METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Retirement means , well retired from work . Stopped working, retired .

Being a landlord IS working , you are running a business .

If you are running a business, you are not retired and therefore are abusing the Visa system by claiming that you are retired and no longer working

Quite so, by following up on late rent payment from Thailand (according to some here on TV) you will be working without a work permit.

Retirement extensions are intended purely for people who have all their life savings in cash in bank (remember, managing investments would be a no-no).

Of course, it is just possible that immigration/labor department might exhibit a modicum of pragmatism and common sense unlike some groups here on TV.

My point being that some "legitimate" people on retirement Visas who sneer at others on tourist visas are abusing the Visa system, just as much as long term people on tourist Visas .

People whom stay in Thailand, for a reason, like they have loved ones, have a reason to stay here , people who get Elite Visas have no reason to stay here .

They have legitimately bribed their way in

• Like 1

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

100k is no money. But i wouldn't pay that for 5 Years in advance.

Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

Actually, if Thailand would introduce a program like MM2H, i would sing up in a second.

Much better value than the Elite Visa, by far.

Sure it is a great deal just make sure you have $350,000 or whatever it is they require. LoL at the guy saying anybody can move to Canada and stay there if they have $17,000. I think there is a little more to it than. I am sure if somebody has that amount and just randomly comes off a plane from Nigeria he would just be welcomed with open arms. Edited by anotheruser

anotheruser, You don't get the point. Many, like myself would pay 100k for a Year. But for 5 Years? My plans can change. The Government can change, the stability of this country and many other variables.

Try Malaysia and see how much they ask to reside there. They have set the bar very low in Thailand.

Actually, if Thailand would introduce a program like MM2H, i would sing up in a second.

Sure it is a great deal just make sure you have $350,000 or whatever it is they require. LoL at the guy saying anybody can move to Canada and stay there if they have $17,000. I think there is a little more to it than. I am sure if somebody has that among and just randomly comes off a plane from Nigeria he would just be welcomed with open arms.

Likewise, I have the funding to easily be able to afford a Investment Visa here as well and that again, it is literally buying your way into the Country. Yet, for the life of me, I could not find a sound reason to invest 400K here as nothing is permanent and year in and year out, things are in a constant flux of change.

Just get it in your head that money can buy you what you want here. That is all they care about now.

Sure it is a great deal just make sure you have $350,000 or whatever it is they require.

Only need to deposit MYR300,000=2.5 million baht, if you under 50.

• Like 1

By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

I did spent three years on Visa exempt stamps .

There and back in a day , just needed to pay for a bus and 300 Baht for the Myanmar Visa

I quite often bought counterfeit goods back with me to fund the trip .

Three years staying for free or the Elite Visa would have cost 300 000 Baht for that duration

That is quite a big difference

Lol I hope this is just a joke. If not you are exactly the type of person they are trying to rid themselves of. Again this has to be a total wind up, Edited by anotheruser

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit. I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here. They should get rid of the 20,000 limit for over staying and charge 500 a day with no limit at all. The elite visa is around 300 a day it is cheaper than that would be. If you can not afford 300 Baht a day then Thailand really doesn't need you and the argument about how much you bring into the economy is a moot point.

The EV is a good option for anyone that wants to marry a Thai from the bars in Pattaya, Nana or Cowboy so before they buy build a house, buy a car or a tractor for the family thy should get a 5y visa upfront which still permits them to stay after the marriage fails a year later (when the house is build) and the car is paid off. See it all the time, they build a houses, buy cars, bikes etc but on the end no money for a real retirement visa so they need to use the sharks (visa mills) in Pattaya to get their extension on retirement.

The cousin of my lassie runs one of the largest visa mills in Pattaya with close links to the police and immigration. The stamps and accessories are even at her office.

So allegedly, your lassie cousin will have his business closed by next year?

I really don't care. She is so loaded with cash she could retire now with her 42 years.

In her 7 years in Pattaya she build herself many mansions and bought over 300 Rai of land.

Amazingly how she dumped her boyfriend at 19 because he didn't had enough money, then moved to Pattaya to got a farang sucker and dumped that old sucker to get one of the top cops in Pattaya as her hubby/door opener.

I have high respect for her but never took her services once as I prefer to get my visa once a year in my home country as compared to her visa mill.

You have high respect for someone who does illegal things & takes/pays bribes to become rich? clap2.gif

By the time people do all their visa hops and going back and forth, assuming you stay in a reasonable hotel and now more than likely have to fly there isn't a great difference in what you are paying.

