2015 Honda Accord or 2008 Benz S300?

I could live with a C200 instead of the C300 no problem. The new C200 is pretty nice and around 2.6M THB, more like 75k.

If you really want a SUV but have an interest in a used prestige brand, how about a used Volvo XC60 or BMW X3?

3 year old Volvos are around half the 3M THB new price.

The pre-2010 prev generation X3s are cheap.

Less prestige than the S Class but more practical. coffee1.gif

The C300 is only about 200,000 more than the C200 because of the tax benefits of a Hybrid.

The S300 is still far safer for vehicle to vehicle collisions and much harder to lose control of. If you plan to drive them into a brick wall at speed, I'm not sure which would be better but I'd still take the s class.

The s class has a far nicer interior (in terms of build quality and old world charn) but something in the same price range as a top spec accord would be in poor condition and no matter how nice it once was, a new accord would be nicer.

In any case, total cost of ownership are in completely different ranges, the s300 would cost about 600,000 per year for 5 years while a new top spec accord would be closer to 300,000.

Consider a 2008 7 series, not as pretty (inside and out) but otherwise a comparable car that you can get a very good condition example for around 1.2M.

I'm a little confused regarding your figures on total cost of ownership for the vehicles...you say the Benz would cost B 600k (over US$ 15k) PER year to run and operate or for the 5 year period (B 120k per year)? And what is included in this...gas and scheduled maintenance, and maybe a set of tires?

Not sure about the Honda either...US$ 10k per year seems a bit high or am I misunderstanding you?

I'll check up on the beemers.

PS: You were right...a quick check brought up this car at around the price you figured: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=2136429

Now the question is why are 7 year old BMWs half the price of similarly aged S classes when they start out about the same price? Maybe the Beemers cost even more to service and maintain?

Total cost of ownership, per year.

Cost of capital (3%) + Maintenance (everything including risk of large bills, rental replacements when in the shop, etc) + Depreciation (assuming 5 year ownership) + Petrol (10,000km/year) + Insurance (class dependent on vehicle type)

The Honda came out very high as the depreciation was a killer. It would have a resale value of about 600,000 in 5 years which is 260,000 per year alone in depreciation, add the other factors and it goes a bit over 300,000.

CoC of 3% pa is the figure I use if you have cash to buy it (opportunity cost of not being able to invest it elsewhere), if you need to borrow then that will naturally be higher.

The large cost difference between the 7 series and the S class is partially because the 7 series is an older model (2002 - 2008) while the S class is 2005 - 2013, this gives the S class a little more prestige and in theory, slightly better features. Additionally older Mercs tend to be more popular than BMWs and there's a perception that they're more reliable (which is certainly true when talking about really old cars).

The S300 is still far safer for vehicle to vehicle collisions and much harder to lose control of. If you plan to drive them into a brick wall at speed, I'm not sure which would be better but I'd still take the s class.

The s class has a far nicer interior (in terms of build quality and old world charn) but something in the same price range as a top spec accord would be in poor condition and no matter how nice it once was, a new accord would be nicer.

In any case, total cost of ownership are in completely different ranges, the s300 would cost about 600,000 per year for 5 years while a new top spec accord would be closer to 300,000.

Consider a 2008 7 series, not as pretty (inside and out) but otherwise a comparable car that you can get a very good condition example for around 1.2M.

I'm a little confused regarding your figures on total cost of ownership for the vehicles...you say the Benz would cost B 600k (over US$ 15k) PER year to run and operate or for the 5 year period (B 120k per year)? And what is included in this...gas and scheduled maintenance, and maybe a set of tires?

Not sure about the Honda either...US$ 10k per year seems a bit high or am I misunderstanding you?

I'll check up on the beemers.

PS: You were right...a quick check brought up this car at around the price you figured: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=2136429

Now the question is why are 7 year old BMWs half the price of similarly aged S classes when they start out about the same price? Maybe the Beemers cost even more to service and maintain?

Because Thais are clueless probably. You could stick a Merc badge on a Dullota and they wouldn't know the difference.

Maybe but I'm sure there's a more likely explanation.

Another explanation is that the customer base for 7-series are buying new cars. Those who can afford a limo with a driver is not buying 2nd hand.

I am actually considering (in a 5 years perspective) to buy a hugely discounted 3 year old 7-series, still in warranty..

• 2 weeks later...