Visa-Exempt entry denied at Padang Besar

Just want to share my experience so that it may help others. Last week at the border I was denied entry. Thai immigration said only 6 visa-exempt entries per year. I was told to get a tourist visa. My U.S. passport has 6 visa-exempt entry stamps during the last 13 months, and only 5 entries during last 12 months therefore I thought I would be permitted to enter. But no bah.gif. I'm retired and go to Thailand for tourism only. .

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand.

The land where each cop/immigration officer makes out his own rules.

same as mae sai , have an immigration officier wait outside the desk and see all passport of falang and see visa you can cross the bridge no visa go back your place ,

jacksam: "BTW , did you challenge his/her interruption of the "rule" visa exempt stamps and ask for senior io?"

Yes but it did no good.

ubonjoe: "Did you get a denial of entry stamp that states the reason for it under section 12 of the immigration act.
If no stamp it was not a legit denial of entry

No, they did not stamp anything on my passport.

Too: "What did you do then?"

I returned to Malaysia

Too: "What did you do then?"

I returned to Malaysia

I knew you would but what are you going to do now?

Are you going to apply for a tourist visa in Penang or

try another border for a visa-exempt entry?

but if he flew into Bangkok on a cheap air Asia flight from KL ,he wouldn't still be denied entry would he?

Probably not. They have follow procedures to deny entry at an airport. Only if they asked to see financial proorf and he did have it would there be a chance of being denied entry under section 12.

gk10002000: "Would like to know how many were immediate back to back"

Not sure what you mean by "immediate back to back." All 6 of my Thailand entries were visa-exempt & I have traveled to several other countries in last 13 months

Too: "what are you going to do now?"

Yesterday I met a G7-nation retiree who said he was not permitted to enter Thailand at Dannok/Sadao border crossing because he already had 6 visa-exempt entries in last 12 months. Thai senior IO suggested that he get a visa or fly into Thailand, as mentioned by Asiantravel & ubonjoe. I suppose I could fly albeit I'm in no hurry, and I plan to stay in Thailand for a couple of weeks only to visit Ko Tarutao National Park.

this border sucks;

I went with my Cambodian gf to Penang last june to renew her 1 year non b visa

she was refused as they changed the laws an Cambodians can only now get a visa for Thailand in Cambodia

Drove back an turned in her passport to the Lady immigration and she looked thru it an told us NO< to many stamps in an out, I explained she has a 1 year visa for past 2 years an needs leave every 90 days, Said NO< threw her passport back to me an turned and walked away. WFT>

Went and found the supervisor an explained the situation and he gave her a 15 days stamp in.

Wont ever use that border again.

Too: "what are you going to do now?"

Yesterday I met a G7-nation retiree who said he was not permitted to enter Thailand at Dannok/Sadao border crossing because he already had 6 visa-exempt entries in last 12 months. Thai senior IO suggested that he get a visa or fly into Thailand, as mentioned by Asiantravel & ubonjoe. I suppose I could fly albeit I'm in no hurry, and I plan to stay in Thailand for a couple of weeks only to visit Ko Tarutao National Park.

Sorry to hear that.

On your way to Koh Tarutao you can fly AirAsia from KL to Hat Yai

or Firefly (http://www.fireflyz.com.my/) from Penang to Phuket.

(I couldn't find any Penang-Hat Yai flight because it's too close to fly.)

You can also apply for a tourist visa at the Thai Consulate in Penang

to go back to Thailand by land. Maybe you should before Nov.13.

Edited by Too

but if he flew into Bangkok on a cheap air Asia flight from KL ,he wouldn't still be denied entry would he?

Probably not. They have follow procedures to deny entry at an airport. Only if they asked to see financial proorf and he did have it would there be a chance of being denied entry under section 12.

Is financial proof still B20K ?

Is there ever a problem leaving through these borders in the south or is it just coming in? What if one wants to travel to Malaysia via land and has no intention of coming back through via land, is this allowed? What proof would you need?

Is there ever a problem leaving through these borders in the south or is it just coming in? What if one wants to travel to Malaysia via land and has no intention of coming back through via land, is this allowed? What proof would you need?

Did exactly that this week. Entered via Padang Besar on a van from Hat Yai, flew back from Penang to DMK. No questions asked, passport endorsed with 90-day visit stamp.

Did exactly that this week. Entered via Padang Besar on a van from Hat Yai, flew back from Penang to DMK. No questions asked, passport endorsed with 90-day visit stamp.

What is a 90 day visit stamp?

What kind of visa do you have

You'd be alright when you leave Thailand via these border crossings in the

South unless you're overstaying or something.

I've exited the country through the Badang Besar, Sadao and Sungai Kolok

borders so many times no problem.

What is a 90 day visit stamp?

What kind of visa do you have

90 days is the standard visit stamp for Malaysia. I re-entered Thailand with a re-entry permit. Perhaps I was wrong in assuming that Thaiman was asking whether there are any difficulties in entering or leaving Malaysia.

Edited by Eff1n2ret

I wonder if you did go through the Padang Besar border on a mini-van

on the way to Penang from Hat Yai. I've taken mini-vans between these

two cities so many times but I've always gone through the Sadao border.

Maybe I just didn't know the mini-van service via Padang Besar.

Most of the Western nationals can get a visa-exempt stamp of 90-day

stay in Malaysia.

this border sucks;

she was refused as they changed the laws an Cambodians can only now get a visa for Thailand in Cambodia

Drove back an turned in her passport to the Lady immigration and she looked thru it an told us NO< to many stamps in an out, I explained she has a 1 year visa for past 2 years an needs leave every 90 days, Said NO< threw her passport back to me an turned and walked away. WFT>

Went and found the supervisor an explained the situation and he gave her a 15 days stamp in.

Everyone who works in this immigration office should be fired. They're making up the rules as they go along.

It's 100% unprofessional and reflects badly on the whole country.

• Like 1

this border sucks;

Everyone who works in this immigration office should be fired. They're making up the rules as they go along.

It's 100% unprofessional and reflects badly on the whole country.

Which immigration office are you wanting to fire people from ?

• Like 1