Why do some users of Windows 7 never get the upgrade via updates?

lostinisaan

Hello all,

I'm just wondering why some users do not get this sig a the taskbar that W 10 is available? One machine at school shows this message since many weeks but the updates never come in.

The other one was just reinstalled and a little bit modified. It ran on a XP copy before and updates were off. Now both machines are "up to date", but there's no sign of the Windows upgrade invitation.

I've successfully upgraded my own PC and one at school, both running W 7. I believe that the invitation upgrade seems to be much better and with less mistakes.

Is there any update downloadable to start this process? Am I right that the ordinary invitation seems to create better Windows 10 installations or is it just my opinion?

I just don't want to waste a lot of time by using the creating tool, etc.......

Thanks for any useful posts. Khop Khun La Lai.-wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

One of the requirements is that SP1 (Service Pack 1) must be installed.

Then you can (re)install the specific MS update KB3035583

Good Luck

smile.png

Got SP 1 installed on both machines.

Maybe MS ran out of cash, or they found out that too many guys like me you with fake programs have installed their flagship?

Thanks, your post brought me to this one: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html

And this one: ​http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.htmlfacepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I'm sure there will be many brainwashed M$ addicts that will point out to you that pirated not genuine Windows will not update.... Amazing how small brains are affected by M$ FUD.

Being a Space Kadet is burden enough, don't you think so? When I grew up, they taught me to think first and then talk.

But the times they are a changin'......facepalm.gif

Both machines are running 100 % genuine MS software.

Edited by lostinisaan

But to answer your question, you don't need the MS update to upgrade to Windows 10. You can download windows 10 Home or Pro ISO (32bit or 64bit), depending what you're upgrading from (links to MS have been posted in other forums here). Burn it to a DVD or a USB and run the setup.exe. Contrary to what the brainwashed M$ crowd here says, it will upgrade genuine, and non genuine MS Win 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10. I have done it, one instance on VMware another on a ThinkPad, it's all working activated and will update no probs...

Yeah, I know, missed many salary increases because I didn't toe the corporate line... FTA...

Don't know what my avatar have to do with being spaced... never ride my Harley while spaced....

But the F - ing avatar suppose to rotate... anyways... good luck Lost... if you need the links to ISOs I'll find them for you

Edited by SpaceKadet

I'm sure there will be many brainwashed M$ addicts that will point out to you that pirated not genuine Windows will not update.... Amazing how small brains are affected by M$ FUD.

Your avatar and name says it all about your post

Not really sure what you're insinuating here. Care to elaborate?

Your avatar and name says it all about your post

Not really sure what you're insinuating here. Care to elaborate?

Me either....i like your follow-on posts :)

Yeah, I know, missed many salary increases because I didn't toe the corporate line... FTA...

Don't know what my avatar have to do with being spaced... never ride my Harley while spaced....

But the F - ing avar suppose to rotate... anyways... good luck Lost... if you need the links to ISOs I'll find them for you

Thanks a lot for your time and consideration Space Cowboy.Cadet.

Are you one of the 1 %? I'm a bikeless biker, but time might heal my deep wound.

I've got ALL Iso files, the 32 and the 54 version, plus some other useful tools. But my opinion is that the best and well functioning upgrades come from the updates because there's a system check, some other important stuff, that makes sense to me.

My plan is to "make MS sends me the updates, checking all the hardware before and then doing the upgrade.I'm not really a freshy in computer technique and I love the freedom on two wheels more than anything else.

Sorry, if some words might have given you the feeling that I was trying to offend you. Wasn't my intention at all. Live to Ride. Ride to Live. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Worry not Lost, you did not offend me, it was all fun, and no, I am not the 1%.....

IMO, the ISOs are the proper way to go. It will evaluate what you need installed. Just like in the old times with Win XP or Win 7. You'll still need to get you PC manufacturers drivers for all the specific H/W, as the generic ones from MS are pretty crap.

Then again, what do I know about Windoze... I'm a Linux hacker...

Good Luck

smile.png

Maybe MS ran out of cash, or they found out that too many guys like me you with fake programs have installed their flagship?