I did spent three years on Visa exempt stamps .

There and back in a day , just needed to pay for a bus and 300 Baht for the Myanmar Visa

I quite often bought counterfeit goods back with me to fund the trip .

Three years staying for free or the Elite Visa would have cost 300 000 Baht for that duration

That is quite a big difference

Lol I hope this is just a joke. If not you a exactly the type of person they are trying to rid themselves of. Again this has to be a total wind up,

Nope. I got a new passport before I came here in 2010 and I have one tourist visa and the rest of my passport was full with VETs and VETs only , 64 VETs in total, including the VETs in my new passport .

I still have the old passport to prove it .

Lots of us used to do it , there were usually about ten mini buses at the border, all full of VET ers and plus others went on buses.................and cars .

There were about 500 of us doing it a day, everyday

• Like 1

Having rental incomes or indeed income streams is not "running a business"

Any income received is a business .

A pension is not money received, because its already your money .

Signing tenancy agreements, collecting rent and carrying out repairs IS working and therefore its a business and people not retired shouldnt be on a retirement Visa .

So, everyone that is sitting over here retired that looks at there share portfolio every day and buys and sells to fund there existence (like everyone in the world does), even if you are still on a pension, should not be on a retirement extension....

Best post of the day.... lol

"Looking at a share portfolio everyday & buying & selling to fund existence" isn't retired. They should get their retirement visa cancelled & go back to their home country or alternatively get an "appropriate visa" as many have said on this forum many times to people on Tourist Visas or ED Visas who do the same or are digital nomads. Wait!! There isn't an appropriate visa for that. Guess they should go home then lol...

Edited by bbi1

Sure it is a great deal just make sure you have $350,000 or whatever it is they require. LoL at the guy saying anybody can move to Canada and stay there if they have $17,000. I think there is a little more to it than. I am sure if somebody has that amount and just randomly comes off a plane from Nigeria he would just be welcomed with open arms.

You can lol as much as you want. My ex girlfriend from Thailand (whom I met in Canada while studying) applied for a cheapest, crappiest university in Canada and 3 years later is a Canadian permanent resident.

EDIT - forgot to add.

She completely stopped going to university once she met me.... probably expecting to sponsor her hi-so lifestyle.

So... she didn't even graduate.

"LOL"

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

They can't update because they don't know the details. Even informations on the updated consulates are not 100% sure. The one or other detail might change.

I have had the office in Canberra, Australia today tell me generally they know nothing as well at this stage and linked me to a old .pdf file saying the METV is going to be implemented.

I asked them a heap of questions and did not get a reply for one of them!

3 days to go and still no info on the Thai embassy website in London on METV requirements, come on pull your finger out!

That or the requirements are the same, only the price will change.

If That's the case, I am asking you to marry me ! lol

I have also been looking in on websites of Thai consulates in various countries, waiting for updates.

Quite a few have not changed anything and are still advertising a cost per entry under the tourist entry tab.

Some have not even updated the Chaengwattana address and still have the old Suan Phlu address for immigration in Bkk.

Makes me wonder if the "pay per entry" system will still be able to be used at some consulates.

And if one does manage to get a DE at such a consulate, will it be queried at Swampy on the way in?

Please stop nonesense re definition of retired. It all gets down to taxation office definition. This is reflected in ones tax returns. Even why retired one is allowed to earn certain level of income and still be ckassified as retired.

Also for example having several rentals providing income and filing a tax return reflective of this is by no means running a business. For heavens sake. Anyway this thread was about metv.

BTW i do not sneer at folk under 50 now looking at others ways to remain in los.

also all the rubbish about bending rules to use money as investment or orthrwise to obtain visa. Hello australia also has been doing that. The most commom takers on that deal....guess whi CHINEESE. buy an exoensive property stick your kid in it while they study au uni and parents get a visa. Happy days.

Back to metv

3 days to go and still no info on the Thai embassy website in London on METV requirements, come on pull your finger out!

If you look like chompoo araya hargate or even the girl with the bob in crazy house that will be good

Anyway good luck to everybody to find their work arounds to a problem that is easily fixed. It will be funny to see the angry TV mob all showing up at where ever the "easy" embassy is next. I would say I am off topic but I do not know what this thread is about anymore? Is it about the new visa regulations or how to get around them?

