joint bank account statement O A Long Stay Visa application in UK

Hi

I have trawled the web and this forum and also tried on numerous occasion to contact Thai Embassy in London but can never get through. So I was wondering if any UK couple have applied for OA long stay visa at the Thai Embassy in London.

We are a married couple and applying for the O A long stay Visa. According to their website the applicant needs to show bank statement showing £20000 then the spouse (me) gets a non o visa. Our money is in a joint account. Does anyone who has applied for this visa as a married couple know if a joint account statement is ok. I know it is not in Thailand, but this is the UK embassy so need info from someone with knowledge of the U.K end or anyone who may have applied for the OA.

Many thanks

Unfortunately, Flossie, the Royal Thai Embassy in London have developed the art of studiously refusing to answer the telephone to ultimate perfection, as I discovered myself prior to submitting my own OA visa application there 7 years ago!

In these circumstances, you would probably be best advised to assume the worst as regards the bank statement for your husband's OA visa application. How easy would it be to get your bank to register him as the sole holder of your joint account?

Alternatively, might your husband be in receipt of an occupational pension amounting to at least £1,300 per month? If so, this would also appear to satisfy the Embassy's financial requirements, according to their website at http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Thank you for your post. I can tell you what happens when you phone Thai embassy. You phone, and are put in a que and are sweet talked by a very lovely Thai lady recording, which differs slightly as you wait but is soothing as she reassures you are important and how she appreciates you calling etc... I am fooled and I must add at this point I am a women! So I wait and I wait and I am very patient having learned the art of patience from my previous stays In the LOS immigration. After 30 minutes the phone rings and I am in heaven, yes yes I am through. Then click I am through to an answer machine asking me to leave a message or press 1 for an operator. I press 1 and a real Thai person answers who then promptly puts me back in the que again............. I have done this 6 times now just to hear a lovely Thai lady soothe me her accent and bring my probably distorted happy memories of Thailand. But it is cold and miserable in the uk so maybe I will try again tomorrow.

Hi yes. I am calling at the hours you state and the number. One of the messages say they are experiencing a high number of calls. I have been trying on and off at these times over past two weeks. I will try the email you have given. I think we will transfer monies to husband only account which is a pain as it pays no interest but I will do it a month before we go to the embassy then get the bank to give us a statement and reference letter. Part from this I think we have everything else sorted. Not sure what happens when we arrive in Thailand regarding the non O visa I will have but will ask when I collect the visa from Thai Embassy in UK. Any knowledge on the process when I arrive? I think I need to go to immigration and extend for a year on basis of my husbands OA long stay? Many thanks for your help.

Well, at least you do get some sort of answer when you phone the London Embassy these days, it would seem! All I got whenever I tried to call them between the appointed times in 2008 was the ringing tone!!

Anyway, when you arrive in Thailand on your non-O visa, your passport should be stamped with an “Admitted Until” date equal to 90 days from the date you enter Thailand (including the entry date itself), rather than from the date of the visa.

What happens thereafter in your case will depend on whether the Embassy have issued you with a single-entry (S) or a multi-entry (M) non-O visa.

If a single-entry visa, then you will need to apply for an annual extension of stay at your local immigration office before the “Admitted Until” date stamped in your passport expires.

In the case of a multi-entry visa, however, you will need to do a border run just before the “Admitted Until” date expires, whereupon your passport should be stamped with a further “Admitted Until” date equal to 90 days from your re-entry date (including the re-entry date itself). By repeating this process approximately every 3 months until just before the expiry date of your visa, you should, in practice, be able to get nearly 15 months out of the visa before you need to start applying for annual extensions of stay at your local immigration office.

Normally you will be able to apply for an extension of stay up to 30 days in advance of the latest “Admitted Until” date stamped in your passport. A few immigration offices do, however, allow applications to be submitted up to 45 days beforehand.

The immigration criteria which you will need to satisfy as a prerequisite to an extension of stay being granted are set out in paragraph 2.20 of Police Order No. 777/2551 which is downloadable in PDF form via the following link:-

http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=153821

For ease of reference, paragraph 2.20 states:-

“(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

“(2) Must have proof of relationship.

