METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Why nobody speaks abput the ED Visa? I never applied for one. So it could be just another option.

Yes, ED visa for a long stay could be an option.

Do not go overboard Macwalen !

An Ed visa obtained within the region allows an entry limited to 90 days.

Any further stay is dependent on Immigration providing extensions of stay .

Time in Thailand is limited to a max stay of one year or less depending on the number of hours "tuition" booked.

I am sure you will correct any of my misunderstandings.

It is correct, students usually don't have a problem with extending their ED visa for one year and then a trip to get a new ED visa. One year continuous stay is long enough and then you apply for a new ED. It can be done for several years.
Mind I got my new ED (now from Walen)

And its 9 months in total.

6 months + 3

Its my 2nd one.

My first one lasted 15 months 12+3

Now apparently things changed. They doubled study hours so 12 got cut to 6...

I got same reports from friends from other schools.

I think its still possible to get 12 months but more expensive.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

BeefSlapper

"Mind I got my new ED (now from Walen)
6 months + 3

Its my 2nd one.

My first one lasted 15 months 12+3"

Where were these "Visas" obtained ?

1. There is no 6 month Ed visa

2, 12 month Ed visas are not obtainable in the region.

You I believe have never had more than a single entry 90 day Ed visa which was cancelled when you entered the country.

Perhaps Walen should include some basic education in his courses about the difference between "visas" and "extensions of stay"

So, no easy ride for UK nationals and £5000 is more than 200000 baht, maybe they don't UK farang anymore, easy way to deal with that, go somewhere else!

£5000 equates to approx 1300 Bht/day.over a 6 month period !

That for someone on holiday would have to cover accommodation, food, transportation etc, etc.

Guess they are aiming at the cheap end of the UK market.smile.png

I think you misinterpret the idea. What they are looking for is people stupid enough to leave about 275,000 baht sitting around in a bank account for six months earning minimal income, instead of properly investing it. Such people can be expected to be much more easily scammed than those who are more savvy with their money. Those who can afford to come, but more cost conscious, are not the target market the Thais are after.

Those who are genuinely wealthy will usually not have large amounts lying around for six months as cash, but can easily find ways to come if they have sufficient motivation.

Those who are genuinely wealthy consider 5,000 pounds pocket change, not a 'large amount' at all...

Most people who get scammed are wealthy, old aged and alone.

Can't imagine them shifting many of them.

Still though, number of genuine tourists affected, close to zero.

Number of hanger ons that cannot get a long-term visa but refuse to leave voluntarily, lots and lots.

As the Gen has said "Good foreigners in, bad foreigners out"

Oh, "genuine tourists"! Your kinds would pay gladly 5000 Baht for a "genuine tourist" certificate. Even better, make it a badge, so you could show it in go-go bars to your pals how genuine you really are!

Especially digital nomads must be really bad for the economy with their laptops in condos, spending thousands of dollars worth of money in Thailand every month. That is just so bad!

• Like 1

Number of hanger ons that cannot get a long-term visa but refuse to leave voluntarily, lots and lots.

Aliens have no birth-right to stay here.

If you are married to a local, have a child with a local, study here, work here, are retired here, are volunterring here, there are easy ways to get the appropriate visas and extensions no bother at all.

95%+ of tourists here don't even need a visa and simply enjoy the great V.E. that Thailand offers.

thumbsup.gif

As I've posted before, I'm potentially impacted by this if it means further tightening of the Visa Exempts.

I visit Thailand about 6-8 times per year, always on Visa Exempt, stays ranging from 3 - 28 days, always at least 3 weeks between visits (except for December 2014 when I visited 4 times in 1 month for a couple of birthday trips & meeting up with old friends who were passing through).

Rarely plan far enough ahead to get an SETV, but do visit the UK at least twice a year so would be happy to get an METV that would cover me for 6 months... Only I'm ineligible as I'm (self-funded) retired.

I'm curious as to whether I'm a "Good Foreigner" or a "Bad" one?

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

If you are married to a local, have a child with a local, study here, work here, are retired here, are volunterring here, there are easy ways to get the appropriate visas and extensions no bother at all.

95%+ of tourists here don't even need a visa and simply enjoy the great V.E. that Thailand offers.

thumbsup.gif

As I've posted before, I'm potentially impacted by this if it means further tightening of the Visa Exempts.

I visit Thailand about 6-8 times per year, always on Visa Exempt, stays ranging from 3 - 28 days, always at least 3 weeks between visits (except for December 2014 when I visited 4 times in 1 month for a couple of birthday trips & meeting up with old friends who were passing through).

Rarely plan far enough ahead to get an SETV, but do visit the UK at least twice a year so would be happy to get an METV that would cover me for 6 months... Only I'm ineligible as I'm (self-funded) retired.

You seem like a nice bloke tongue.png

One thing, why completely write off the chances of using METV? There are no clear rules for retirees so it could go either way. Personally I would bet money that if you prove you have enough funds they will give you the METV.

Any reason why you shouldn't be able to continue using visa exempt?

thumbsup.gif

You seem like a nice bloke tongue.png

One thing, why completely write off the chances of using METV? There are no clear rules for retirees so it could go either way. Personally I would bet money that if you prove you have enough funds they will give you the METV.

