Pai: British rape victim speaks up about ordeal

webfact

It might have been high risk behaviour but this poor girl isn't to blame - she's the victim here.

The article also says she was made to pay for her own rape test.

Of course she is not to blame for being raped. but when will tourist learn this is not Disney world and that cant do whatever stupid things they want with no consequences...

On that day they will stage the next Olympic Ski Jumping event at Thapae Gate...

Unfortunately, stupid people will continue to believe that 'freedom' means they can do anything they want, whenever or where ever they want, and expect the outcome to be just what they want. Then they become outraged when the Real World steps in and shows them the error in their thinking.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are the statistics that show it is so dangerous to be out at night? Kind of sounds like the boogie man in your closet.. Sure, it's where a lot of the bad stuff happens in movies, but is it reality? Ok ok, there are some really smart posters on here saying it is common sense, but sometimes intuition/common sense are different from what is really happening. In the book Freakonomics they showed that it is safer to drive home drunk than it is to walk home. How does that change people's view of the woman's actions?

No one is really talking about the Thai justice systems roll in all of this. What about the fact that there isn't much of an emergency response system in place? I have lived here almost ten years, and I have never seen a police car responding to a call. If I were to fault the woman for anything, it would be that she didn't use a smart phone to video the ordeal. I really think these devices are some of the best protection we have for a lot of situations.

I think you are condemed by your own words and I am not going to bother to keep feeding your ego its disrespectful to the poor victim .......

I don't have much respect for drunks, of any age and any sex.

Nor do I have much respect for rape victims that didn't make any effort to fight back.

If someone were trying to rape me, I would fight back, and I'd be sure to mark them up.

I think you are condemed by your own words and I am not going to bother to keep feeding your ego its disrespectful to the poor victim .......

Nor do I have much respect for rape victims that didn't make any effort to fight back.

If someone were trying to rape me, I would fight back, and I'd be sure to mark them up.

Which is precisely what virtually every police force tells you not to do if you want the highest chance of survival.

Which is precisely what virtually every police force tells you not to do if you want the highest chance of survival.

So it's no longer 'a fate worse than death'?

Why are you hijacking my replies to another <deleted> poster who can't tell the difference between offering sensible advice and blaming the victim in this case?

It seems to be that somehow you wanted to make a point that this poor girl was drunk and did not fight back, in which you are mistaken. So it is obvious then that you must have lots of respect for this girl, as she clearly stated she fought back and ended up covered in blood! Is that good enough for you, do you respect her now, or does the fact that she had a drink or maybe (like some other posters) because she is a lesbian, it will cancel out your respect for fighting and getting injured during the rape?

For someone with a young daughter to state "I don't have much respect for rape victims who don't fight back" is:

Going against the advice given by many police and concerned bodies throughout the world and would, as a rule, be very bad advice for your daughter; even if you teach her every Bushido move in the book.

Tempting fate. God help that nothing bad ever happens to your daughter, because you would not have any sympathy for her if she was drugged and overpowered or did not even know it was happening to her. What about Rohypnol, Ketamine, etc?

Or maybe you are such a control freak you will keep her locked-up for the rest of her life; or maybe like a nice young Thai girl who lived near to me who's mother was such a control freak she sat outside the school and university classrooms every day to keep an eye her; and the minute she left university and went to work where her mother could not go..........she got pregnant!

Your last comment is so utterly pathetic it does not deserve any reply, I can only suppose you are yet another Walter.

If I were you, I would start to teach your daughter what to do if the worst ever happened to her (like the brave victim in this case). This girl survived, many do not or are horribly injured and completely traumatised. All parents have a duty to do their best to make sure their kids have the knowledge to survive in a tough world.

Above all, all parents have a duty to ensure that if something bad does happen to their child, they will be supported and loved and not blamed because they did not fight back enough to satisfy their parents macho ego's.

So it's no longer 'a fate worse than death'?

What are you on about?

I know of a lady, who claimed that if she was attacked etc she would do this that and the other, so, one night her husband followed her usual walk home and grabbed her from behind to "test" her, She literally wet herself and did nothing! she was so terrified she said she felt unable to do a damn thing, and could then see, how some people couldnt react as they think they might.

Similarly, I was attacked/mugged in Bangkok, you think that if it happens you would do this or that, but again, when it actually happens, its a different thing. I had an 18 inch Machete placed across my neck, and I can tell you I did nothing, my life was worth more than fighting 3 against one in a dark alley with an armed assailant.

The point I am making with both of these stories, is dont judge, dont "think" about doing this or that, or they should have, because unless you have been there, in that type of situation, you have no idea what you would "actually" do, and neither did they.

Where are the statistics that show it is so dangerous to be out at night? Kind of sounds like the boogie man in your closet..