“(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto; or

“(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age; or (5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.”

Well, at least you do get some sort of answer when you phone the London Embassy these days, it would seem! All I got whenever I tried to call them between the appointed times in 2008 was the ringing tone!!

Anyway, when you arrive in Thailand on your non-O visa, your passport should be stamped with an “Admitted Until” date equal to 90 days from the date you enter Thailand (including the entry date itself), rather than from the date of the visa.

What happens thereafter in your case will depend on whether the Embassy have issued you with a single-entry (S) or a multi-entry (M) non-O visa.

If a single-entry visa, then you will need to apply for an annual extension of stay at your local immigration office before the “Admitted Until” date stamped in your passport expires.

In the case of a multi-entry visa, however, you will need to do a border run just before the “Admitted Until” date expires, whereupon your passport should be stamped with a further “Admitted Until” date equal to 90 days from your re-entry date (including the re-entry date itself). By repeating this process approximately every 3 months until just before the expiry date of your visa, you should, in practice, be able to get nearly 15 months out of the visa before you need to start applying for annual extensions of stay at your local immigration office.

Normally you will be able to apply for an extension of stay up to 30 days in advance of the latest “Admitted Until” date stamped in your passport. A few immigration offices do, however, allow applications to be submitted up to 45 days beforehand.

The immigration criteria which you will need to satisfy as a prerequisite to an extension of stay being granted are set out in paragraph 2.20 of Police Order No. 777/2551 which is downloadable in PDF form via the following link:-

“(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age; or (5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over.”

Most of that comment is irrelevant and misleading !

The OP clearly states that it is an O/A Long Stay Visa is being applied for.

Correctly used almost 2 years can be enjoyed before an extension of stay is required.

• Like 1

Correctly used almost 2 years can be enjoyed before an extension of stay is required.

The OP has said in a previous thread that it is her husband who is applying for the non-OA visa, and that she is applying for a non-O visa as his dependant.

See her posting at #24 in the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/859497-birmingham-uk-consulate-now-not-issuing-90-day-non-immigrant-visa/

Edited by OJAS

The OP has said in a previous thread that it is her husband who is applying for the non-OA visa, and that she is applying for a non-O visa as his dependant.

See her posting at #24 in the thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/859497-birmingham-uk-consulate-now-not-issuing-90-day-non-immigrant-visa/

Which she will use to secure an extension of stay !

No need for any "border running" etc.

Which she will use to secure an extension of stay !

No need for any "border running" etc.

So are you 100% confident, then, that the London Embassy will only issue her with a single-entry non-O visa for dependancy?

If so, kindly provide your source of information here in the form of a suitable link or attachment!

If the Embassy will issue her with a multi-entry non-O visa, why should she waste the greater part of it by applying for an extension of stay considerably sooner than she needs to? And precisely on what grounds do you assume that border runs will necessarily prove awkward in her case??

Edited by OJAS

Hi and thank you to everyone who is trying to help me. From information from ubonjoe I understand they have amended things slightly and that as long as my husband has an O A Longstay visa and I am issued as a dependent and given non O visa this can extended for one year. I am presuming the non O will last for 90 dAys before which time I go with my husband to immigration and they will extend for one year? Please only posts about OA long stay visas and spouse.

I am also wondering whether to apply for an OA in my name instead so we both travel with OA Longstay. However worried that in nearly 2 years ( I am aware we can exit before expiry and get nearly two years) time we will not have enough money for us both to qualify for extension of stay. Will I be able to get extension of stay based on the requirements for my husband I,e 800000 baht seasoned for two months. I am aware I can have Non O visa and my husband has OA but not what happens if we both present with OA for extension.

Ok many thanks. Think may get O A each then

If you do that please remember that will require both of you to be able to demonstrate the equivalent of 800,000 Bht in two,separate, individual bank accounts.

You can easily obtain an extension of stay as a dependent of your husband with no need to show any money.

Edited by oncearugge

If you do that please remember that will require both of you to be able to demonstrate the equivalent of 800,000 Bht in two,separate, individual bank accounts.