Easily "temporarily" fixed. Then after that, who knows? The thread is about the ways to Comply With the Regulations legally, and stay in Thailand without shelling out a large, advance lump-sum. If it isn't "large" to you, then go for it. I can have a lot of fun here on that much - much more fun to spend that on my gf - into the Thai Business Economy (and I dare say she would agree).

Not forgetting people on retirement Visas , who still have business interests back home and therefore are still officially not retired - People who rent out their property back home , should not get a retirement visa, because its flouting the regulations

Which regulations are being "flouted"

Precise details and links to the "regulations" please

Which is the same question those of us on TVs are asking. Exactly which regulations are we flouting, as we do whatever is asked to comply with them legally? Do we look for ways to do it by spending as little as possible on visas and airfare to get the visas? Sure - the same as someone who takes legal tax-deductions.

• Like 1

If you look like chompoo araya hargate or even the girl with the bob in crazy house that will be good

Oh dear! I have no clue what you are talking about, we don't share the same cultural references ... I sense a communication barrier already :)

Oh dear! I have no clue what you are talking about, we don't share the same cultural references ... I sense a communication barrier already smile.png

One is a top Thai-English model and the other is a go go girl in soi 23!

I'll check the embassy website again tomorrow.

Please stop nonesense re definition of retired. It all gets down to taxation office definition. This is reflected in ones tax returns. Even why retired one is allowed to earn certain level of income and still be ckassified as retired.

Also for example having several rentals providing income and filing a tax return reflective of this is by no means running a business. For heavens sake. Anyway this thread was about metv.

BTW i do not sneer at folk under 50 now looking at others ways to remain in los.

also all the rubbish about bending rules to use money as investment or orthrwise to obtain visa. Hello australia also has been doing that. The most commom takers on that deal....guess whi CHINEESE. buy an exoensive property stick your kid in it while they study au uni and parents get a visa. Happy days.

Back to metv

This reallly has nothing to do with the UK .

You are not living there and you donrt live there on a a retirement Visa .

So, the UKs policy is irrelevant to your status in Thailand .

Thailand has very strict rules about working, even pouring someone a drink in your own bar is seen as working .

Being a landlord and stockbroking, IS working .

All youve done is to move your office, where you carry out the work, to Thailand .

That isnt allowed .

Retirement is when you finish working .

Moving your office to somewhere cheaper and continuing to work, IS working .

You need to go and apply for business Visa and to stop pretending that you are not working

It's funny how holier than though folks on retirement visa start behaving once they are caught red-handed working illegally in Thailand.

They start to make all kinds of excuses.

But they seem to have issues with "digital nomads"

Fact is even if you check your stock portfolio, you are working in Thailand and breaking the law.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if immigration next move is to move retirement age to 65.

After all this is the official retirement age in most countries.

Then they'll cry on this forum how life is unfair.

Mark my words.

• Like 2

To say this is flawd thinking is putting it mildly. You seem to think people can not afford 500k, and you don't allow for possibilty that they may simply choose to not waste their money.

You choose to pay 500k for something, that doesn't cost 500k, there is term for that.

Being "in the Elite" , doesnt come cheap .

The money that I have saved from not having an Elite Visa , I shall spend it on the title "Lord of Bermondsey" from E-Bay .

"Lord Luke of Bermondsey" I also get a coat of Arms .

And that will last for ever.............not just for five years

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit.

I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here.

This is the strangest thing I've heard all day.

If I don't give away 500.000 baht, I can't afford to be here? What! This is very strange line of thinking. Why would I give away 500k? Do you know anybody who pays money, for something that can be had free, or a low fee.

I am a tourist, I stay every winter, 6 months, and I use Tourist Visa, because I am a tourist. Now, you may feel like giving away 500k, and think it is smart thing to do, but trust, very few would agree with you lol.

So I sit at Starbucks, hre on triple entry Tourist Visa, guy next to me gave away 500k for the same thing, who's the smart piggy?

You argue guy like me has no business being in Thailand in the first place, that it truly odd thing to say.

To say this is flawd thinking is putting it mildly. You seem to think people can not afford 500k, and you don't allow for possibilty that they may simply choose to not waste their money.

You choose to pay 500k for something, that doesn't cost 500k, there is term for that.

Yep, I prefer to be the smart piggy as things change here too much.

The only difference is I have to go home once every 15 months and apply for the METV. Sure I have to do a few things. Get my parents that run a Company to say I have a job to go home to on a Company Letter Head. Season 200K for 6 months is easy as I like to have a bit of spare cash around. Buy a exit ticket to Penang or Laos to get gain another SETV for 3 months. Do a SETV twice and head back home.