Thanks, your post brought me to this one: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html

And this one: ​http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.htmlfacepalm.gif

Go into control panel. Click on the Windows Updates icon. Then click on, check for updates, or

on the left hand side menu, click, change settings.

Change from Never check for updates either to automatically install updates, or download updates but let me choose whether to install them, or check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Done.

I bought a brand new computer in Chiang Mai 2 years back, fitted with Windows 7. No disks supplied. I queried this but was told not to worry. I paid the same price for the computer as it was selling for in other countries.

I did not receive updates, and at one stage I had a warning from Microsoft that I was using a pirated OS.

Eventually I had a genuine copy of W.7 installed, all updates came in, and now I'm being asked to convert to W.10.

I don't see how or why vendors of computers here can get away with illegal Operating Systems. Greed maybe?

Good Luck

smile.png

Go into control panel. Click on the Windows Updates icon. Then click on, check for updates, or

on the left hand side menu, click, change settings.

Change from Never check for updates either to automatically install updates, or download updates but let me choose whether to install them, or check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Done.

Thanks a lot. Both machines are "up to date," including two additional language packs. I can click on to reserve the update for me a thousand times, but it's not doing anything. Both have automatic updates enabled.

I've installed the system and a lot of programs as well. So I should know about the updates. That ould have been too easy......

Might have the CIA watching me.

Edited by lostinisaan

I bought a brand new computer in Chiang Mai 2 years back, fitted with Windows 7. No disks supplied. I queried this but was told not to worry. I paid the same price for the computer as it was selling for in other countries.

I did not receive updates, and at one stage I had a warning from Microsoft that I was using a pirated OS.

Eventually I had a genuine copy of W.7 installed, all updates came in, and now I'm being asked to convert to W.10.

I don't see how or why vendors of computers here can get away with illegal Operating Systems. Greed maybe?

You didn't get a genuine copy of MS. They play a pirated program on, then they switch updates off. Some of them might work a few weeks, some a few ,months, when you switch them on. There're some great tools out there to check the computer's status.

The warning you received came from Microsoft, I guess somebody then use the so called WAT ( Windows Activation Tool) to get rid off the message.

I've never seen that a school, or any other government computer, (even those of the Immigration and police) are running genuine programs.

Saam Rue Deegwa Haa Pann, Tchai Mai Khrap? And god created the potato chip. Or was it Micro? Or both. facepalm.gif

Sorry, double post

Edited by lostinisaan

BTW, like your YT link Lost, a very young Mr Robert Zimmerman.

Did you know that Robert Zimmermann ( sounds freaking Germish, right?) play in a Western a long time ago? I prefer his songs, roughly speaking.

Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman (Hebrew name שבתאי זיסל בן אברהם [shabtai Zisl ben Avraham]) in St Mary's Hospital on May 24, 1941, in Duluth, Minnesota, and raised in Hibbing, Minnesota, on the Mesabi Range west of Lake Superior

Watch him in action...

A nice name Shabtai ( maybe Thai related) Zisis ben Avraham.

BTW, got two machines running \usaing the Media Creation Tool. I've got my 100 % cool W 7 backed up with Acronis and a Windows backup, which can easily be changed into an Acronis usable one.

If you have all backed up, better twice, what could go wrong? Really true, update update and update is the most important process when using a computer.

Even for Harley riders. Drive safe.....thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Already posted instructions in other threads so I'll just post hopefully helpful links in this one

Each link give a bit different approach to making sure all the required files are present to complete an upgrade process:

support.microsoft.com: The "Get Windows 10" app doesn’t appear in Windows 7 or 8.1

If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 but aren’t seeing the icon, this article will help you find out why, and if you can get the app.

PC Advisor: How to force Windows 10 update. Get the upgrade icon if it's missing from your desktop and install Windows 10 via Windows Update

HowToGeek: How to Upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 (Right Now)

Windows 10 upgrade tool. You can find the update download tool here. Select the correct version, 32 or 64-bit, to match your current Windows installation.