Not sure whether £40,000 in your joint UK account would, likewise, work either for the purposes of applying for your respective OA visas from the London Embassy.

If you do both decide to go down the OA route, please note that, when the time eventually comes for you to start applying for annual extensions of stay in Thailand, there also exists the alternative option for each (or one or other) of you to prove finances on the basis of 65,000 THB minimum monthly income as confirmed in a letter which you will need to obtain from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Not sure whether £40,000 in your joint UK account would, likewise, work either for the purposes of applying for your respective OA visas from the London Embassy.

If you do both decide to go down the OA route, please note that, when the time eventually comes for you to start applying for annual extensions of stay in Thailand, there also exists the alternative option for each (or one or other) of you to prove finances on the basis of 65,000 THB minimum monthly income as confirmed in a letter which you will need to obtain from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

PS - upon further reflection, I can see no reason why you cannot, in fact, still apply for an extension of stay based on dependency in due course, even if you have obtained an OA visa yourself. An acquaintance of mine who obtained his OA visa from the London Embassy at the same time as I did mine subsequently applied for extensions of stay here based on marriage rather than retirement, for example (he is a fellow Thaivisa member so, if you would like to check this with him, please PM me).

Accordingly there would not be any need for you to prove finances at extension of stay time. And there would be the further advantage that you and your husband could apply for your annual extensions at the same time. Were you to obtain a non-O based on dependency initially, these would always be out of kilter with each other by 3 or 9 months (depending on which way you look at things).

"Were you to obtain a non-O based on dependency initially, these would always be out of kilter with each other by 3 or 9 months (depending on which way you look at things)."

Nonsense!

An extension provided on the basis of dependency always matches the expiry date of the of the visa/extension the "dependency" is linked to.

Hi I am a slightly confused now on the best route. If I understand correctly I have two options.

1. We both get individual OA Long stay from London Embassy. These will last nearly two years if we exit Thailand just prior to the expiry date and will be re stamped for nearly another year. From ubonjoe information my husband can then apply for extension of stay for one year, with usual 800000 baht seasoned for two months ( we don't have a pension) and I can get my extension of stay based on being his spouse. No way are we transferring 2 X 800000 into the country for us both.

Or

2. My husband gets OA Longstay and I get non O as his dependent at London embassy, then I extend for one year in Thailand before the 90 days are up?However I have read no reports on how I could stay nearly 2 years. What happens when I go out of the country just prior to the expiry date with my husband, I can't see how they would stamp me in for another 12 months. Am I missing something here?

Some concerns I have is if we both get O A long stay will I definitely be able to apply for extension of stay as dependent. Or is safer to be a dependent from the beginning with just an O visa. In that case I am worried I won't be able to extend another year when we we fly in and out of Thailand to extend my husbands OA, or will at this stage we just apply for extension of stay after 12 months.

I hope all this doesn't sound too confusing.

Hi I am a slightly confused now on the best route. If I understand correctly I have two options.

1. We both get individual OA Long stay from London Embassy. These will last nearly two years if we exit Thailand just prior to the expiry date and will be re stamped for nearly another year. From ubonjoe information my husband can then apply for extension of stay for one year, with usual 800000 baht seasoned for two months ( we don't have a pension) and I can get my extension of stay based on being his spouse. No way are we transferring 2 X 800000 into the country for us both.

Or

2. My husband gets OA Longstay and I get non O as his dependent at London embassy, then I extend for one year in Thailand before the 90 days are up?However I have read no reports on how I could stay nearly 2 years. What happens when I go out of the country just prior to the expiry date with my husband, I can't see how they would stamp me in for another 12 months. Am I missing something here?

Some concerns I have is if we both get O A long stay will I definitely be able to apply for extension of stay as dependent. Or is safer to be a dependent from the beginning with just an O visa. In that case I am worried I won't be able to extend another year when we we fly in and out of Thailand to extend my husbands OA, or will at this stage we just apply for extension of stay after 12 months.

I hope all this doesn't sound too confusing.

Option 2 is your best choice.

If you leave the country whist on an extension of stay you need to have a re-entry permit.

Extensions are for a max of one year and are easily renewed.