Rinse and repeat for two more years till I am 50. Might even be able to get 18 months out of this.

Lots cheaper then 500K using Air Asia specials of $350 in total to get home once every 15-18 months. Take my partner on holidays with me. Okay, I might have to go home every now and again but to keep my Medicare going in Australia, I have to go home every 2-3 years for a few weeks.

Okay, the METV might be sucky to work around in the fact you got to go home but it maybe workable. Time will tell.

I think it is pretty obvious the Thai elite visa is there for anybody wishing to get a visa that doesn't have a retirement visa or a work permit.

I used to think people were snobs who said this but seriously if you can't stump up the 500k to get the elite visa you really can't afford to be over here.

If I don't give away 500.000 baht, I can't afford to be here? What! This is very strange line of thinking. Why would I give away 500k? Do you know anybody who pays money, for something that can be had free, or a low fee.

I am a tourist, I stay every winter, 6 months, and I use Tourist Visa, because I am a tourist. Now, you may feel like giving away 500k, and think it is smart thing to do, but trust, very few would agree with you lol.

So I sit at Starbucks, hre on triple entry Tourist Visa, guy next to me gave away 500k for the same thing, who's the smart piggy?

You argue guy like me has no business being in Thailand in the first place, that it truly odd thing to say.

The only difference is I have to go home once every 15 months and apply for the METV. Sure I have to do a few things. Get my parents that run a Company to say I have a job to go home to on a Company Letter Head. Season 200K for 6 months is easy as I like to have a bit of spare cash around. Buy a exit ticket to Penang or Laos to get gain another SETV for 3 months. Do a SETV twice and head back home.

Rinse and repeat for two more years till I am 50. Might even be able to get 18 months out of this.

Lots cheaper then 500K using Air Asia specials of $350 in total to get home once every 15-18 months. Take my partner on holidays with me. Okay, I might have to go home every now and again but to keep my Medicare going in Australia, I have to go home every 2-3 years for a few weeks.

Okay, the METV might be sucky to work around in the fact you got to go home but it maybe workable. Time will tell.

Sounds good apart from the stated intent to use a fraudulent letter.

It's funny how holier than though folks on retirement visa start behaving once they are caught red-handed working illegally in Thailand.

Fact is even if you check your stock portfolio, you are working in Thailand and breaking the law.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if immigration next move is to move retirement age to 65.

Mark my words.

How is checking my stock portfolio working? Or reading an email from the company that manages my rental property? By that logic, looking at a bank statement where I've earned interest is also working!!!

However, if somebody paid me to look after their share portfolio, or paid me for information to use for their portfolio then I would be working as I'd be carrying out an activity for another in exchange for payment.

So clearly if you're a "Digital Nomad" and are (in exchange for payment)...

- Designing/Coding/Testing/Documenting

- Managing somebody else's websites

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Writing (paid for) subscription articles

- Selling stuff on eBay

... You're working... Irrespective of whether the customer/cash is in Thailand.

Edited by JB300

Sounds good apart from the stated intent to use a fraudulent letter.

Nope, not fraudulent at all. I am on the books as the Company Secretary and have been on those books for over 20 years. It is a stated position within the company. My parents are the Managing Directors and over the years I have worked for them many times. Every year I have to sign off on there books, so, nothing 'fraudulent' to it at all.

Mark my words.

How is checking my stock portfolio working? Or reading an email from the company that manages my rental property? By that logic, looking at a bank statement where I've earned interest is also working!!!

However, if somebody paid me to look after their share portfolio, or paid me for information to use for their portfolio then I would be working as I'd be carrying out an activity for another in exchange for payment.

So clearly if you're a "Digital Nomad" and are (in exchange for payment)...

- Designing/Coding/Testing/Documenting

- Managing somebody else's websites

- performing SEO

- Writing Books

- Writing (paid for) subscription articles

- Selling stuff on eBay

... You're working... Irrespective of whether the customer/cash is in Thailand.

It doesn't matter what you think.

By law, you are required to have a work permit regarding activities you have just described above.

You are checking your portfolio from Thailand? You are working,

You are managing your rentals from Thailand? You are working.

Bank sends you a statement via email and you open it in Thailand? You are working.

It doesn't matter one iota what you think and your comparison to digital nomads is irrelevant. You are as guilty as a digital nomad for working illegally in Thailand.

Period.

• Like 2