First you can read "Crime In The United States," the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program collects offenses for violent crime and property crime, broken down into various headings including time of day.

Next you might look at the paper entitled 'Simple Indicators of Crime by Time of Day' co-written by Felson and Poulsen for the School of Criminology, Rutgers University Press.

Then try "The Timing of Property Crime, Violent Crime, and Juvenile Crime," by Gottfredson and Soule

Then, you might look in general for the F.B.I. papers that report various crimes committed at each hour of the day.

I won't bother to list the other several THOUSAND documents that I found. The ones I looked at said basically say the same thing.

If these don't give you some idea, then .. it may well be you sticking your head in the sand pretending it's not an issue.

Similarly, I was attacked/mugged in Bangkok, you think that if it happens you would do this or that, but again, when it actually happens, its a different thing. I had an 18 inch Machete placed across my neck, and I can tell you I did nothing, my life was worth more than fighting 3 against one in a dark alley with an armed assailant.

Would you share with us the circumstance of your attack? At what time of day? Were you alone? Were you on a dark street or a lighted street with other people around?

Above all, all parents have a duty to ensure that if something bad does happen to their child, they will be supported and loved and not blamed because they did not fight back enough to satisfy their parents macho ego's.

Don't you think the MOST important role a parent can play is to teach their children how to avoid getting into those sorts of situations in the first place? To teach them NOT to get into a stranger's vehicle in the middle of the night?

Of course any responsible parent is going to comfort their children in times of disaster. Disaster can strike no matter what precautions are taken. But we teach our children not to stand under a tree during a lightning storm. We teach our children not go swimming right after eating. We teach our children not to talk to strangers. We teach our children not to get into cars with strangers in the middle of the night.

Or at least... some of us parents do... We do so to help them avoid setting themselves up for a disaster to occur.

I guess others just pretend nothing bad can happen, then rant and rave afterwards about the inhumanity of it all.

The people who are blaming the victim for acting 'so incredibly irresponsibly' are similar to an IT guy that you ask for help after you forget your password to your computer..'Well, you shouldn't have forgotten your password. ' Or, 'you shouldn't have locked your keys in the car'. Thanks For The Help. These people and their super logic powers JUST ADD NOTHING to the discussion. It's particularly rude to be doing this to the victim of a rape. If she was shot in the head, is that what people would be saying? As others have stated, Thai police don't usually follow up on these sorts of reports, and the woman is seen as consenting to sex if she is simply out with a man somewhere. Why aren't the fingers being pointed at these obvious flaws, then someone who was trying to get home at night?

I wonder if the victim was a Thai lady and the accused was a farang, what would their stance be?

The people who are blaming the victim for acting 'so incredibly irresponsibly' are similar to an IT guy that you ask for help after you forget your password to your computer..'Well, you shouldn't have forgotten your password. ' Or, 'you shouldn't have locked your keys in the car'. Thanks For The Help. These people and their super logic powers JUST ADD NOTHING to the discussion. It's particularly rude to be doing this to the victim of a rape. If she was shot in the head, is that what people would be saying? As others have stated, Thai police don't usually follow up on these sorts of reports, and the woman is seen as consenting to sex if she is simply out with a man somewhere. Why aren't the fingers being pointed at these obvious flaws, then someone who was trying to get home at night?

I wonder if the victim was a Thai lady and the accused was a farang, what would their stance be?

A Thai lady wouldn't have reported it.

Out at 2 am and drunk, and alone with a man ............ she knows the score.

This story

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/ฺbritish-woman-raped-pai/

"Police later arrested Chanchai Intiang who admitted to police that he raped the woman."

"He claimed the woman told him to stop and then told him she loved him and then kissed him. This then lead to sex."

Suspect mistranslated somewhere.

Who can tell, not me.

"Hello!" My name is I.M. Victim. I believe I have the God-given right to go anywhere I want, any time I want, wear anything I want, and behave any way I want. The rest of the world MUST treat me the way I want, and conform to MY ideas. They have to learn to respect my rights regardless of the reality of the situation. If not, I will kick, scream, call names, and behave in the most awful manner, demanding that people change to suit me. These are my rights!"

The sad thing is... there really are a lot of people like this out there...

Yes she believed that she could go out and get separated from her friends and not get raped. How dare she?!? Who are you you horrible man!?!?!? And what was she wearing or doing that you think she deserved to get raped? What ideas did she expect anyone to confirm to her? She got separated from her friends and had no way of getting home and in your world it's alright to rape her? Read the story. He confessed to rape. Doctors confirmed she was raped. My god you are horrid! Please realize that she is reading your comments and think for just one second how she would feel when all she has done is report a rape. Does she deserve your abuse on top of that?

Don't you think the MOST important role a parent can play is to teach their children how to avoid getting into those sorts of situations in the first place? To teach them NOT to get into a stranger's vehicle in the middle of the night?

