Taxis At Departure Level?

bubba

Ive not yet done a trip through Suvarnabhumi. I do travel a lot out of Bangkok and did too many to count at DM, and when coming back, I always grabbed a taxi on waiting at the kerb on the departures level. Not because I am too cheap to pay the 50 baht airport surcharge, but because it was always much faster and there were never any queues.

The question is: has anyone tried this at Suvarnabhumi? I know from the airport transport informational brochure that taxis are prohibited from picking up passengers after dropping off passengers at the departure level. I was hoping that enforcement of this was as "strict" as it was at DM.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive not yet done a trip through Suvarnabhumi. I do travel a lot out of Bangkok and did too many to count at DM, and when coming back, I always grabbed a taxi on waiting at the kerb on the departures level. Not because I am too cheap to pay the 50 baht airport surcharge, but because it was always much faster and there were never any queues.

The question is: has anyone tried this at Suvarnabhumi? I know from the airport transport informational brochure that taxis are prohibited from picking up passengers after dropping off passengers at the departure level. I was hoping that enforcement of this was as "strict" as it was at DM.

For what its worth my Thai friend tried in front of gate 1 of departure and the driver refused pointing to downstairs.

We only tried one.

There were no police or security or traffic personnel that we could see at the time (the access to the curb was blocked 3 rows deep of cars as bad as in Don Muang)

OK guess I can answer my own question now. I came back on Wednesday of this week and had no trouble at all getting a taxi from the departures level. He was dropping someone else, saw me, and nodded his head "yes", he unloaded his passenger, loaded me up, and off we went. There was at least one security guard within shouting distance, but no problem from him either.

OK guess I can answer my own question now. I came back on Wednesday of this week and had no trouble at all getting a taxi from the departures level. He was dropping someone else, saw me, and nodded his head "yes", he unloaded his passenger, loaded me up, and off we went. There was at least one security guard within shouting distance, but no problem from him either.

oh good.. will be going there in a few days time..

I'll be there in a few hours. Was that Domestic or Intl?

Cheers

O

I guess this is probably too late, but I was at international. I think it would really not make any difference since domestic and international are just a different set of doors at the same building.

Gawd it's funny... that something like this is SUCH good news to me!

Really I just don't want to mess with long lines and maybe a jaded staff.

I arrived at the new Bangkok airport on Sat, Oct 14, 2006. It was a long walk to the Immigration counters.

After picking up my bags and passing Customs who waved everyone through, there was a big placard that said 900 baht for taxi and 2,600 baht for Pattaya.

Passing the roped off area into the general lobby area, there were tall beautiful Thai girls who asked if I wanted a taxi. I looked for posted signs and saw something about a free transport to a Public Transport area.

I did not see a sign for public taxis. I exited the building and looked for a line of taxis or a taxi stand. I did not see any taxi or taxi stand.

Another tall Thai girl asked me if I wanted a taxi. I asked if it was a special taxi or a public taxi. She gave me a dirty look and did not reply.

I asked the guard at the door, where I could get a public taxi. He pointed to the far end of the building and downstairs.

At the far end of the building was an escalator without steps, like a ramp, that moved to the next floor below. My luggage cart had a brake. So, I pushed it on the escalator.

I got off at the next floor below and went out of the building. At the curb was a desk with a couple of young Thai guys. Behind them were over 20 taxis parked waiting for passengers.

One of the young Thai guy spoke to me in broken English. I replied, but he could not understand me. After few exchanges, he gave up and waved me on giving me a slip of paper that said extra 50 baht. I got a taxi.

Using the expressway, the driver paid two toll fees, 25 baht and 40 baht were the lowest fees on a sign next to the toll booths.

We got off on Sukhumvit near Soi Zero. My hotel was near Soi 6. The driver turned left on Sukhumvit and headed toward Soi 11 where he turned left. We circled back to Soi 3 and drove to Soi 4. He turned left on the driveway pass the Grand Sukhumvit Hotel until we reached the other side of Sukhumvit.

The entire ride via public taxi cost meter price, 50 baht for the airport, two toll fees, and a tip for a grand total of 400 baht. This is more than the 300 baht I used to pay from the old airport. Maybe taxi rates have gone up too?

GreenGrasser

I think you will find that it is a little farther from the new airport than the old airport hence the extra 100baht 2.50US. Hope it didn't break the bank!

Greengrasser found the AOT de-lux Limo sign for 900 baht into Bangkok 2600 baht for Pattaya these desks are on right side as you exit International B & C gates Level 2.

All taxis are on ground floor level 1 and two desks there will check your ride on the meter and there are plenty of taxis no queues now, checked today Monday 10 am. Pattaya was 1300 +50 tax + 60 toll fares. Hundreds of Taxis waiting at the Transport Centre waiting for call to come into Terminal. Yes prices have gone up with Petrol prices but still a bargain offer i think.

Going up to departures level 4 is not now needed it is hit and miss with drivers and not on meter price negotiable.

Edited by Boxer