METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Saying that KL and Colombo are accepting METV application from non-residents is not an interpretation, its just reading their requirements.

How is someone going to provide the following requirements in Colombo:

• 4. 850,000 LKR per person with the last 6 months of financial statement
  • 5. Letter of employment of the applicant

or the following in KL:

• 3. Original Letter from employer to certify the employment.
  • 4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.

You must be "interpreting" these requirements to include foreign employers and banks when common sense would suggest otherwise.

Given these requirements and the fact that both these embassies go against all others that have published METV requirements, clarification is needed before you can make your claim that either will accept applications from non-nationals.

1/I already answered that question.

It's exhausting.

KL is specifically requesting for FOREIGN DOCUMENTS to be notarized.

it's there a the bottom of the requirements.

Is that to hard to actually read the documents that people send you, instead of constantly trying to win some absurd argument?

it means they DO ACCEPT FOREIGN DOCUMENTS.

2/ Yes it does not say "we accept foreigners", but embassies have a minimum proficiency in English if they want to have residents only applications, they will ask for "resident only" and ask for proof of residence such as residence permit, like they do in most other countries

Saying that KL and Colombo are accepting METV application from non-residents is not an interpretation, its just reading their requirements.

or the following in KL:

• 4. Original letter for bank account confirmation from the bank and Bank statement.

You must be "interpreting" these requirements to include foreign employers and banks when common sense would suggest otherwise.

Given these requirements and the fact that both these embassies go against all others that have published METV requirements, clarification is needed before you can make your claim that either will accept applications from non-nationals.

It's exhausting.

Is that to hard to actually read the documents that people send you, instead of constantly trying to win some absurd argument?

2/ Yes it does not say "we accept foreigners", but embassies have a minimum proficiency in English if they want to have residents only applications, they will ask for "resident only" and ask for proof of residence such as residence permit, like they do in most other countries

or the following in KL:

It's exhausting.

We all look forward to the report of you successfully obtaining an METV from KL

Could you now give it a rest for a while ?

• Like 1

So, no easy ride for UK nationals and £5000 is more than 200000 baht, maybe they don't UK farang anymore, easy way to deal with that, go somewhere else!

£5000 equates to approx 1300 Bht/day.over a 6 month period !

That for someone on holiday would have to cover accommodation, food, transportation etc, etc.

Guess they are aiming at the cheap end of the UK market.smile.png

So, no easy ride for UK nationals and £5000 is more than 200000 baht, maybe they don't UK farang anymore, easy way to deal with that, go somewhere else!

That for someone on holiday would have to cover accommodation, food, transportation etc, etc.

No one does a 6 month holiday and gets time off work, you know it's to stop people from working illegally and staying long term in Thailand.

• Like 1

No one does a 6 month holiday and gets time off work, you know it's to stop people from working illegally and staying long term in Thailand.

My son, by combining his normal annual leave with his long service award could easily afford 6 months holiday whilst on full pay !

But I agree, the new visa will act as a deterrent to illegal working and staying long term on inappropriate visas

My son, by combining his normal annual leave with his long service award could easily afford 6 months holiday whilst on full pay !

But I agree, the new visa will act as a deterrent to illegal working and staying long term on inappropriate visas

And that is an exception, rather than the norm, the average person doesn't get 6 months off and if they did, their job won't be there when they get back.

By having this financial requirement for 6 months with £5000 in the bank, it is "som nam naa" as the UK has been implementing sufficient finances on visit visas for years, hardly going to help with tourist numbers to a third world country. I can understand the UK doing it as we are a G7 country with a benefit system and lots of black market jobs that attracts immigrants legal and illegal.

I said it before, I think a return ticket is a red herring if the METV can in fact be squeezed to longer than 6 months.

'A ticket out of Thailand' will do the trick, 600 Baht Air Asia ticket to somewhere, booked well in advance.

The METV is not meant for someone to stay here for 6 months. It's meant for someone to come and go during 6 months. That's why some embassies/consulates ask for an onward ticket after 60 days (1st stay). The clincher will be if they insist on return tickets or to any destination. Some websites are asking for "roundtrip" which I believe means return.

Yeah so does EVA Air but accepts Air Asia out of Thailand.

Return ticket won't work, 'tourists' want to go to to other SEA countries too after 60 days.

Let's hope that Non O and Non B visas are clamped down on next, go general go general go!

Let's hope whatever visa you are on gets clamped down on next, not for everyone just you

If you are not on a Tourist Visa then what concern is it of yours that they are being clamped down on?

This thread is full of people like yourself who for some reason seem to take great delight in knowing that these changes will affect a lot of people, sickening attitude

I really hope whatever visa you are on becomes almost impossible to obtain, i'm sure you will be on here whining about it then

• Like 1

Let's hope that Non O and Non B visas are clamped down on next, go general go general go!

Let's hope whatever visa you are on gets clamped down on next, not for everyone just you

If you are not on a Tourist Visa then what concern is it of yours that they are being clamped down on?

