchised pubs and supermarkets are a fraction of the cost of a local village pub, and while I try to support my local (and I really enjoy their beer garden!), given the choice between paying £4 for a pint of Kronenberg or paying £4 for 4x 500ml cans of Kronenberg from the co-op next door and drinking them in the comfort of my own home, I often choose the latter.

While I am a beer lover - more precisely, a beer lover from Belgium, I do agree that the aggressive advertising for beer should stop.

But what this "official" is saying, is at best 19th century paternalism, if not 1930s fachism.

Yes, for example, and in general ALL aggressive, marketing.

The marketing that equals alcohol with happiness, often disguised.

The "you never drink alone" type marketing, the "real men" type marketing, the "drink and be successful" type marketing. The "hidden persuaders" type marketing.

I love beer, but marketeers that force their ideas on us are just as disgusting as this Doctor No.

Beer is one of the pleasures of life, not less, not more, it does not need to be pushed onto us.

Good point. I really enjoyed my time in Kuwait (where all booze is banned), as me & every one of my buddies had a bar at our own houses.

We'd do the round robin, with one of the 8-12 of us hosting a party at least once a week.

Side Note...we all had either a Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean or Filipina wife as well, so the eye candy was always nice too!

But it is not exactly fun to have to limit one's drinking to houses. I don't know about you, but I usually give importance to the atmosphere (and the variety of it) that I drink at. For example, beer gardens in Thailand (especially the one in front of Central World in Bangkok) have been my favorite places to drink at. I really really really hope that they won't be banned.

Yes, for example, and in general ALL aggressive, marketing.

The marketing that equals alcohol with happiness, often disguised.

The "you never drink alone" type marketing, the "real men" type marketing, the "drink and be successful" type marketing. The "hidden persuaders" type marketing.

I love beer, but marketeers that force their ideas on us are just as disgusting as this Doctor No.

Beer is one of the pleasures of life, not less, not more, it does not need to be pushed onto us.

For the most part alcohol is banned from being advertised across all of Thailand. That being so I fail to see your point in this thread.

Now, the small Thais gone mad it even more. They are crazy. When they are at it, why don`t they close everything selling alcohol. All that is illegal is fun and then more crime will occur. See gambling here in LOS. If it was done legally, they would get rid of a lot of crime and I personally do not think that more would play.

But it is not exactly fun to have to limit one's drinking to houses. I don't know about you, but I usually give importance to the atmosphere (and the variety of it) that I drink at. For example, beer gardens in Thailand (especially the one in front of Central World in Bangkok) have been my favorite places to drink at. I really really really hope that they won't be banned.

Trust me, I most assuredly do agree with you that it is a matter of freedom vs DAMNED STUPID, but nonetheless, in Kuwait, EVERY bar I entered was full of my best friends only. On rare occasion I'd meet some new guy (and his ultra hot Indonesian wife which was nice...guys enjoyed meeting my rather attractive Thai wife as well and I enjoyed showing her off), and invariably, he'd be a super nice guy.

It was quite unique, in that nobody was ever a stranger for very long, and had all been vetted by a member of our "Club". We were all farangs, black Americans were welcome (I'm a white Floridian but who cares), Beligians, Swedes, French, Canucks, Germans, Brits, Irish, Aussie's.

One guy's wife was Colombian......WOW! She was hot.

We all enjoyed the eye candy, but never touched.

I say take this one to Munich, tape him to the bench at a biergarten and start pouring in the brew until he gives up his crusade. Who is he related to, must be some one in the army or he'd never be allowed to demolish the tourist trade.