Of course any responsible parent is going to comfort their children in times of disaster. Disaster can strike no matter what precautions are taken. But we teach our children not to stand under a tree during a lightning storm. We teach our children not go swimming right after eating. We teach our children not to talk to strangers. We teach our children not to get into cars with strangers in the middle of the night.

Or at least... some of us parents do... We do so to help them avoid setting themselves up for a disaster to occur.

I guess others just pretend nothing bad can happen, then rant and rave afterwards about the inhumanity of it all.

You contradict yourself at every subsequent post..

Here is the latest:

ce her story has been told, there has been much interest, mainly by the British media, who have long been closely watching Thailand’s authorities grapple, and regularly fail, to professionally and compassionately deal with both the victims of rape as well as the international press. Today, this article referencing her CityNews story was published in The Telegraph and this evening the victim also came to CityNews’ office to hold a Skype interview with Andrew Drummond, the veteran British reporter who has been covering crime, especially British-related crime in Thailand for over two decades. Following death threats for exposing crime, he is now working out of the UK.

There appears to be an alarming process by which many foreign rape victims have to go through in Thailand. They are often vilified by authorities and the local press, they remain silent in the media, their voices going unheard and challenges they face unreported, and often their trails go on for so many years it is virtually impossible for them to continue to press charges.

More...

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/after-the-rape-how-a-victim-is-treated-by-the-press-the-authorities-and-the-very-vocal-online-commentators-3/

"Hello!" My name is I.M. Victim. I believe I have the God-given right to go anywhere I want, any time I want, wear anything I want, and behave any way I want. The rest of the world MUST treat me the way I want, and conform to MY ideas. They have to learn to respect my rights regardless of the reality of the situation. If not, I will kick, scream, call names, and behave in the most awful manner, demanding that people change to suit me. These are my rights!"

Aren't you one of those foreign 'police' volunteers.

Read the story. He confessed to rape. Doctors confirmed she was raped. My god you are horrid!

Maybe he confessed, maybe he didn't, but whatever he said, he said it in Thai not English and reported translations are often totally inaccurate, I doubt the reporter saw his Thai statement. Anyway as I previously posted, one line from the reporter said rape, one line from the reporter said consensual. How can you be so sure which was correct?

Doctors confirmed she had sex with someone, they didn't confirm she was raped, they weren't there and as far as I know there is no medical test to prove consent. There is no doubt she had sex with him, they both say that, so the DNA test was pointless. WE know they had sex, that is the only thing we know for sure.

Please, try and be a little sensible in your posts.

One final question for you .....

Do rapists often drive their victims home after the rape?

Yes she believed that she could go out and get separated from her friends and not get raped. How dare she?!? Who are you you horrible man!?!?!? And what was she wearing or doing that you think she deserved to get raped? What ideas did she expect anyone to confirm to her? She got separated from her friends and had no way of getting home and in your world it's alright to rape her? Read the story. He confessed to rape. Doctors confirmed she was raped. My god you are horrid! Please realize that she is reading your comments and think for just one second how she would feel when all she has done is report a rape. Does she deserve your abuse on top of that?

Another nice rant... made either without actually reading what I wrote, or worse, decided that I said something that I did not!

If you need to put words into my mouth to validate your arguments, you've lost the debate.

So please... show us just ONE post where it was alright to rape the woman. Just one....

Show us ONE post where I said anything about her clothing. Just one...

Show us ONE post where I said she deserved to get raped. Just one...

Either show us just one, or allow us to realize that you needed to make all that up just to validate your rant.

Aren't you one of those foreign 'police' volunteers.

No. I am not a member of the foreign tourist police volunteers.

Another nice rant... made either without actually reading what I wrote, or worse, decided that I said something that I did not!

If you need to put words into my mouth to validate your arguments, you've lost the debate.

So please... show us just ONE post where it was alright to rape the woman. Just one....

Show us ONE post where I said anything about her clothing. Just one...

Show us ONE post where I said she deserved to get raped. Just one...

Either show us just one, or allow us to realize that you needed to make all that up just to validate your rant.

You've already stated that she put herself in a situation to be raped. You've already insinuated that if a woman wears what she wants she can expect trouble.

Each to their own and I'm not going to bother arguing

A small minority here seem to be perpetuating the idea that a young woman drinking alcohol puts herself at risk of attack. This implies that sexual violence is in some way inevitable and it is women's responsibility to avoid it.

It makes the perpetrators of these crimes all but invisible.

Some short sited men have to get beyond this focus on women's behaviour regarding rape and shift it to the men who choose to commit these crimes. Because violence against women is not inevitable. Insinuating that the woman was at fault lets the perpetrators think it's fair game.

The sad thing is that there are people like you out there.

Archived