Decent locks (not necessarily bike-specific)

darkian

I'm looking for a good quality chain and padlock - something pretty solid, like an Abus or copy. I did try Panda and Paddock for locks but only found bike-specific options like twistgrip locks, disk locks, electric alarm locks etc.

I know that some hardware shops sell metal chain by the meter but I don't think it's particularly good quality, so I'd be looking to buy a chain that's made specifically for security. And then a good supplier of high quality padlocks would be helpful.

Any ideas appreciated!

I brought a metre long cable lock with a 5 digit code from Thaiwasdu for under 500B,plastic coated and thick twisted steel cable.

Someone forgot the code and I had to cut it off,bolt cutters were no good and i had to use a cutting disc,so pretty strong.

I know not a chain,but I wasn't looking for one. They might have what you want.

Edited by MAZ3

^^ Where do you live ?

One place to start in Bangkok would be the cable shop near Tesco Rama 4 . They sell stuff for ships! But they won't have square section security chain. (Which can still be cut)

Edited by VocalNeal

Its kinda big, and kinda heavy….. for years I've been using a kryptonite 2 meter cable and a Kryptonite U-lock. Bicycle locks. Not only does the bike get locked… you can lock it to something. Can easily do both wheels and a post for example.

Years back in Kanchanaburi (?) I went out to my bike in the morning, at that time a cbr 150, The bike was two feet away from where I parked it. There was a dent in the cable where someone tried bolt cutters. I had the cable wrapped around a sign, so it was anchored. Just that one night paid for the 5,000 baht I paid for the lock and cable, 22 years ago.

Its kinda big, and kinda heavy….. for years I've been using a kryptonite 2 meter cable and a Kryptonite U-lock. Bicycle locks. Not only does the bike get locked… you can lock it to something. Can easily do both wheels and a post for example.

Years back in Kanchanaburi (?) I went out to my bike in the morning, at that time a cbr 150, The bike was two feet away from where I parked it. There was a dent in the cable where someone tried bolt cutters. I had the cable wrapped around a sign, so it was anchored. Just that one night paid for the 5,000 baht I paid for the lock and cable, 22 years ago.

Go on say it someone stole the sign lol.

Hefty price to pay for a lock some years back but all's well that ends well.