Offshore UAE - personal equipment restrictions?

WorriedNoodle

Hi Guys,

I've been asked to visit an offshore operation in UAE near Abu Dhabi and the local agent needs a list of personal items /serial # I plan to take? Is this normal and what are the restrictions on carrying items like a personal computer, smart phone from Thailand etc? Can these be confiscated?

Never been to this part of the world before so any feedback appreciated guys?

This is normal. Don't worry about it. Ive done this several time before. It can be for several reasons including your electronic equipment will be checked by the companies electrician to make sure its safe. More than likely the sparky will check that your laptop charger is not going to cause a fire and the like. All your electrical items will be checked, recorded and a sticker placed on them to say they've been checked.

Also it could be a customs declaration. What you take in to a country you must take out. Algeria is a nightmare for this as I have experienced before. I declared I had a camera with me and I left it on a remote Seismic camp in the middle of the Sahara Desert. The customs officer didn't want to let me leave the country without it.

Thailand don't give a hoot what you take out of the country, unless its baby tigers and things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is normal. Don't worry about it. Ive done this several time before.

I've still yet to go but now find out all personal equipment like laptops, smart phones, tablets are to be banned offshore for my project if the equipment contains a camera. I imagine it's hard to find any such equipment these days without a camera?? There is a process to go thro where the permit to carry this can be issued, but the client is saying it is so hard to get, that I would have to leave everything onshore!

I am not looking forward to this!

Aramco has the same policy, no cameras, put in place before every phone had a camera built in.

When checked at the dock the guard asked a van load of use if there were any CAMERAS in the bus, we all said no, he winked and on we went.

Depends who you get checking you and how hard they enforce it.

Seems like they've not just blocked personal equipment with cameras, but me as well!

I was told by my regular agent the UAE sponsor cannot get me a visa - I failed the security check! No explanation given. End of. I suspect the UAE agent has screwed up somewhere and blamed it on me - sat in Bangkok and never set foot in Middle east before!

Annoying thing is I spent a few grand getting certified for offshore. Lesson learned I suppose.

Archived