METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Again ill say- It is only useless if you expect to live in Thailand continuously on the cheap on tourist visas

But its easy to ser what will happen. Every Tom Dick and cheap Charlie will be getting back to back SEs from Vientane so they dont have to fly home

Then Thai immigrations will again crack down on back to back SEs and that will spell the end for everyone

There is already a limit on back to backs from Laos and there is still the possibility to apply for METV in Malaysia and Srilanka.

Again ill say- It is only useless if you expect to live in Thailand continuously on the cheap on tourist visas

But its easy to ser what will happen. Every Tom Dick and cheap Charlie will be getting back to back SEs from Vientane so they dont have to fly home

Then Thai immigrations will again crack down on back to back SEs and that will spell the end for everyone

There is already a limit on back to backs from Laos and there is still the possibility to apply for METV in Malaysia and Srilanka.

Both Malaysia and Sri Lanka require EVIDENCE of employment !

I doubt that "professional visa runner" will meet the employment critera

• Like 1

Both Malaysia and Sri Lanka require EVIDENCE of employment !

I doubt that "professional visa runner" will meet the employment critera

Depends of each situation... You have many self employed people who can easily prove employement

Anyway most embassies in Europe (except UK -they still need english teachers on METV) also require the same proof of employment so I don't see the point of going home.

same same so might as well save me the trip.

Also in the region many embassies don't apply what they write on website...so let's see...

• Like 1

"There is already a limit on back to backs from Laos and there is still the possibility to apply for METV in Malaysia and Srilanka"

We were in the Thai Consulate in Penang this morning and they told us that METVs are ONLY for Malaysian residents.

Yes but it's not the case for KL

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

"There is already a limit on back to backs from Laos and there is still the possibility to apply for METV in Malaysia and Srilanka"

We were in the Thai Consulate in Penang this morning and they told us that METVs are ONLY for Malaysian residents.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18989-Required-Documents.html

There is no way non-nationals or non-residents will get the METV from KL or Sir Lanka.

You can't go purely by what is on the websites. They are notoriously wrong/incomplete/out of date the world over.

Applicant from any of the listed countries must have Permanent Residence in Malaysia.

Think you read it wrong. Looks like we only find out what is actually possible when people start making the trips to Thai embassies around SEA in a few days.

I await the reports

There is no way non-nationals or non-residents will get the METV from KL or Sir Lanka.

You can't go purely by what is on the websites. They are notoriously wrong/incomplete/out of date the world over.

So we don't believe what they say for Vientiane either then?

You cannot make the all tourist visa population shake over the Vientiane announcement for 30 pages, and then, when faced with another announcement (updated because they clearly it's about METV on both websites) say it cannot be trusted.

• Like 2

Hope you're right but my money would be on them not having completely updated their site as KL is renowned for being non-Foreigner friendly when it comes to TVs...

Also, the same page asks for :-

6. Supporting documents, i.e.,

6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or

6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.

If I had 6.1 I'd be applying for an ED Visa, if I had 6.2 I'd be applying for a non-O M

Edited by JB300

It's easy guys. All the consulates and embassy's have no clue about the new visa. They never got informed. Even the MFA by itself is completely unsure about it.

Now; some consulates decides to post some requirements. They want be sure, they don't miss something. So they put all the shit on to their website. I wonder that they not ask for health insurance, police report, health report and so on.

So, as soon MFA will inform their consulates about the final requirements, the consulates will update again. Until then, we don't know.

On the other hand, there is still 2 days left. Plenty of time. (ironic)

The best would be to close all the topics here. I would bet, someone could call MFA and ask them about METV requirements. The answer will be: Mai luuuu. That Is Thailand.

So much panic here. For nothing.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 2

I think the idea behind that is that KL being the capital, they (like they are doing in Indonesia with Jakarta) will probably have a team trained to scrutinize documents and check their validity, as opposed to local consulates where staff will be more "clueless" and easy to lure.

Hope you're right but my money would be on them not having completely updated their site as KL is renowned for being non-Foreigner friendly when it comes to TVs...

Also, the same page asks for :-

6. Supporting documents, i.e.,

6.1 Letter from the school/college/university certified by authorized school director and affixed by the seal of the school/college/university. or

6.2 Letter from the spouse and copy of marriage certificate and spouse’ identity card.

If I had 6.1 I'd be applying for an ED Visa, if I had 6.2 I'd be applying for a non-O M

I know it looks very amateur. lol

Its like they making these up as they go along lol

• Like 1

You cannot make the all tourist visa population shake over the Vientiane announcement for 30 pages, and then, when faced with another announcement (updated because they clearly it's about METV on both websites) say it cannot be trusted.

I can because of the reasons given. Just apply common sense!

You want it to be true, and are simply clutching at straws and giving others false hope. I don't care one way or the other so I can look at it objectively. It is beyond doubt that the MFA want to the METV to be issued from home countries or countries the applicant is officially resident.

• Like 2

As many have stated, Consulates dont always apply all the requirements listed on their websites.

Example being return air tickets and proof of funds.

Often if you ring them beforehand they tell you not to worry about such things.

I think (hope) the employment certificate will also be discreetly un-enforced.

If it were the case they would be excuding all tourusts who are retirees and those well off enough to not have to work.

If this is followed to the letter of the law then people in my position (over 50 not working) would be excluded in having a medium term stay but instead would have to be content on either 3 months, or elite visa, or retirement.

I dont believe they will exclude such a large demographic of the tourist market as the rich and those that dont work illegally are the very people they say they are wanting to attract.