This thread is full of people like yourself who for some reason seem to take great delight in knowing that these changes will affect a lot of people, sickening attitude

I really hope whatever visa you are on becomes almost impossible to obtain, i'm sure you will be on here whining about it then

Single Non O in the past and in the future a single tourist visa, I don't need to stay in Thailand all year!

I am not on a Tourist Visa but, if things change, one day I could be if it suited my purposes. That's why it is a concern for me. Maybe just visit USA once every 8 or 9 months rather than every year to 16 months with a side trip to the Miami consulate.

One advantage of a METV would be that, if you are willing to only make 60 days, you might never have to visit an immigration office again. For me a 3rd class train ride to border is now 35 baht

BTW in any new Police Order that contained major changes to the extension of stay based on Retirement, there is often an exemption for persons who have been on continuous stay for a given length of time.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Looking at London requirements, I am wondering what will happen to all the kindergarten, primary schools, secondary schools and even universities that employ UK teachers on tourist visa.... Will the kids suddenly stop learning English?

Looking at London requirements, I am wondering what will happen to all the kindergarten, primary schools, secondary schools and even universities that employ UK teachers on tourist visa.... Will the kids suddenly stop learning English?

It will take time to filter through, the last double and triple entry tourist visas have only been issued this week. By the middle of next year it will become clear. A lot of schools employ Filipino teachers now, they are cheaper than farang and have degrees.

I can't see the government changing the METV requirements any time soon...

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

Here we go for UK travelers. I've just got back from the Cardiff consulate and manged to ask them to print this out. More details on my site on how I think people can run with this especially on the finances. I travel so much for my non Thai business that single tourists between trips would do for me. I thought I'd post the pic here too.

visa1080.jpg

Thanks John... Great information, even if it's not good news as it confirms a lot of our fears.

Oh well, METV is a bust for me (no employment as I'm a self-funded retiree), but as I'm a nomad (not a Digital Nomad but somebody who never stays in 1 country for longer than 3-4 weeks at a time before moving to the next 1 for 3-4 weeks), I'll just carry on using Visa Exempts until they say "No More", then look to see what the best approach is to being a genuine multi-entry Tourist at that time.

Applying for SETVs probably won't work as I tend to be spontaneous in my traveling & rarely book anything more than a couple of days in advance so had high hopes for the METV :(

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

JB300, you are a good example of huge group of retirees. Self funded and now wishing to travel. Those folk could easily wish to spend long periods in say asia. Thailand makes a great base with flights to so many places from bkk. METV would be maybe a good idea for many. So what do they do. Make it that you need a job to return to. Make so many stupid requirements that its useless befor it even starts.

Which visas is cambodia "tightening up on"

Also thailand did not tighten up. They removed two visa types and intriduced a non related useless metv. Suitable for exactly who. Will be interesting to see how many are issued over next 12 months.

when I was in Cambodia 3 weeks ago rumour of this was floating about everywhere. They are talking about the one year Visa that used to be referred to as a business Visa. Anyway their line of thinking at immigration is that no more such annual visas will be granted unless you also need for a work permit. In other words if you don't need a work permit because you don't have a business then they will argue you don't need a one year extension and you should only need a tourist Visa. This hasn't been implemented yet but when I was in Koh Kong I happened to be introduced to a retired immigration officer and he confirmed that there are going to be some big changes in the Cambodian Visa system.

When you have some facts to substantiate your rumor other than what's said by a retired immigration officer get back to us. Until then stick your rumors up your ... !!!

So, no easy ride for UK nationals and £5,000 is more than 200,000 baht, maybe they don't like UK farang anymore!

I doubt it. I wonder if they can think of anything by replacing

a double(triple)-entry TV by a new METV with the apparently

ridiculous requirements and if this new visa will work well.

They might be thinking of catching up with the Farangs or

even getting even with them by doing this.

They'll definitely be losing more money in the end.

Which visas is cambodia "tightening up on"

Also thailand did not tighten up. They removed two visa types and intriduced a non related useless metv. Suitable for exactly who. Will be interesting to see how many are issued over next 12 months.

when I was in Cambodia 3 weeks ago rumour of this was floating about everywhere. They are talking about the one year Visa that used to be referred to as a business Visa. Anyway their line of thinking at immigration is that no more such annual visas will be granted unless you also need for a work permit. In other words if you don't need a work permit because you don't have a business then they will argue you don't need a one year extension and you should only need a tourist Visa. This hasn't been implemented yet but when I was in Koh Kong I happened to be introduced to a retired immigration officer and he confirmed that there are going to be some big changes in the Cambodian Visa system.

When you have some facts to substantiate your rumor other than what's said by a retired immigration officer get back to us. Until then stick your rumors up your ... !!!

" According to Lt. Gen. Leakna, visa renewals for long-term residents will also be affected. He said new arrivals to Cambodia can acquire a one-month business visa then apply for a one-year extension.

“But after one year, if you can’t find a job, you have to go out of Cambodia and cannot extend more,” he said."

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/govt-to-strictly-enforce-work-permit-law-from-next-week-75520/

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/13889/work-permit-crackdown--westerners-next/

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2