Any reason why you shouldn't be able to continue using visa exempt?

None so far, but they have been clamping down on them for a while, so am trying to plan what to do if it happens to me and (when announced) I thought the METV was going to be just the ticket [emoji106]

Haven't written METV off yet, I'll give it 6 months to see if the requirements loosen up or Visa Exempt remains viable, I'm just one of those people who like to plan for the worse & hope for the best :)

Oh & I am a bloody thoroughly nice bloke (said in a Harry Enfield "Tim nice but dim" voice :))... http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT6VmRkEVWAckAZPhEDN04;_ylu=X3oDMTByNzhwY2hkBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1447428369/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fm.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dNC0IJQ_s7No/RK=0/RS=TsuEVyvI8NWyErS8sDpBGC_9ccg-

Mc Walen, if I want to learn English, how long I can stay?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You can study one language for 18 months, after you need to change to another language and can study for another 18 months and so on.

wait, so I cannot study thai for 4 years in a row if I wanted to?

Relax guys. I just got good news. Don't ask me for the source. I won't name it. Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

I feel already sorry for the old grumpy farts who think they understand Thais and their mentality better then themselves. tongue.png

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 1

Relax guys. I just got good news. Don't ask me for the source. I won't name it. Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

I feel already sorry for the old grumpy farts who think they understand Thais and their mentality better then themselves. tongue.png

Thank you ...

A glimpse of hope?

Or are you just trolling?

do tell more

Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

Off course. Why not? They have no rules saying that no farang can get a METV.

Soo funny !!!!

Yes they do lol, we have been talking about this for 40 pages !!!

its the all point of this lengthy topic ! They said they only want Laotian residents.

I am laughing so hard lol cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Very soon we will read reports from farangs who got the METV in Vientiane.

Off course. Why not? They have no rules saying that no farang can get a METV.

Soo funny !!!!

its the all point of this lengthy topic ! They said they only want Laotian residents.

there are plenty of farang residents in Lao :)

Unless your source is a high ranking official at the Vientiane Embassy I don't believe you and doubt anyone else will either

• Like 1

Are you serious about the vientiane part of your post. BTW give us a break re grumpy old farts. Its boring and bit school yard stuff. Mind you is all you can say is ....from a source

Soo funny !!!!

Are you laughing so hard after Sjaak327 answer rolleyes.gif

Probably not, but all other members are laughing at you smile.png

Thousands of farangs living and working in Laos who can have this METV.

I got some news too:

Possible in the next 1-2 years VFS Global might handle more countries on behalf for the Thai Government including a possibility of accepting visa applications from residents in Australia (excluding Canberra), Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Thailand and Singapore are using already VFS Global for some countries but they want to stream-line it and would also get direct data access to most immigration records in Western countries (Australia, Canada, Schengen and the UK). Deportation orders of Indians and Bangladeshis in Thailand can now already be shared with other member countries of VFS Global.

As everyone will ask me now to offer my source, I will only pass it on to Ubonjoe and no one else.

• Like 1

BeefSlapper

"Mind I got my new ED (now from Walen)

6 months + 3

Its my 2nd one.

My first one lasted 15 months 12+3"

Where were these "Visas" obtained ?

1. There is no 6 month Ed visa

2, 12 month Ed visas are not obtainable in the region.

You I believe have never had more than a single entry 90 day Ed visa which was cancelled when you entered the country.

Perhaps Walen should include some basic education in his courses about the difference between "visas" and "extensions of stay"

My bad

Its 90 days visas as every other

Difference is my first one i was able to extend for 15 months total and current will last 9 total

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

I got some news too:

Possible in the next 1-2 years VFS Global might handle more countries on behalf for the Thai Government including a possibility of accepting visa applications from residents in Australia (excluding Canberra), Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Thailand and Singapore are using already VFS Global for some countries but they want to stream-line it and would also get direct data access to most immigration records in Western countries (Australia, Canada, Schengen and the UK). Deportation orders of Indians and Bangladeshis in Thailand can now already be shared with other member countries of VFS Global.

As everyone will ask me now to offer my source, I will only pass it on to Ubonjoe and no one else.

I don't think many people are interested in something that may happen in 2 years time and probably will not affect them anyway

Oops !

No ones is asking ...

It does not seem to interest anyone....

What to ask, if I don't give my source.

The next 2 years will get very interested on how Thailand will process visa applications and if they outsource it completely it will benefit the country on the long term.

Soo funny !!!!

Are you laughing so hard after Sjaak327 answer rolleyes.gif

Probably not, but all other members are laughing at you smile.png

Thousands of farangs living and working in Laos who can have this METV.

Laughing is the best thing in the world and I thank you for having making me laugh.

I would be delighted if I made other people laugh too.

Please be my guest.

I haven't seen one rumour from an un-named source posted on this forum come true yet!

But it's entirely possible that a "farang" qualifies for the METV from Laos if they have a Lao stay permit or work permit or house registration and ID and a have Lao employer. I'm sure many qualify.

• Like 1

wow, so cares , i just got my permanent residency card for free, sorry cant post the source LOL

no source,

it did not hapen