Over 50, not working, money to spend......

we are not quality tourists anymore?

• Like 1

You want it to be true, and are simply clutching at straws and giving others false hope. I don't care one way or the other so I can look at it objectively. It is beyond doubt that the MFA want to the METV to be issued from home countries or countries the applicant is officially resident.

Well future will tell...

But now is a good time to remind you I was the only to smell a rat and not to rejoice at the announcement of METV months ago.

So it seems that I was the one to have "common sense" then. When everyone -including you,- were applauding with both hands at the soon to be METV, I was called a pessimist for predicting bad news.

Now I am called delusional, I don't really care anymore, but it does not need to be personal, I am just putting links from embassies, it's not like I'm making anything up.

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 2

The quest for quality tourists has finally taken a turn in a positive direction.

People living in Thailand on tourist visas for a long time can hardly cry about the government destroying their 'lives' - anyone ignorant enough to invest their entire existence in a country on a temporary visa is hardly worth any sympathy.

If they are married, or a parent of a Thai national they can easily obtain non-immigrant visas.

What else would count as a 'life': Owning stuff? Wanting to be with your friends? Enjoying sunshine? No tax? whistling.gif

Requirement of documents for the METV .

When applying for Thgai Visas, there are two types of documents required .

Category A and category B

Category B documents are the ones that are only required to be provided when asked, like flight tickets , hotel bookings and the like .

Category A documents are the ones that everyone has to provide at every Embassy if they apply for certain visas , like marriage certificates, birth certificates and the like .

The question is : When applying for the METV, which category will the proof of employment be in ? A or B .

Also, will the "only available to locals" be adhered too ?

Initially, almost definitely,

Will the rules later be relaxed ?

Possibly ,

But considering that the METV seems to be to stop people staying long term on tourist visas , they probably wont be .

The only thing that we can hope for is if they do a complete U-turn and make the METV available in the same way that DETV were , but this is unlikely to happen , unless tourist numbers plunge, which they probably wont do .

What we hope they wont be doing is to restrict the SETV , that would be game over, for some of us

• Like 2

People living in Thailand on tourist visas for a long time can hardly cry about the government destroying their 'lives' - anyone ignorant enough to invest their entire existence in a country on a temporary visa is hardly worth any sympathy.

Although, you can only live by the rules that are in place at the time .

Before people were allowed to stay in Thailand unlimited , so that is what you planned by.

Its the drastic change of rules that have caught people out .

Which, Thailand is well withing their means to do so .

I havent seen people "crying" or clamming that the "That Gov is destroying their lives" on here , maybe you have seen that, but I havent .

• Like 2

Agree with you luke. I have been saying that the metv is dumb and suits very few. Of course that wont be the case if the METV becomes available in nearby consulates without the requirement to be resident.

The other complaint is the concept that it could never be invisaged that people might choose to obtain these back to back ongoing. That would of been obvious at time of making rules re setv. If they limit how many you can have later on, then just shows lack of forsight in first place

And lets not forget in the past ToT like to boost the tourist numbers by tallying up the foriegners running out/in of borders with DEs.

When the numbers come in and they are WAY down they will be clueless as to the real reason as they never did differentiate between tourists and border runners.

You will have these pooyai immigration guys making all and sundry excuses, the lower ones running around like chooks with their heads cut off wondering why the numbers are down......

Then they will appoint some committee who will probably take months before some guy has to go to his boss and say

"Sorry Sir but the good news is-the numbers were always fudged as we have always counted those pesky border-runners as real tourists.

the bad news is-now that the pesky border runners arent coming we cant fudge the figures and there is xxxxx million baht of foriegn money no longer coming into the country"

Then another committee and a few more months before they realise the new METV laws made xx% of "tourists" fly home and not come back.

som num nah lol

• Like 2

Well future will tell...

But now is a good time to remind you I was the only to smell a rat and not to rejoice at the announcement of METV months ago.

So it seems that I was the one to have "common sense" then. When everyone -including you,- were applauding with both hands at the soon to be METV, I was called a pessimist for predicting bad news.

Now I am called delusional, I don't really care anymore, but it does not need to be personal, I am just putting links from embassies, it's not like I'm making anything up.

What rat was it that you smelt? And why have you gone from smelling a rat to trying to interpret everything that remotely constitutes hope that the METV will be available locally to Thailand.

Posting information from the embassies and consulates is a good thing. The problem is that you include claims/interpretation that are not true/wrong or that need clarification.

anyone ignorant enough to invest their entire existence in a country on a temporary visa is hardly worth any sympathy.

If they are married, or a parent of a Thai national they can easily obtain non-immigrant visas.

Newsflash!

There is a reason they been called "Non-Immigrant"

They don't give you the rights to stay here forever.

You have to get a new visa/extension every year wink.png

You can only stay here forever, if you gained thai citizenship, or have permanent residency.

• Like 2

Agree with you luke. I have been saying that the metv is dumb and suits very few. Of course that wont be the case if the METV becomes available in nearby consulates without the requirement to be resident.

The other complaint is the concept that it could never be invisaged that people might choose to obtain these back to back ongoing. That would of been obvious at time of making rules re setv. If they limit how many you can have later on, then just shows lack of forsight in first place

Personally, I didnt ever decide or choose to live permanently in Thailand .

I came here five years ago, just for a two month holiday .

I wasnt looking, but met a woman and stayed in Thailand to be with her .

Five years later, and Im still with her and we have a two year old boy together .

Would I have left her five years ago if I knew they would tighten up Visa regulations ? No

Some things, you cannot plan for .

• Like 2